Andy Griffith Has Died

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:24 am
Sorry to have to report that Andy Griffith has passed on.

"Former UNC President Bill Friday says Andy Griffith died this morning in Dare County. Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed that to WITN News.

Friday tells us the 86-year-old actor died at his Dare County home around 7:00 a.m. this morning."

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_161201175.html

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:31 am
He was a marvelous performer.
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:35 am
@Setanta,
Yes, he was! He had an amazing longevity. His audience appeal extended from the mid-'50s well into the 2000s. He will be missed.

I don't know if you remember that famous movie that propelled him to stardom but in 'No Time for Sargeants' he had an hysterically funny scene where he had rigged up the latrine toilet seats to simultaneously lift up and salute the officers? It was also from this movie that he was introduced to actor Don Knotts.

More on his bio can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Griffith
snood

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:39 am
I had to buy the first 3 seasons of the old show on DVD a couple years back, just so I could watch Andy and Barney and the gang every so often. He was a classic. And to all reports - one very nice man, too. He will be missed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:42 am
Here are a couple of his routines which may not be familiar to everyone.

From 1953, Andy explains football.

Andy explains the opera Carmen.

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:49 am
@Setanta,
raprap

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:50 am
A marvelous tarheel is gone
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:58 am
RIP, Andy. He was Sir Walter Raleigh in The Lost Colony and lived in Manteo.

http://www.lib.unc.edu/blogs/morton/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/p081_ntbs3_000554.jpg

I have been there, incidentally
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:25 am
@Ragman,
Sad to hear this. I guess in some way I have him etched in my brain as a much younger person due to the power of film.

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@Sturgis,
Having Andy of Mayberry on TV continuously for over 40 yrs will do that. It still shocks me when on TV interviews you see Ron Howard (Opie) when he takes off his baseball cap and then see a bald pate. That's when I check my wrinkle cream and prune juice to make sure I'm well-stocked.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:07 am
@Sturgis,
His "A Face in the Crowd" is haunting story of the rise and fall of a radio talk show host/national demigogue.
If he were a lot fatter it coulda been the stories of Limbaugh or Beck.
I was a little kid when I first saw that in the movies with my dad. I was scared shitless.

s much as he was universally loved for his dow home Ole boy charm",

Some of his "heavies" were really evil
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@farmerman,
farmer, I was scared of him in that movie also. Shows what a great actor is was.

He could charm, make you laugh, teach you sumpthin' important or twist your gut.

RIP Andy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm
Andy will be missed.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
I adored this guy. People said my parents were like Andy Griffith married Lucille Ball.... My family sat around that show together, and loved it. Thought he was a bit frightening in Face in the Crowd. A believable actor, to me.

Don't know what he was like in person - but his public persona was very likable. Sorry he's dead.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
LMAO at No Time for Sergeants.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
I was not aware of his role in A Face In the Crowd, but I recall watching a movie where he played a "hunter" who allowed his human game a 30 minute headstart on his compound before he would stalk them with his high powered rifle. My god, I could not believe what I was watching, as he had already cemented his good guy image with the public, and he played it with such gusto.

I'm saddened by his passing.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:23 pm
Andy Griffith was the first southern accent I ever heard. I'll be whistling today in his honour. RIP

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:44 pm
@Ragman,
I really enjoyed "No Time for Sergeants." That, to me, was a classic.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
Right you are, Farmer. It was in "A Face in the Crowd" that I first actually noticed him and his skills as an actor. A hillbilly small town sheriff meant nothing to me but his portrayal of an up-and-coming scumbag who nearly makes it big in politics was a story in some ways ahead of its time.

You will be missed, Andy. Rest in peace.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 07:44 pm
@Ragman,
That's too bad. He was always a likeable character.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Andy Griffith Has Died
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:46:22