I bought a fly trap

Irishk

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
@roger,
U-Haul? Er, just how many flies are you catching???
roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
@Irishk,
Like I said, there's a pretty good body count already.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:15 pm
@roger,
oh great now it says "Date sexy Thai Women" and "Mature Singles over 40" and then "Project Management Cert"
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:11 pm
@jcboy,
if the water is moving, mosquitos should not be able to breed.

or put a few small guppies or white clouds in the fountain. they will not need any other food than the larvae...
jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm
@Rockhead,
That's what someone I know suggested I do! I was afraid the dogs would try to eat them though lol, sometimes I catch them drinking out of the fountain.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:58 pm
@roger,
How does this thing work? Do you have a pic of it you can show us?
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:43 pm
@Reyn,
It consists of two blocks of wood, labeled "A" and "B".

The instructions say to
"Place fly on block A and hit with block B."
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:54 pm
@roger,
I missed this. So far (shush, osso) only one fly. No cockroaches yet (be quiet, they'll hear me). Something like ten crickets. But - I am not afraid of them or even very irritated.

Is your fly trap yellow? I bought a yellow one last year, the flies ignored it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:55 pm
@Rockhead,
I read up on those again recently and there was some reason I thought they wouldn't work here, probably about humidity - will have to read that again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:07 pm
@jcboy,
In LA, some city department (mosquito abatement?) gave away fish to eat the mosquito larvae.

So, a little pond adaptation - my own pond was a 36" wide concrete container with drainage and pump cord holes on the side (which I could stop up with a rubber stopper or silicone) and gravel part of the way up (it was also about 36" high), water hyacinths, a pump spout for water movement, and, the fish - cheap at any pet store that sells fish (name like gambusa).

Then all you have to watch out for are night herons that like fish.
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:08 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing Hmm, Sounds kind of complicated to use. Needs to be made simpler.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:10 pm
@Reyn,
I don't have a picture, but I'll try to describe. It's about a 6" diameter cylinder with a domed top. Entry is through a funnel shaped set up at the bottom. You add water and attractant till the level is a couple of inches below the top of the funnel. It looks like flies can swim for awhile, but eventually tire. It's really not very ornamental.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:42 am
@roger,
You sick bast**d - that seems like torture for the little guys. The poor things moving their little legs and wings, trying with all their little mights to stay afloat and breathe only to suffer a torturous death.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:53 am
@Linkat,
I thought they were having fun back stroking around the little lake I created for them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:49 pm
@roger,
we have a similar flycatcher in the barn. We calls em "BIG STINKY's). You will find out why after but a few days.

Its the methan thats exposive if the design is like a BS.
Stinky's were invente in the 1930's and Im sure theyve been update with new musculine technology
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:02 pm
@farmerman,
Crap! No wonder I was having to change the cat box every day. The instructions did say for outdoor and barn use. I was thinking that might be related to the exploding fly thing, on which I was willing to gamble.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, since I didn't always have the pump going and mosquitos would then lurk, the fish were added anti larvae security.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Fortunately, around here the mosquitos don't have very many breeding areas.
aspvenom

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:37 pm
@roger,
Speaking about mosquitoes, I had the craziest dream.
I dreamed I was a zombie virus in a mosquito that came and bit Bill Nye the Science Guy. And he became a zombie, and it was my fault. This was yesterday night.

So on the off chance that I'm in a zombie apocalypse, I'm gonna be stocking up on mosquito repellant and Twinkies.

I clearly need to stop having zombie movie marathons.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:40 pm
@aspvenom,
You could be right.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:58:45