Math Olympiad

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:27 am
Blah, I have always been excelling in Math as it has always been my pet subject, but this year, I'm taking Additional Math, or Advance Math. I'm pretty much struggling with it. We're in the third topic now, which is Quadratic Functions, and the first and second one is Fuctions and Quadratic Equations. I'm pretty much half-half in all three topics... And I was selected to represent my school in the National Math Olympiad, because of my previous year Math results, (one of which is 100... Smile) and I don't know what to do now... I'm pretty much okey in General Math, so well, I've been trying to study more, and attend tuition for Additional Math, and stuff... it's really tough... I just had my Add Math test today, and out of the 7 questions, I answered 4 and a half, while the rest I only managed to do halfway... I wonder if anyone can give me the simplest formula which I need to know for both functions and quadratic equations, something I can understand easier? My Add Math teacher is so un-understandable... Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:34 am
Not sure of everything you said, but the solution of any equation of the form:

ax SQD + bx _c = 0

is:

-b +/- SQRT(b SQD - 4ac)
----------------------------------
2a

Where I have used SQD for squared (superscript 2) and SQRT for square root.
0 Replies

carmilliadrian

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:25 am
I stuck that to my head already, but sometimes it's the questions... I don't understand the questions because they don't come in numbers. They come in 3 paragraph long questions... and I don't know how to put it into numbers and stuff... arghh...
0 Replies

valval

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
carmilliadrian wrote:
I stuck that to my head already, but sometimes it's the questions... I don't understand the questions because they don't come in numbers. They come in 3 paragraph long questions... and I don't know how to put it into numbers and stuff... arghh...
I think that you might find more answers at www.artofproblemsolving.com for these kind of *general* questions Wink
0 Replies