P.E.T.A. butchers Oklahoma town name

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:45 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Human Interest Stories.

SLAUGHTERVILLE, OK (AP) -- An animal rights group is putting pressure on the town of Slaughterville, Oklahoma to change its name to something a little more animal-friendly -- like Veggieville.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals recently sent a letter to Slaughterville's administrator, urging the town to lose the name -- which PETA says "conjures up images of the violent and bloody deaths of terrified chickens, pigs and cows."
But some of Slaughterville's residents say it's wrong to connect the town's name to the slaughter of animals. They point out the town was actually named after a grocery store run by a fellow named James Slaughter in the early part of the 20th century.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,349 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm
dys- THAT is a prime example of political correctness gone beserk!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
Proof that being well-intentioned doesn't require exceptional intelligence. Sort of gives the word 'inept' a greater significance.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 02:01 pm
The irony......... Slaughter the grocer.

Peta just recently put up a billboard campaign here, all about mad cows were going to get us. Pretty sick, considering how awful the fallout was here... job losses, farm bankrupcies, suicides.......
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
I remember a Disney mini-series about a character named Texas John Slaughter.

Then there's the hall of fame outfielder, Enos "Country" Slaughter.

Texas John Veggie?

Enos "Country" Tofu?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 02:14 pm
Personally, I think that that is ridiculous-- almost as bad as renaming Christmas 'Winterval.'

I hope that they stubbornly hold on to the name Slaughterville; sounds better than Veggieville, anyway!

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
(cautiously sneaking in here...)

Being from Oklahoma, I'm rather surprised the Native American tribes haven't objected by now. Much better case for offense than the animals.

I do believe those PETA folks need lives.

The NAACP is fighting a local battle here trying to rename a local neighborhood that has been known as "White City" since it was built. It was originally the site of a large dairy. On top of a prominent hill, all the buildings were painted white, thus the name "White City Dairy." Nothing at all to do with racism. Once again, a tempest in a teapot.

We seem to be good at that here 'bouts....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:52 pm
And a pro football receiver named Webster Slaughter..
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
Doesn't PETA do any research before they start on campaigns like that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 05:49 am
PETA is a secular group with a fervor akin to religion--the suggestion that considered thought would govern their activities is laughable, and about as likely intellectual rigor and honesty from the Jehovah's Witnesses.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:37 pm
Thing is -- shouldn't they support the name Slaughterville? Isn't it an apt description of something that was going on there? I wouldn't think it very useful for anybody to change the word "slaughterhouse" to "fun-happy-cow-place."
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:35 am
PETA...old news I know!
I was just looking up some information on the history of the town of Slaughterville and happened across this message forum and PETA's feeble attempt to change the towns name. I have been in the pet/animal industry for years and in answer to someone's question...No, I don't think PETA has ever done any real research on any topic before rushing in with their mighty Asparagus Spears of indignant righteousness and Mango Maltov's in their quest for....whatever. Let them eat their Vegemite and broccoli. I think I'll go out for a burger and think of my friends definition of PETA in Oklahoma....People Eating Tasty Animals.

PPAPP anyone? PETA Pinheads Are Profoundly Pathetic
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
lady j so glad you found us
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Ha, that was a funny post Lady J. Welcome to A2K.

My favorite bumper sticker said:

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
I wonder if Willy Slaughter lives there?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
P.E.T.A

People Eatting Tastie Animals
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:42 pm
Thank ya'll kindly for the very nice welcome. It is indeed a joy to be here. Smile
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:46 am
I don't stand on soap boxes and I don't ring door bells and hand out literature. I eat chicken, fish, beef, eggs and cheese. I stumbled across the link below last night and this post tonight. Maybe it was meant to be. Just spend 2 minutes and watch the preview of Peaceable Kingdom. It speaks for itself. Just 2 minutes, and if you are as shocked as I was and really have guts, you can also spend another 3 1/2 minutes and watch Witness at the same link. The music is lovely so turn up your speakers.

http://www.tribeofheart.org/pk2.htm#Wit%20Preview

Newt
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:54 am
Welcome newt. I hope you enjoy this community as much as I have thus far. Smile I am no offical greeter here of course and none too many know me very well yet, but you'll find some of the most articulate, impressive, witty, smart, kind, expressive, talented people than you could anywhere else. Smile
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:58 am
Hi Lady J,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have noticed the level of stimulating, humorous and intelligent conversation and that is what has prompted me to register and post.

Newt
0 Replies