I bought a fly trap

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:27 pm
It was cheap, and I'm already getting a good body count. Mostly, I wanted to pass along a Helpful Hint from the instruction.

"Never seal dead flies in a closed container. Doing so may result in a hazardous explosion". Don't believe me? Just run out and buy a Starbar Trap 'N Toss Fly trap.

Now I'm wondering. Is this fly trap registered with BATF, or is it the nature of flies to spontaneously explode when in a closed container? And what does 'closed container' mean? I was thinking of tossing the trap full of deceased flies into the trash cart. It's a closed container - sort of. Are they thinking someone was going to order a bunch of very small caskets and hold some kind of little memorial service. Not me.

I recall there is a thread around here devoted to odd instructions, but I've no idea where.

Discuss

Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:34 pm
@roger,
that's another good reason to use a venus style trap instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:36 am
@roger,
Well, it seems to me that the Bill of Rights defends your right
to such a device, but not to the small caskets.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:18 am
@roger,
maybe its a generator of methane or amines that can spontaneously explode.
Also,i f the damn thing was made in China or somehwere else in Asia, they have a major misunderstanding of many of our words (such as explosion).
Ive often read some instruction manuals of a particular piece of electronics where the admonitions to safety are a little over the top. reember they probably used some ESL who doesnt really have a grasp of the fact that idiomatic phrases are incorporated within our speech
jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:36 am
@roger,
Will this flytrap work on mosquitos as well? Those little suckers are real pests here in Florida.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:44 am
@jcboy,
The best way to deal with mosquitos is a night hawk. They won't want to live at your house, though--too many dogs.
jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:51 am
@Setanta,
We have to spray the yard to keep them off the dogs, I believe their flea medicine helps but my vet told me mosquito’s do bit the dogs and that’s what causes heartworms.
jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:00 am
Here I thought this topic was going to be about Venus Fly Trap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:07 am
Swifts and swallows also go after mosquitos, but they also go to sleep when the sun goes down. However, you might be able to attract them, if they are native to the area, with a bird house on a very tall pole. Some of the common types are barn swallows and chimney swifts--as the names imply, they like to nest high up. Bats eat mosquitos, too, but i can't think of any way you'd be able to get bats to roost on your property. Here's a page about attracting swifts, swallows and martins.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:12 am
@roger,
Quote:
"Never seal dead flies in a closed container. Doing so may result in a hazardous explosion". Don't believe me? Just run out and buy a Starbar Trap 'N Toss Fly trap.

From this sentiment, I can assume that either flies are sleeper cell agents and possible suicide bombers for Al Qaeda or they're cooking up meth in these closed containers.
vishal1234

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Now I'm wondering. Is this fly trap registered with BATF, or is it the nature of flies to spontaneously explode when in a closed container? And what does 'closed container' mean? I was thinking of tossing the trap full of deceased flies into the trash cart. It's a closed container - sort of. Are they thinking someone was going to order a bunch of very small caskets and hold some kind of little memorial service. Not me.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:39 am
@roger,
hmm - this makes me want to try it....don't mention it to any kids, I'm sure they would do this just to see the little bodies explode.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:29 am
@jcboy,
We have the same problem here in parts of Canada. Winnipeg used to spray all over the city a couple times each summer, which really helped. In the house I use mosquito coils - they work fabulously. Might spray your dogs with Deep Woods or Muskol or some such repellant if they're that big of a problem. I spray myself when walking the dogs in the dog park, they're so numerous and persistent.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:41 am
@vishal1234,
its simple chemistry. Methane is the preferred gas of decomp when in a non-oxygenated environment. So are amine compounds like "cadaverine " or "putrescine"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:21 am
@jcboy,
I doubt it works on mosquitos. There was no cautions regarding body disposal on mosquitos. Also, they would have been advertising a feature like that to the roof tops.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:24 am
@farmerman,
I hadn't thought of methane production. Maybe. The instruction sheet does say Made in U.S.A., but that may mean the sheet, not the product. It doesn't read like an ESL project, in any case.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:53 am
@roger,
What really scares me is that this topic brought up "Marry Thailand Women"...
roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:26 am
@Linkat,
Wow. That is scary. I wonder how they made the connection.

What I'm getting is advertisements from U-Haul. I visited their website recently.
jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:08 am
@Mame,
I may have to look into getting some of that spray. I made a bad choice when I bought the fountain for the backyard, the mosquitoes are breeding in it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:33 am
@roger,
that is even more scary - I don't remember looking for thailand women to marry.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I bought a fly trap
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:43:38