Hair Breakage

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 01:07 am
Hi All,
Looking for some advice really. I have naturally dark brown hair which I have bleached at the roots, then toned and an overall colour put on every 6 weeks. However, my hair has been breaking badly at the ends for the past 3 months. I also get my hair cut every 6 weeks. I am getting white bulb like things at the ends of my hair and the hair goes jagged at the ends. I deep condition my hair everytime I wash it which is only twice a week as my hair type is coarse, frizzy and thick. I never brush my hair when dry, only comb when wet. My hairdresser is telling me that I need to cut off all the damaged hair and go really short. Surely the breakages will stop at some point? As I'm not brushing my hair, surely the breakages make up for the hair that isn't coming out by brushing? I am using 5th Avenue anti snap at the moment but nothing seems to help. I don't straighten the ends of my hair anymore either.
Please help as I really can't cut all my hair off. Would getting an inch and a half off help at all?

Many thanks
Jenny
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 04:55 am
@jenniferhunter094,
First off, I think you need to stop bleaching, coloring and all chemical treatments of any sort. They aren't doing you any good and are probably causing at least some of this. You don't say what race you are (as there is a definite difference in overall hair type and usually in resiliency as well, not to mention the products that people often use). But no matter which one, I think you're causing damage with the bleaching and coloring. At least stop them for a while and see what happens.

As for wet combing, actually, things are often weaker when wet. I'm kinda wondering if you're conditioning (you don't mention that).

Also, I doubt you can do anything about the ends, so you may as well get them cut off. I realize you don't want to be down to nothing. How short is short? Me, I've got straight hair - shorter than about Calista Gingrich length and it starts to look too boyish. But Beyoncé can get away with much shorter. So again I wonder what your hair is like as you may be able to go rather short and still look very feminine and pretty, while everything sorts itself out.

I am no professional so please take this with a grain of salt.
jenniferhunter094

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 11:46 am
@jespah,
Hello,
Many thanks for your response.
The hairdresser said that undamaged hair is coming through but it'd only be to my ears atm so she said cut it to there.
I am white caucasian.
I will upload a photo of me as my profile picture so you can get a better understanding.
jespah

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
@jenniferhunter094,
Oops, you're sideways. Smile

Well, how do you feel about a shorter haircut? It might be good for the summer anyway. You've got kind of an inverted triangle-shaped face from what I can see - a short haircut, kinda layered at the top - I think it would look pretty chic.
0 Replies