The Anger Room

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 09:55 am
Interesting concept....pay money, go in a room, and destroy.

Thinks this helps your anger - or would it cause it to escalate? Either way it almost seems fun to me.

"We all have those days. You know, the ones where you want to take the nearest heavy object and hurl it at the nearest breakable one? Sadly, it’s not quite socially acceptable to send shards of plastic or glass flying around the room. And most of us don’t have a stockpile of things to smash to bits, nor the time or patience to deal with the cleanup afterwards. Enter a Texas entrepreneur to solve your anger problems, no psychiatrist required.

Donna Alexander is the founder of the aptly-named Anger Room, probably the only business in the world that begs you to break everything in inside it. Located in a Dallas strip mall, the Anger Room is just as you’d hope it would be: filled with old furniture and electronics collected from junkyards and public donations, arranged to look like an office, bedroom or kitchen. But everything here is expendable: go ahead, grab a chair and chuck it across the room. Throw a plant at the computer screen. Stomp on the telephone. Grab a baseball bat and show that glass lamp who’s boss."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/12/go-ahead-smash-everything-in-the-room-its-therapy/#ixzz1vWJX3nRb

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 10:00 am
@Linkat,
Hmm. Tennis or racquet ball sound somehow saner.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 10:16 am
@ossobuco,
and less costly
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:09 am
@Linkat,

that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
you know someone's gonna lose an eye...
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:28 am
@Region Philbis,
I do believe they wear safety glasses or googles.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:29 am
@Region Philbis,
You beat me to the point. This sounds like a great way for catharsis until someone sues the company for an injury and the company finds out their "no fault for injury" disclaimer that everyone has to sign for using their services doesn't hold up in court.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:32 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I do believe they wear safety glasses or googles.

I don't believe that's going to prevent injury. It will prevent some injuries but not all. Especially if the client is particularly violent that session.

Plus one has the notion that the whole business model is so antienviornmental. All this breakage and how much of the broken stuff will be recycled. Computer monitors and other electronic gear geared for destruction have to be decontaminated from any toxins lurking inside as well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 12:10 pm
@Linkat,
You know, there is nothing quite so infuriating as to try to break something in a fit of anger - and the damn thing just does not break. It's almost as bad as trying to stomp off in anger - and discovering you're barefoot.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 01:11 pm
@roger,
Bryce Harper, a young baseball star found that out last week.

he got mad and swung a bat at the wall, and it bounced back and busted his face.

many stitches later, I bet he doesn't do that again for a while
roger

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:27 pm
@Rockhead,
See? It only makes you madder.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:37 pm
Heavy bag works for me.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:38 pm
@George,
Jai alai is probably good too and brings in a level of danger.
George

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Never played jai alai, but if I were as good at it as I am at squash,
I'd come out madder than I went in.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 04:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Interesting concept....pay money, go in a room, and destroy.

Thinks this helps your anger - or would it cause it to escalate? Either way it almost seems fun to me.

"We all have those days. You know, the ones where you want to take the nearest heavy object and hurl it at the nearest breakable one? Sadly, it’s not quite socially acceptable to send shards of plastic or glass flying around the room. And most of us don’t have a stockpile of things to smash to bits, nor the time or patience to deal with the cleanup afterwards. Enter a Texas entrepreneur to solve your anger problems, no psychiatrist required.

Donna Alexander is the founder of the aptly-named Anger Room, probably the only business in the world that begs you to break everything in inside it. Located in a Dallas strip mall, the Anger Room is just as you’d hope it would be: filled with old furniture and electronics collected from junkyards and public donations, arranged to look like an office, bedroom or kitchen. But everything here is expendable: go ahead, grab a chair and chuck it across the room. Throw a plant at the computer screen. Stomp on the telephone. Grab a baseball bat and show that glass lamp who’s boss."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/12/go-ahead-smash-everything-in-the-room-its-therapy/#ixzz1vWJX3nRb

When I was going through that stage I beat up on a large human like stuffed doll with a round bottom that kept coming back for more. Definitely not a punching bag, or anything else that could sprain my wrist or dislocate my fingers.

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:14 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I've also heard though that by doing something aggressive - like destroying items, screaming, etc., teaches or enforces the level of anger especially in future incidents rather than curtails it. In other words, you need to teach yourself how to handle anger positively rather than violently.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:21 pm
@Linkat,
I suppose this is military talk.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:29 pm
When I worked in food service for a living, we used to use the walk-in freezer as an anger room. You could go in there and yell your head off and not be heard by anyone else. You also had to be darn quick about it or freeze your nubs off.

I confess to using it more than a few times for such purpose and yes, I did feel much better afterwards.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I think Roger and I will suggest the same book, maybe or maybe not from differing views. We haven't talked about it yet, which fits, as I don't know what I think yet (I think a lot of things).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lines_and_Shadows
non fiction
roger

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I do recommend the book. I probably read ten of twenty for every one I bring down. This particular context didn't bring it to mind, but yes, we often have differing views.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
We had freezer rooms in our labs.

Not like yours, or were they, were they minus 70?
I doubt yelling would have done any good back then.

1. Forums
  2. » The Anger Room
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:24:03