Are you irrated by trolls who say only buy American?

Thomas

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 05:29 pm
Quote:

No. While I reject appeals of the form "always buy from country X" or "never buy from country Y" as parochial and bigoted, I no longer get irritated by them. They're part of human frailty; I had over 30 years to get used to them, and now I am.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 05:40 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
So, troll has no meaning? Anybody with whom one does not agree is a troll now?

This is oh so rich, and ironic, not to mention unbelievable and telling.

Here is Setanta, whining about people misusing one of his favorite epithets, troll when 'troll' hasn't come anywhere near to acquiring the status of a new word as compared to all the words he thought he was being "highly educated" about in his goofy "DEBASING THE CURRENCY OF LANGUAGE" thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/191041-1

So here's this brand spanking new word, 'troll', and Setanta isn't bitching and moaning about how it's debasing all the other meanings for 'troll' - he's defending it.

Oh, I forgot to mention - incredibly hypocritical.

Don't you have any memory left in that blob that inhabits your cranium, Set?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:06 pm
@Thomas,
That's what livin' in New Joisey can do to you, Thomas. Who's your favorite actress, Snookie?
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:30 pm
@msolga,
Well I meant it in the sense of a marketing scheme. Neutral

MARKETING definition of troll: to try to get new customers.
ex: The lenders are trolling for customers again.
msolga

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:33 pm
@Val Killmore,
Perhaps you should have made that clear at the start.
Whose quote is that?
Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:39 pm
@msolga,
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/business-english/troll
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Really?
Well I'm basing it on common sense, because the global rules are somewhat ambiguous as to what is American and what is not, and it is ambiguous in order for marketing firms to label whatever they want, and although FTC has rules, there are a lot of loopholes a company can find to call a product made in America, without actually it being made in America.

And are you really equating "Assembled in America" with "Made in America."

So I can start a car company, import all the parts from Japan to America, and then assemble it in America, and then call it "Made in America." Are you sure that I am going to get away with that with the Federal Trade Commission?

Because as a customer, what I call, that which I just explained above is guile or a trickery.
roger

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 06:57 pm
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:

And are you really equating "Assembled in America" with "Made in America."

Yep, that's exactly the way it is, but it's defined by WTC, not FTC. Your iPad has components from Indonesia, Malaysia, and who knows where else. It is assembled in China, marked Made in China, and so far as trade surplus and deficits are concerned, it was made in China and sold in the USA.

This very well might not be to your liking, but how the devil are you going to mark that iPad and all those cars?
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 08:47 pm
@msolga,
Doncha just hate it when people debase the currency of language, MsO?
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 09:50 pm
@Val Killmore,
You're using a verb--to troll--as though it were a noun describing an individual. The noun troll has nothing to do with marketing.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 10:04 pm
@Setanta,
Your sphincter is emitting some noises again, Set.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 11:28 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Doncha just hate it when people debase the currency of language, MsO?

Smile
No, I just want to know what people are actually saying, JTT.
In this case, the opening post & the thread title were a wee bit confusing .
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 05:37 am
@Setanta,
So I shall be the first to define trolling as a 'To be' verb (static), to try to get new customers, that define or describe a noun, troll.

So watcha gonna do now??

Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 05:44 am
@roger,
It's not as simple or straight forward as you think.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

Read all about it here: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

P.S. my iPod says designed in California and assembled in China, so you shouldn't equivocate those two things (Assembled and Made), it's not that simple.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:10 am
@Val Killmore,
Ignore your stupidity. Troll as a verb means to drag a line through the water with one or more baited hooks on it to attempt to catch fish, particularly large fish, too large for a man to bring home on his own. He relies on the power of the oars of his boat, or the sails or engine of the "mother boat" to bring the fish in. The man who trolls is called a troller, not a troll--that is, when he is not just called a fisherman.

There is always a dynamic tension between consensual definitions of words and neologism. But troll as a noun already a very strong and widely used definition. Good luck trying to convince anyone it has anything to do with marketing.
Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:42 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
There is always a dynamic tension between consensual definitions of words and neologism. But troll as a noun already a very strong and widely used definition. Good luck trying to convince anyone it has anything to do with marketing.

Well you are entitled to your own opinion, even if it is wrong.

I have something on the matter of etymology which I will post in your post regarding "debasing the currency of language" to set you straight, when I have some time.

Trolling is a verb as described by the Cambridge dictionary in the context I have used, and troll is the noun. Analogously to the words running and runner.

What I have done is not coin a new word, but used a word in a different context, which as you say is also a consensual word (I was being sarcastic when I said "I shall be the first ..."). So it is right to say the word troll is ambiguous, but with your brains you should have whiffed out what context I meant, easily. I'm surprised you didn't, Mr. Grammar Nazi.
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:49 am
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:
Trolling is a verb as I have described in what context I have used, and troll is the noun. Analogously to the words running and runner.

That's not an analogy. An analogy from run and runner would troll and troller. You're not very swift, are you?

Quote:
What I have done is not coin a new word, but used a word in a different context, which as you say is also a consensual word. So it is right to say the word troll is ambiguous, but with your brains you should have whiffed out what context I meant, easily. I'm surprised you didn't, Mr. Grammar Nazi.

Troll is a very useful figurative verb. It is used by marketers, flim-flam men and prostitutes, and probably many other low-lifes. However, there is no consensual definition of troll as a noun such as you are attempting to claim--throwing a childish hyssy fit won't change that. I did not criticize your grammar, just your idiotic and meaningless use of a word. I didn't "whiff" out such a "definition" because regardless of the context, troll is not used that way as a noun. This is especially true at an online forum, where troll as a noun has a very specific and almost universally understood meaning, Mr. Pompous Half Wit.
Thomas

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:50 am
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:
I have something on the matter of etymology which I will post in your post regarding "debasing the currency of language" to set you straight, when I have some time.

Set Setanta straight? I'd like to watch you try. Actually, on second thought, I wouldn't.

Val Killmore wrote:
Mr. Grammar Nazi.

Oh no! This one is going to be hard for him to recover from.
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:52 am
@Thomas,
Yes, i was deeply, not to say almost fatally wounded by that invocation of Godwin's Law. (Well, sorta . . . )
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Val Killmore wrote:

I'm not irrigated by anyone.
Thread winner Smile
0 Replies