Equation of Road (solve it)

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 09:12 am
A straight long road of 6m width is divided by white marking such that area of right side path is double the area of left side path of road. Find the single equation of road with respect to the white marking divider.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 13
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:30 am
@sandy111,
Assume that the width of the stripe is negligable. Now divide the road up into lanes. From your statement the right side of the road is two lanes and the left is one. How many lanes are on the road and how wide is the road? Now answer the question how wide is a lane? The other two answer falls out.
sandy111

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:44 am
@raprap,
the marking is negligible...i said the area of right is double the area of left....means width of one lane is double the other lane..there are only two lanes..road width i already meantioned is 6m..now answer this.
raprap

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:41 am
@sandy111,
What is one plus two?

Rap
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:52 pm
@raprap,
Sandy's a riddler, not a homework seeker, I think.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:11 pm
2a + a =6
3a=6
a=2

so one lane is 4m and one lane is 2m.
markr

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 07:43 pm
@sandy111,
What is this asking for? Length? Area? Something else?
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 07:49 pm
@markr,
It's asking for the widths of the lanes of the road as divided by the white line so that one side is double the width of the other side and when added together the sum of the two lanes equals six metres.
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 07:53 pm
@aidan,
That's of course assuming that both lanes of the road extend for the same length (as it does ask for area).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 07:54 pm
@aidan,
The demanding tone of the post is, as Drew Dad said, likely posted by one of the riddle people (solve it), which the poster has been participating in.

I've no idea if there is math involved in the answer since I don't follow the riddle threads.

0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:34 pm
@aidan,
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion given the awkward wording of the problem ("equation of road").
sandy111

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:05 pm
@aidan,
m not asking for value but for equation which represents road.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 03:01 am
@markr,
Quote:
Find the single equation of road with respect to the white marking divider.

I don't know - I guess I took this to mean that the focus was on the width as the white marking divider and only numbers given referred to and explained the division of the width of the road.

But turns out I was wrong...

I mean I guess the only 'equation of the road' that I can come up with given the information we've been given is:

Area of the road = length x 6m

But if that's what's being asked for, why'd she include the fact that the road was separated into two lanes, one of which was twice as wide as the other?
I did think it was a little simple
But whatever...
sandy111

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 06:41 am
@aidan,
with respect to white marking divider, taking x=0 at that point (because its a reference), the equation is formed by x= 4 and x=-2 that is (x-4)(x+2)= 0 is the single equation representing the road. ........
0 Replies