gothic novel

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:33 am
Which of the following is a Gothic novel?
A. Northanger Abbey B. The Mysteries of Udolpho C. Gulliver’s Travel D. Robinson Crusoe

View best answer, chosen by qlzPotato
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:43 am
B . . . and before you ask, A is a satire (in which The Mysteries of Udolpho plays an important role), C is a satirical allegory and D is an adventure story with unwarranted pretentions to religio-philosophical significance.
qlzPotato

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:52 am
@Setanta,
i also prefer to choose B~~
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:10 am
@Setanta,
Damn, Set, I'm impressed. I mean I know you're well read but of all the British gothic novels, Udolpho must be the biggest slog.

Northanger Abbey is hilarious. I'm finishing work on a short story that owes a lot to that novel. My piece concerns a secret society that parodies Skull and Bones but is based out of a junior college in Milwaukee instead of an Ivy League school.

Not that the OP gives two shits.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:47 am
@Gargamel,
That sounds like a good story idea. If you read Austen's juvenilia her first attempt at a novel was Catherine, or the Bower, a send up of the gothic novel. (I never knew the Goths could read, much less write novels.) She reworked that manuscript to produce Northanger Abbey. Mansfield Park is pretty hilarious, too. But then, i laughed all the way through The Brothers Karamosov.

At university, i had a double major in literature and history.
0 Replies