is truth in things as they are, or in things how we see them?

krc950

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:14 am
In your opinion: Does truth originate in reality as it is, or in our minds as a response to the observation of reality as we perceive it to be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,986 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:16 am
@krc950,
krc950 wrote:

In your opinion: Does truth originate in reality as it is, or in our minds as a response to the observation of reality as we perceive it to be?

What other kind of 'reality' do you know of, except that which your conciousness ('mind') perceives?
krc950

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
i'm not sure of anything i guess. but i see people die around me and reality continues without them, and the earth and universe supposedly were here billions of years before a human eye ever witnessed anything.

Being only 20 i'm sure that you were walking the earth before i was even conceived, it just seems a lil egocentric to assume that reality originates in my own mind, unless this is all a giant elaborate dream ..
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 02:05 pm
@krc950,
Basically two kinds of reality: (1) what is sometimes referred to as "objective" reality; and (2) myreality,i.e. things as I perceive them. Some philosophies would question the existence of such a thing as objective or absolute reality (viz Descartes, Berkeley, a host of others). For myself, I cannot buy into that Cartesian stance.

There's a real world out there, all right, independent of me as an observer. The circumstantial evidence is far too great to be refuted easily except as an intellectual exercise. To me, such exercises can be fun but have no connection to ultimate reality.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:13 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I agree, but your "objective" reality is what I call simply Reality. MY realilty, or that of any other thinker, is what I label "truths": propositions about the hypothetical nature of Reality. And, of course, as I have suggested ad nauseum, our "true nature" IS that Reality.
0 Replies

porkpiehat

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 06:17 am
@krc950,
I believe information is the stuff of reality, and truth and falsity are qualities 'built in' to of every 'bit' of information. To the degree the information of a thing is true, to that degree it's perfect. To the degree a thing is false, it's imperfect.
0 Replies