Coming Out Quietly

Rockhead

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:10 pm
giving this a little thought, and I think I understand the pride thing. maybe...

I am proud of my small percentage of Chickasaw blood.

even though I was born that way.

and I defend that cause more fiercely than some others.

fwiw...
Ragman

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I forgot about that. My friend from UK confirms it (ginger ails them).
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:22 pm
@Setanta,
I believe that you've misinterpreted me. I'm not suggesting or insisting you believe as I wrote. I simply made an observation. Can you show me where I wrote that you must think my way?

I did state that THERE IS a social stigma with being gay. Are you saying that you don't think there is one?
ossobuco

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Yes.
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:32 pm
@sozobe,
I thought he quietly came out a couple years ago. It's been a common parenthetical for that long - perhaps it was conjecture. I imagine there's been a question of job security in his mind as well as the privacy issues.
squinney

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:48 pm
@JPB,
I remember him having come out a year or two ago, as well.

Made no difference to me then or now. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to have bothered too many as far as observing that his career seemingly has gone unchanged from the news. That's a good thing. Maybe we are progressing after all.
0 Replies

jcboy

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:57 pm
I can see why a lot of celebrities don’t come out right away. My gaydar always told me Anderson was Gay. Cooper's statement is a reminder to all of us that coming out, no matter how ordinary it may seem to those of us on the other side of it, is still a risk, is still brave, is still courageous, and still matters. Bravo!
sozobe

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
It's been an "open secret" that he's gay -- lots of people knew but respected his wishes and didn't say anything about it, and he was careful to never actually say it or confirm it.

So this was the first time he actually came out (and it's gathered more notice since I posted -- still way below Ellen levels though. Way.)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:05 pm
Well this explains why he knew so much about "tea-bagging."
DrewDad

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm pretty sure that tea bagging only requires one of the participants to be male.

You strike me as proof that ignorance is not really bliss. Poor, angry, second-rate Finn.
JTT

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:14 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

There goes his career. Now someone will blackmail him and make him adjust his take on the news to suit some evildoer somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:16 pm
@jcboy,
Interruption - JC, meet Squinney and vice versa, Squinney is a long time a2ker but not so much lately, newly revisiting, well loved person. She tells a good story when she wants to.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:23 am
@DrewDad,
And you keep striking me as an idiot on dexidrin.

Having said this, I bow to your, obviously, superior knowledge of the practice of sucking a man's testicles.
DrewDad

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 07:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I bow to your, obviously, superior knowledge of the practice of sucking a man's testicles.

That was actually almost funny. Keep it up; someday the wizard will congratulate you on finding your funny bone.

Still a bit wide of the mark, though, since the whole premise of the thread is that being gay isn't a big deal.

Poor, second-rate, tone-deaf Finn. Always the bitter, hateful, teeth-grindingly-envious friend of the bride, never the bridesmaid.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:35 pm
@DrewDad,
I couldn't care less whether or not Anderson is gay. That he's come out of the closet is proof positive that being gay isn't a big deal. Does anyone care that Anderson is gay?

When he made his snarky comments about tea-bagging, I had to do research to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

It turns out it, it was a precursor to his recent relevation.

Just because he's finally admitted to being Gay (again, who cares?) doesn't give him a pass on being a lewd smart-ass in the past.
Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@ossobuco,
I remember Squinney Smile

I'm waiting for the day when it doesn't matter who comes out, because it isn't a risk. It shouldn't be a risk, and it's shameful that it is.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 12:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Signing oneself up for membership in the victim class is hugely profitable.

If that were true, then we would expect straight people to pretend to be gay in order to take advantage of the huge profit opportunity, just like we have people who pretend to be war heroes. Instead, what we have is gay people pretending to be straight. Why do you think that is?
Foofie

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 02:58 pm
I am jaded with the regular "coming out" news. Coming out of the regular closet is not newsworthy anymore, in my opinion. Real news would be where an openly gay person admits that they have a heterosexual alter ego. In effect, the news would be that someone in the closet realized that the closet was his/her real lifestyle. Then the question would be can a person be born to morph into one's closet?

Perhaps, this has already happened, but not reported. I mean a transgendered male, now a woman, becomes a lesbian.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 4 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Signing oneself up for membership in the victim class is hugely profitable.

If that were true, then we would expect straight people to pretend to be gay in order to take advantage of the huge profit opportunity, just like we have people who pretend to be war heroes. Instead, what we have is gay people pretending to be straight. Why do you think that is?

Bullshit....in spite of decades of advancement of the victim culture there are still a lot of people (most?) who have no desire to be a victim, or play one in spite of the profit to be had in doing so. I for instance am a verified victim of abuse, but you will never see me advertising it, and I refuse to encorporate "victim" into my identity.

1. Forums
  2. » Coming Out Quietly
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 10:36:24