Not seeing the people in people

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:09 am
There is something interesting that I recently noticed. When I look at strangers, I can see every mark on their face, all their frown lines, and general facial features. But when I look at a familiar, I see every scratch, every beauty mark, and every mark on their personality. I don't see the faces of people that I know, I see them and who they are. On other people, I see the effects of their life through their face.

Is it just me, or does this happen to everyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 12
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:17 am
How do you know the effects that make the marks?
smoking, stress, or sun??? or did I misread?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:18 am
I don't think it's just you. I have a funny little story for you. It involves two friends I knew in my early 20's. One was "white" and the other chinese.

The two of them went out one night to their favourite nightclub, which had been pretty much overtaken by a group from a wedding party. Everyone in the wedding party happened to be chinese. The white friend turned to her chinese friend and said "I think we're the only white people in here." There was a pause, they both looked at each other and then burst out laughing. It just goes to show that you don't "see" family and friends with the same eyes as you do with strangers. Wink
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
caprice.
Had a very simular experiance.... A very-very close friend of mine who I have known for many years and happens to be chinese and was born in this country, said to me one day " i'm going to put a chinaman on the staff, I hope the other guys accept him" I replied " I don't see why not, the chinese are no different from us " we both looked at each other and burst out laughing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:40 am
Back when I was playing college football - we traveled to Jackson Mississippi, at about that time I'd say 40% of our team was black. But going from the airport to the stadium - the white guys were noticing that they didn't see any white folks outside the bus.

So we're laying on the field doing our stretching and the other team comes running on the field, and one of our guys yells out, look they got a token white player on the team. You never heard 65 guys laughing so hard at a remark like that.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:29 am
My father lost his hand during college and a few months went by. Then, all of the students went on a break and when he came back, one of his good friends runs up to him yelling, "Oh my god! What happened to your hand?"

I'm not sure if we replace looks with personality or if we ignore certain things in the same way that we get involved in routines, but it sure is wonderful how we can forget our physical differences given time.

Husker, the effects that make the marks are things like accidents (scars), long periods of stress (bags under the eyes), or just a miserable existence (heavy frown lines). Understand?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:45 am
Indi, I noticed that I have been noticing this more too. I think as we age, we look for clues as to what will happen to us. Or perhaps, it's fear.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:49 am
Hey, I never noticed that, Individual, but you're right.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:51 am
It's really odd to look at someone's face after you're so used to looking past it. I tried and realized that I was in the midst of strangers.

Oooh, sounds like a poem. Gotta start writing...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:53 am
I've noticed it with accents too.
I remeber my mother and an aunt talking about my uncle's horrible facial scare. He had been in an accident and his face was a patchwork of scars. I had never noticed, no I do.........dammit.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:57 am
I find it odd how I never notice that my father's hand is missing, yet I have to stare when other people are missing limbs.

Yeah, I just zone out on the accents. What's really funny is when you start to talk subconsciously in that accent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:28 am
Individual, it is perfectly normal.

I have a funny story too. When I got contact lenses years ago, my close friends knew what was happening, so it was quite noticeable to some of them. Others, and almost all my acquaintances, could not figure out what was different, as my glasses had become invisible to them. Many asked me in a dazed way if I was suddenly wearing glasses!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:44 am
Guys who shave mustaches or beards do this to me as well.
0 Replies