Shut Down the Ethanol Plants NOW!

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 12:46 am
Quote:
According to Joseph Vaclavik, president of Standard Grain Inc., land accounting for 75% of projected U.S. corn production is now excessively dry at the subsoil level, during the most important part of the growing season. "Agronomists and crop scouts now look for national corn yields near 150 bushels per acre versus the USDA's current estimate of 166 bushels per acre," Mr. Vaclavik said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304141204577508150171481354.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Given the extended heat wave in the corn belt as well as the fact that most of it was dry already going into pollination, we are about two weeks out from a possible corn supply catastrophe. THere is no justification for fermenting any more corn till we know how this turns out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,694 • Replies: 27
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 12:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
WINNIPEG, Manitoba/CHICAGO, July 5 (Reuters) - U.S. corn
surged 5 percent o n T hursday to its highest price in over a year
and soybeans jumped to within sight of their record high as new
forecasts offered no sign of rain relief for withering crops.
With fields now at the mercy of what may be the worst
Midwest drought in nearly a quarter century, grain traders
ignored the potentially bearish influence of a rising U.S.
dollar and focused on growing signs that one of the biggest corn
crops ever planted by U.S. farmers is now shrinking by the day.
Corn prices have surged by nearly 30 percent over the past
two weeks, dragging wheat and soybean prices up with them and
threatening to kick off another bout of food-inflation fears.
Only a few times before have prices risen so far, so fast - once
was in 1988, the last time the U.S. heartland faced such a dire
drought.
New forecasts showed that a spell of blistering triple-digit
heat should ease by the weekend but showed no signs of rain in
the near term for key states like Iowa and Illinois. Weather
models released at midday turned hotter and drier for next week,
igniting a further buying spree.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/05/markets-grains-idINL2E8I51NL20120705
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Im glad to see that you agree with me that ethanol fuel production was, and is, the dumbest idea since Corfam. I t costs more energy to make than it delivers, the fuel is actually CAUSTIC. The production f alcohol is never optimized beyond 7% , whereas wine makers all know that, with the orope yeasts and cooler fermentation temps its possible to get as high as 18% alcohol.
We hve an ethanol plant near Columbia Pa and its been a boodoggle since day 1
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
We hve an ethanol plant near Columbia Pa and its been a boodoggle since day 1
You spelled BoonDoggle wrong. Oh the humanities.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:52 am
@farmerman,
they are draining the aquifer here trying to grow corn where it doesn't belong.

big troubles coming down the road...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:56 am
Every time I see "This fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol" on pumps I cringe. Congress can shut Ethanol production down anytime they want by ending subsidies for it and that would be a good thing.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Every time I see "This fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol" on pumps I cringe. Congress can shut Ethanol production down anytime they want by ending subsidies for it
But if they did that some congressman's second cousin who runs the ethanol plant would be out of a job.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:27 am
@rosborne979,
I think we are about three month out from the American people reaffirming that we must have a lot of idiots and/or currupt people in Washington. Ethonal ends very badly for those who foisted it on America.....as bad policy always should.

Rocky is corrext that this bad policy is bad for the water supply, it is also bad for farmland as we try to push out unsustainable crop yeilds of corn, farmers now adopting what they know are bad practices trying to feed the market.

However my current focus is how ethonal relates to political incompetence and/or corruption.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:09 am
@rosborne979,
whats wrong with Boodoggle? My power for random neologismic creation sometimes yields a really good word.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 11:32 pm
Quote:
The USDA now projects a corn harvest of 12.97 billion bushels,

Quote:
The ethanol industry is now forecast to consume 4.9 billion bushels of corn

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303919504577520611695492558.html

That is ******* NUTS!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:32 pm
Quote:
Potential Impacts of Poor Corn Crop on Ethanol Market

By: Robert Rapier

I have long felt that one of the biggest threats to the U.S. ethanol industry is a major drought/crop failure in the heart of corn country. This year we may be experiencing such an event. Recent reports indicate that what had been expected to be a record crop of corn has been downgraded such that only 40% of the corn crop is being classified as in good or excellent condition. This is down 48% versus last week and 69% versus a year ago.

Corn prices are naturally surging in response; current corn prices are 21% higher than they were a year ago. Because so much of the corn crop is devoted to meeting ethanol mandates, there is a potential supply conflict being set up between food producers and ethanol producers.

This was always the risk in my mind; that a major drought could reduce the corn crop and result in surging fuel and food prices at the same time. This creates a situation that politicians who are not friendly to the ethanol industry will likely exploit. It won’t likely lead to an end to the mandates, but support for a 15% ethanol mandate (E15) — something the industry desperately wants — will likely erode in the face of the weak corn crop.

As you might expect, ethanol prices are moving higher, but I don’t think the price fully reflects the situation with the corn crop. It has been clear for at least two weeks that ethanol prices should move up in response, but the response has been slow and is just now gaining momentum. Normally, one would expect demand to fall in response to higher prices, and for that to mitigate the price rise, but gasoline blenders do not have the option of reducing their ethanol usage because of the mandate in place.

Thus, it appears that there is a short term opportunity in the ethanol market brought about by the corn shortfall. Longer term, there is a distinct risk for the growth of the industry as E85 prices become less competitive, and gasoline prices potentially rise because blenders are being forced to blend higher-priced ethanol. The MPG adjusted fuel price for E85 has now risen to above $4.00 a gallon, which is 50 cents higher than the price of midgrade gasoline.

The bottom line is that the short-term market for ethanol futures is bullish, but the longer-term market may become extremely bearish if politicians are successful in using the current situation to soften future support for ethanol.

http://theenergycollective.com/robertrapier/93501/poor-corn-crop-will-have-major-impact-ethanol-market

THe corn crop is dying by the hour, current yield estimate is 137 bushels per acre and the number of acres is shrinking as farmers plow under the crop and collect insurance. Still no talking seems to be going on in Washington about suspending the 10% ethanol mandate.

In happier news I was reading a few months ago that the industry has already built out expecting E-15 to be mandated by law so if that does not happen there is way to much capacity, which will make losses. I am also reading that based upon futures prices distillers will be operating at a loss in Sep, even after throwing in the 45 cents a gal subsidy that we pay through our taxes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:40 pm
It appears that the cattle farmers have been the first to call for suspensionof the ethonal mandate, with thw government saying they have no intention of doing is as of now. The cattle producers are about to thin their herds, which are already the smallest in 20 years. Dairy producers can be expected to follow. Look for high meat and dairy prices for at least the next two years.

The drought continues to worsen by the hour, and no improvement is expected for at least two weeka.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:54 pm
Quote:
During a press call held July 11 Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack addressed a question about whether the USDA would support waiving the RFS in light of the drought. That was the day that the monthly World Agriculture Supply and Demand Estimates report was released, estimating this year’s corn crop at 12.97 billion bushels, a 12 percent decrease from the earlier estimate of 14.79 billion bushels. “We're not at that point, and certainly, the renewable fuel program is an extraordinarily important aspect of our efforts to rebuild and revitalize the rural economy,” he said. “The reality is we are still looking at the third largest corn crop on record, and we are still looking at a very large bean crop, notwithstanding the disaster. Obviously, it could have been significantly higher because of the additional planted acres. So, at this point, we have no plan to adjust the Renewable Fuel Standard.”

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/8957/ethanol-industry-faces-undefinedtough-decisionsundefined-due-to-worsening-drought

Quote:
The U.S. harvest may drop to 11.8 billion bushels (299.7 million metric tons), said Dan Cekander, director of grain research, who correctly predicted in March that soybeans would trade at the most expensive level relative to corn since 2010. Cekander’s output forecast is 29.75 million tons less than the latest estimate from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and would be the smallest crop since 2006-2007. Futures traded as high as $7.89 yesterday, near the $7.9925 record set in 2008

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-18/corn-may-rally-to-record-8-50-as-drought-deepens-newedge-says.html

Down down down go the estimates, as the crop dies and no major rain is forecast for most of the corn belt for at least the next two weeks.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:34 am
@hawkeye10,
drought damages will still be felt even if sizable rains are felt in the next few weeks. The corn crops had already prematurely gone to "tassle" nd the developing cobs will be a major drain n the plant until suitble rehydration can be noted. The best that the crops can produce now is "Green chop" where they chop and store the entire plant and use as cattle feed.

I agree that the price differential that made ethanol even feasible, wont be there so importation is in the picture at levels waay above normal.

All meats will be affected . There will be initial price drops as farmer dump entire segments of their herds and f;locks. Then, as e approach winter, all the normal cattle auction prices will skyrocket.

Grass fe cattle already command a premium and Im thinking of bulking up my sheep and cattle herd by 30%in order to be able to profit from the shortfall.

Weve had a temporary drought condition but nothing that actually affects our grass, corn , or beans.

Its an interesting game, doing ones own futures.

One of the few places I agree with you is this entire ethanol debacle. Its a stupid industry based upon economics based upon a "pre natural gas" boom that , due to falling prices , is now drying up because of NO DEMAND DIFFERENTIAL
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:23 am
@farmerman,
Unless there are a lot more farmers with irrigation systems then I remember the current yeild estimate of 137 bushels per sounds like fantasy.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:38 am
@hawkeye10,
farmers in the upper Ogallala aquifer have been ordered to cease irrigation pumping in order to prevent dewatering and massive caving of the formation structure. If caving orkarst fetures develop, henever it starts raining agin, the aquifer will not be able to recharge the same mass of water s before pumping and dewatering
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
So then they are no better off than are the dry land farmers. I bet this sort of problem has not yet been factored into the estimates and we are already at the worst corn haul-in since 06...I don't see any way Obama is going to be able to avoid at least a partial voiding of the mandate.

Another thing..one of the selling points of ethanol was self sufficiancy...importing ethanol is no better in that regard than is importing crude.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
and since weve become a net exporter of crude in the last few years, ANY argument for ethanol is stupid.

Ive not been following too closely but how do you link the crop failure nd drought prediction to the "mandate"?

(I assume you mean the ACA , most frequently called OBamacare)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:45 pm
@farmerman,
The law that refiners delute gas with ethanol is a mandate. Obama is going to have to either suspend the mandate or else allow the percentage of contamination to drop.....for at least a year.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The USDA cut its forecast for this year’s U.S. corn harvest by 12 percent to 12.97 billion bushels on July 11, down from a June estimate of 14.79 billion bushels. The agency reduced its soybean projection by 4.8 percent to 3.05 billion bushels. Morgan Stanley predicted yesterday corn output at 11.89 billion bushels and soybean production at 2.99 billion bushels.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-19/crop-traders-extend-bullish-streak-on-u-dot-s-dot-drought-commodities

Yet more indication that the US Government has wildly inflated the corn haul out this year. And with each day the crop has been getting worse for weeks. In 1988 the drop was 37%, so we can expect something like that this time as well, which would put the harvest someplace around 10 billion bushels.

https://p.twimg.com/Ax9CkOiCIAAOIkC.jpg:large

1. Forums
  2. » Shut Down the Ethanol Plants NOW!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:30:33