Chicken, chicken, who's got some chicken? (Or other new recipes)

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 08:21 pm
@Irishk,
Sigh, I need a double boiler..
Irishk

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 09:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't have one, either. I just set a bowl over a simmering pot of water and hold it while I whisk.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:42 pm
I sometimes buy a whole chicken, cut it up and spread it out onto a roast pan, pour some olive oil, honey and lemon juice, salt and pepper, toss everything around so all the pieces are covered, add grape tomatoes, garlic, lemon slices, herbs, and whatever other vegetables I want and roast the chicken at 400 F for 30 - 45 minutes, depending on your oven and when the chicken is done. It's so simple, but so delicious!

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3387/153111.png
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
Since I've been in Austria recently again (marriage of one of the Austrian nieces, a real traditional 'Upper Styrian wedding'), we got (better than in Vienna!) Vienna schnitzel there .... and 'Backhendl'

http://i48.tinypic.com/a3y1z.jpg

Quote:

The Backhendl (fried breaded chicken) is a well-known delicacy of the Viennese cuisine. At the beginning of the 19th century, the period of Biedermeier, the Backhendl was the culinary symbol of wealth of the aristocracy and bourgeoisie. Since the end of the revolution of 1848 the Backhendl has found its way into everyone’s kitchen. Do you also want to try this tasty delicacy of gentility? Here is your recipe.

Servings: 4

Ingredients:
2 chicken (small) + liver
200 g (2 cups) flour
300 g (2 ¾ cups) bread crumbs
5 eggs (whisked) peanut oil
1 bunch parsley
salt
Here is your recipe for this Viennese delicacy:
Cut the chicken into pieces, separating the wings and legs, the breast from the back, and halve length-ways. (The neck and back can be used for chicken soup). Leave the bones on the wings and the breast. De-bone the thighs and drumsticks with a small sharp knife. Remove all the skin. Salt the chicken pieces well, and dredge first in flour then in the beaten egg yolk and finally in the breadcrumbs.

Heat enough oil for deep frying in a pan and wait until it gets very hot. Put the chicken deep enough into the hot oil so the chicken swims. Fry (at about 160 °C/325F) for 20–30 minutes. Turn over once so it fries evenly. About 15 minutes into frying the chicken, salt and bread the liver and add to the frying pan. Remove the chicken and drain well on kitchen paper. Sprinkle optionally with salt. Briefly fry the parsley and use to garnish the chicken.

Special tip: Enjoy with white wine – classical and dry

Suggested Side Dishes: Potato salad with core oil

While above is the Vienna receipe, the main difference to Styria is that they use there pumpkin seed oil - which gives all and everything a really special and delicious taste!

ossobuco

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 05:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
Now there's a recipe I like, simple and good.

quoting an old post of mine:
Re Bugialli -
his new cookbook, new to me anyway. The book fell open to a full color illustration of a roasted chicken with lemons on it, also roasted..

I read on. Sounded simple. I did it. Wonderful. Easily the best lemon chicken I've ever tried. And the best part is, this really simple recipe could be adapted, using oranges, or some other marinade.

The recipe follows - comments in parentheses by osso

1 chicken, about 3 1/2 lbs. (I got an organic, no hormone, no antibio one, sustainable/chicken raising - splurging.)
4 lemons
2 medium sized cloves of garlic
15 sprigs of italian parsley (or regular parsley) (15 sprigs? some)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (for me, a teaspoon)

To Serve - additional sprigs of fresh italian parsley

Procedure -
- Clean the chicken, removing the extra fat from the cavity. Open the chicken up by cutting it lengthwise through the breast bone. (I had that done at the grocery store I bought it at, no charge.)

- Put the flattened bird in a crockery or glass bowl. (I put it in a big glass baking dish.)

- Squeeze the lemons and pour the juice over the chicken. And the lemon halves to the bowl. (I picked out the seeds with a slotted spoon.)

- Finely chop the garlic and parsley together on a board and add them to the bowl with salt and pepper and the hot red pepper flakes. Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour in a cool place or the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, turning it four times. (I turned it twice)

- Preheat oven to 400.

- Transfer chicken to a baking dish. (Mine was already in a baking dish), preferably terracotta, and pour the marinade from the bowl over it. (I sloshed the marinade over the chicken.) Arrange the lemon halves on the chicken (very fetching) and roast for 45 minutes. (Mine took an hour, but I had a 4.1 lb chicken).

- Remove chicken from the oven and serve immediately with a few sprigs of parsley.
ossobuco

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't fry myself, but I'd be glad to eat that, Walter, especially re pumpkin seed oil.

Irishk

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Walter's recipe is mouth-watering. Might be able to adapt it to baking instead of frying. Kind of an 'unfried' chicken recipe.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That makes me hungry too!! Whereas in Austria I'd eat Wiener Schnitzel day and night....and then Salzburger Nockerln. I am really hungry now!
Walter Hinteler

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:13 am
@CalamityJane,
(I've had more Wiener Schnitzel during those ten days than in the last ten years Very Happy )
0 Replies