Heroes of Flesh and Bone

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:25 pm
(I posted this in another site a few days after 9/11 I just thought it would be cool to post it again so that others can read it.)

When someone says hero little kids or teenagers or anyone for that matter might think of
Batman,Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Fantastic Four or the X-Men. The idea of a
hero being more powerful than the people they rescue brings comfort to the ones being
rescued in a since that if "they cannot do it no one can" type attitude.

But recent events occurring in New York City has brought that statement to say "If they can
do it anyone can." And I am not saying that what the Fire Fighters and Police did anyone
can do, but I am saying anyone can be.

Maybe, for a change, children will see that heros are not made from the imagnation of
writers and artist; they are not made of pure mussel and 0 % fat; they are not made of
super speed and strength; they do not have powers that generate at teen years giving them
beams from the eyes and the ability to heal a dangerous wound in seconds; they are just
humans with big hearts. They are the people we see speed by in a red truck or black car
to a scene to save a family or get the bad guy. They are men and women who have families
that love them like a mom, dad, son, daughter, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece. They have
children or one on the way but their job is to protect not only their family but other
families that might be in danger.

These are heros that are real and who took their lives and put them out into danger to
just find one person alive in the buildings, before they fell, to help out - to bring home
to a love one. They, knowing that their families worried, went into those buildings to
help others out so that they could see their families. What the police and fire fighters
did was put the victims' lives ahead of their own. They gave all of what they could so
that someone could go home and retell their story of being scared but alive. Some even
gave their lives.

When the fire fighters and police woke up that morning they didn't say, "Oh lets go be
heros today", no they come to work to work. They didn't look to be glorified for what they
accomplish or do. What they do is what they have been trained to do but we should
appreciate them because they are our heros. The ones that fight the evil aliens from
outer space and protect earth from domination. They are our heros.

And to our heros I would like to say that we thank you. Thank you to every fire fighter
and police officer who was there at ground zero to help, to lift, to find, to give life,
to rescue and/or to protect. That was no little feat. What was done was done with
bravery of the unknown of what would happen next, or what building would fall. You are
our heros of skin and bone. You have broken the mold that heros hold in the eye of the
youth. Because you were not created with powers beyond any human, you are human and
compared to some humans you are even considered super human with your big hearts and
strong wills. Thank you.

Thank you to every fire fighter and police officer who is and was. Your jobs are hard and
at times rewarding when you are noticed for the great jobs that yall do. I am not going
to waite until another disastrous thing happens before I thank fire fighters and police
officers for choosing their jobs. Thank you.

Thank you for doing what is beyond required. Thank you for putting your life in danger to
protect the average citizen. Thank you for your bravery. And thank you to your families
allowing you to leave knowing that your life is in danger to protect. And to those who
lost loved ones wether it be because they were a police officer or a fire fighter or
worked in the building I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank You Fire fighters and police Officers our heros.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 676 • Replies: 0
No top replies