Never go to war with anyone who buys ink by the barrel.

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:49 pm
I first heard this saying years ago when newspapers were king.

In the internet age is this still relevant?

Would anyone under... say... 20... have any idea what this meant?

Where do you turn for good, in depth, journalism?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,657 • Replies: 5

parados

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:53 pm
@boomerang,
Never go to war with anone that has 5,000 friends on Facebook.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:08 am
Never go to war.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:48 am
@boomerang,
It will be like most sayings, doesn't really make sense, but is still used. Then one day you think, why the h*ll do you say that? And then you look towards the origin and say ahhhh.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:55 am
I was thinking about this phrase yesterday when someone told me about getting coupons for a canceled flight they were supposed to be on. They were told the coupon was good for a flight anywhere but were later told that it was only good for a flight to the place it had been scheduled to go.

I was telling them about the consumer advocate for our newspaper and suggested they write to them. This guy always seems to be able to resolve things in the interest of the consumer, even when the consumer didn't really understand the terms of the contract/whatever.

The companies always seemed to want to present a good image in the paper so they would go the extra mile to resolve things in the customers favor instead of risking bad press. They don't want to go to war with anyone who buys ink by the barrel .

Growing up, Ralph Nadar was a very famous, THE go-to-guy, consumer advocate. I can't think of anyone to compare him to anymore. I think people just hire lawyers now.....
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:03 am
@boomerang,
I see this also on the local news - Help me Hank is one of our locals that will do this and then they show the stuff on the news.
0 Replies