Oatmealing and the new practice of ethical bittorenting

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:10 pm
@Setanta,
Lots of folks pushing for that. Do you not remember the kerfuffle over SOPA a month or so back?

I don't think I stated that anyone, here, was pushing for that.
dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wait and get it legally. I'd feel way too uncomfortable doing anything else.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:14 pm
@dlowan,
But......

I want it noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww....

just kidding.

this whole thing seems kinda silly and entitled to me...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Well, i feel that if you intend to tilt at windmills in a discussion which you assured me was about ethtics, that there really ought to be some windmills in the landscape where that highly principled discussion is being carried out. Otherwise, it appears to be just another example of the hyperbole which has characterized so many of your comments here.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:31 pm
@Setanta,
Right.

Posting numerous articles and discussion pieces is hyperbole.

Comparing file sharers to roving bands of murderous thugs is reasoned discussion.

Got it.
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:35 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I'd feel way too uncomfortable doing anything else.

Because of your conscience or because you might get caught?
dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@Thomas,
Mainly conscience. I had a program to download once, but I thought about it, and simply deleted it. It felt extraordinarily dishonest and, whatever the hell you call it, I think it's stealing.
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:05 pm
@dlowan,
Interesting.
dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:18 pm
@Thomas,
Why?
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:11 pm
@dlowan,
Because the "extraordinarily dishonest" part runs totally against my own moral sentiments in the matter.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:21 pm
@Thomas,
Interesting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:24 pm
@DrewDad,
You have stated that this is a discussion of ethics. Now you're attempting to characterize this as a matter of courageous Davids opposing some sinister corporate Goliath. I did not bring up "roving bands of murderers."

DrewDad wrote:
As Thomas demonstrated, there is an obvious difference between copying and murder.

The question, here, is not whether copying is illegal. Clearly it is.

But we have an extremely large portion of the population that engages in copying.

We don't have roving bands of murderers, though.

Clearly there is a disconnect between what the public thinks is acceptable, and what the law says is acceptable.

Tsar is comparing that state with things like the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Sufferage movement, and I'm not certain that he's wrong. (emphasis added, obviously)

Once again, Captain Hyperbole, you're attempting to indict me for what you have introduced into the discussion. I'm just attempting to keep the discussion one of ethics. You're the one who has been attempting to ramp up the hysteria in the discussion, attempting to make this about fighting the good fight against the forces of evil.

Got it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovation/articles/20120618/16110519373/chilling-effects-innovation-caused-bad-copyright-law.shtml
DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:58 pm
@DrewDad,
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120620/03552119398/business-model-failure-is-not-moral-issue.shtml
DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:15 pm
@DrewDad,
Some really good stuff, here: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120625/01250519456/free-culture-is-response-to-ethical-failings-old-entertainment-industry.shtml

Quote:
Consider for a moment how were the profits of the “old” music industry won: By subjecting listeners and musicians — and indeed, our very culture — to a laundry list of horrendous commercial exploitation. Price fixing, payola, unpaid royalties, market monopolies, ticket surcharges, obscenely exploitative record contracts, manufactured popularity, censorship, perpetual copyright and destruction of fair use and the public domain… the list goes on and on. In short, the old way of doing things sucked and we don’t care if a few of that era’s successful artists no longer get mailbox money for music they recorded decades ago. We certainly don’t care if the record industry, which enabled these injustices, dies a slow, public death.

Today’s musicians are held in higher esteem by listeners than ever before, and it’s the industry that has lost their respect (and money), due to a history of unethical behavior.

Fans formerly had no apparatus to directly compensate artists. Now that they have tools like Kickstarter and Bandcamp, we’re seeing millions of dollars pouring directly into musician’s pockets.

That’s the thing about asking our generation to fix the record industry. We’re already doing it. We’re connecting artists directly to fans and bringing back patronage, a far less exploitative model that is emerging as the foundation of the new music career. We’re using crowdfunding to finance our work. We’re using digital tools to democratize distribution and licensing, with fairer publishing deals. Instead of basing our entire career on one album dropping or flopping huge, we’re ditching the LP in favor of a steady stream of singles, what fans really want. Apps are the new album. Production is going more lo-fi but is becoming more diverse and original in the process. These are the viable solutions I was talking about earlier. It’s all actually quite liberating because none of it involves being exploited by the music industry, and if it does, it’s certainly far less than in the past.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:38 am
Quote:
HBO Now Available on Hulu in Japan
by Alison Nastasi. Posted on 6:21 pm Thursday Jun 28, 2012

HBO has decided to license select series to Hulu… in Japan. While we won’t be seeing the newest [episodes] of Game of Thrones or True Blood stateside, it could plant the seeds for future markets.

For rest of the article:
http://www.flavorwire.com/304556/hbo-now-available-on-hulu-in-japan

I hope this is the sign of good things to come. It does show that someone in HBO knows about what a certain market of tech savvy markets and audience members want and that remaining on the old business model is probably a bad business model to remain cemented to.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:32 am
@DrewDad,
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/08/myvidster-victory-innovation-and-vote-sensible-copyright-law

Quote:
Last week, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals issued an opinion in Flava Works v. myVidster, a case that raises questions about embedded videos and copyright infringement. Judge Richard Posner, who wrote the opinion, has a reputation for producing memorable and influential ruling, and this one is no exception. (You might remember that Judge Posner also recently issued an important ruling in a patent case between Apple and Motorola.) In reversing the injunction granted against myVidster, the Seventh Circuit wholly rejected the premise that embedding, linking to, or watching infringing videos constitutes infringement itself.

In the ruling, Judge Posner also draws the meaningful distinction between copyright infringement, theft, and other actions that may reduce a company's income. Rhetoric from the copyright lobby often conflates these disparate concepts.

For example, as Judge Posner wrote, a Flava Works employee embezzling corporate funds may be stealing and reducing the company’s income, but he is not infringing copyright. A person who sneaks into a movie theater to watch a copyrighted movie — like one who bypasses the Flava Works paywall by watching embedded videos on myVidster — isn’t infringing, either. Stealing a book from a bookstore and reading it “is a bad thing to do,” says Judge Posner, but again it is not copyright infringement. Considering how companies have abused copyright law for years to squelch competition and silence unflattering speech, this recognition is a major one.

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
@DrewDad,
fascinating stuff. ..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 01:19 pm
Quote:
It's not a new song. Big content has been struggling for years to figure out how to stop shooting itself in the feet and legs and genitals and torso on digital content. It's Apple taking years to drop its draconian DRM from iTunes sales. Or it's Amazon—the biggest bookseller in the world—locking down its own ebooks, even though they often cost exponentially more than simply buying a paperback. Or even Adele, lovely Adele, not having 21 on Spotify because her people didn't want free customers to be able to listen to her. And it's certainly HBO tying its brilliant HBO Go streaming to an archaic cable subscription. Buying things, or getting them legally, is still a giant pain in the ass. Insanely, counterintuitively, infuriatingly, it's even worse for especially popular content, like Avatar or 21.

For the rest of the great MUST READ article:
http://gizmodo.com/5934611/this-is-why-people-pirate
DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
The [Mistake] Of The 'Just Go Without' Argument

Quote:
Well, of course they could "go without." Everyone has that option. Do without. That's the "honorable" way.

But let's look at this in a more realistic way. What exactly does "doing without" do for the content creator? How does "not purchasing" (or not having the option to purchase) the disputed content do anything for the creators? Because the bottom line in both scenarios is that $0 has made its way from the potential customers to the people desiring the income.

If everyone just "does without," how does this improve the situation for either the content creator or the customers? Once you've taken the piracy out of it, all you've got left is a set of lousy options that do nothing for everyone involved. If rights holders are happier merely saddling up their high horse and riding to the nearest moral peak, so be it. Riding that horse won't make you any richer, though. All it does is further separate you from your potential income.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 02:16:08