if so, how??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 34,552 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:39 am
I don't know how, but apparently you don't even have to be talking on it, just have it turned on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:54 am
Well, yeah. If it's turned on, the particular cell you are in can be identified. Whether an incoming call could be traced to the individual caller if the phone were not set up to transmit that data (i.e. caller id) is a different story. I don't think so, but that's not a guess I would bet the farm on.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:02 am
What do you mean by "traced" here? Traced to the location where a call was made from? Or just what particular phone a call was made from?

In the first case it's an in-exact process right now. How close the callers location could be tracked to depends on exactly where they are. If they are in a region that has several cell towers then they're position can be triangulated based on signal strength to each tower but even that would only get you within a block or so of them.

Tracing a call to the phone that made it is a peice of cake though. Every phone has a unique ID so the cell phone company knows whay the caller's ID is (that's how they know who to charge). Of course someone could clone your cell phone and screw with the system but...
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:41 pm
how can they clone my cell phone
how do they do that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
It was more common with analog phones. Basically what's done is that the signal is intercepted and the information was used in a new phone, whose calls would the be billed to the cloned phone.

To clone a modern cell phone you need to decrypt the encryption.

If you are asking what you can do about it the answer is nothing really. Just avoid analog service.
0 Replies

ddddli

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:55 am
question
i keep getting blocked id calls on my cellphone and want to know if there is anyway to trace them (besides going to the police and paying $20 for a malicious call trace)... is there any program i can download or site i can use, etc? Question
0 Replies

rush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
cellular tracing
hi if theres anyone who can help me id like to know how to trace a cell num if the user has restricted his num to "private num" reason being is that i have been recieving abusive calls and would like to sort it out.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:56 am
Re: cellular tracing
rush wrote:
hi if theres anyone who can help me id like to know how to trace a cell num if the user has restricted his num to "private num" reason being is that i have been recieving abusive calls and would like to sort it out.

You don't. You call your local Police Dept and give them the dates/times of the calls, your cellphone number and your cell service provider. It's up to them to investigate.

You might give the same info to your cell provider and they could possibly block incoming calls from that number for you. You'd have to talk to their customer service people and see what their policy is.
0 Replies

BIG SNAKE

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:32 pm
MONITORING CELLPHONES
[I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN "MONITOR" A CELLPHONE. EX.-INCOMING/OUTGOING CALLS, LISTEN TO CALLS...ETC...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:32 am
Re: MONITORING CELLPHONES
BIG SNAKE wrote:
[I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN "MONITOR" A CELLPHONE. EX.-INCOMING/OUTGOING CALLS, LISTEN TO CALLS...ETC...

With the appropriate technology - which isn't readilly accessible to the merely curious - and the skill and knowledge required to employ it - which themselves take some time, effort, and cost to acquire', of course you can. However, by law, as a private individual, or any entity or individual without specific court authorization, you may not.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:38 am
Re: tracing cellphone
crucifixation wrote:
can a cell phone be traced?
if so, how??

Some of the newer cellphones come with GPS. When the technology becomes cheap and common, half the population is gonna be cruisin around with a tracking device in their pocket.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
Actually, Instigate, if you carry a cellphone with or without GPS technology built in, and that phone is on, it is in contact with the cellular network. If someone with access to the technology wished, the location of that cellphone can be estimated to anywere from whithin a square mile or so to a few hundred square yards, depending on how many towers there are in the area and how they are located relative to one another and the phone. GPS just decreases the circle of probability.

Its gettin' to where there's nowhere a paranoid can hide anymore, ain't it?
0 Replies

jmtausch

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
Cell phone - trace
Can someone find out the phone numbers that have been dialed from a cell phone on the same day they made the calls
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:19 pm
Most cellphones keep a log of both outgoin' and incomin' numbers. Check the phone's user manual to find out how to navigate through the phone's menu to get at 'em.
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:12 pm
Most newer phones (last 2 years) come equipped with standard GPS. This function can be turned off in your settings menu. As far as tracking a phone paper trail wise (who owns the number/account), most pre-paids ask for a name when activating it but most drug dealers give an alias. With regular contract service you are automatically tracked by the credit check, unless you steal credit for a living. There is a national cellular directory as well but you can choose to be anonymous.
0 Replies

Wink

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:06 am
private number
I would like to know if there's any way to trace a private number called to a cell phone from a cell phone. I'm not too intrested in reporting the person, I just want to know the number the person is calling me from.
0 Replies

dec66

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:26 am
people have been calling me and they say that a man is answering the cell phone. We live in the country and can barely get any service and sometimes no service. How can the same man be answering my cell phone? Is i possible for someone to transfer your calls to their cell phone and me still be able to answer my phone. It is like they are copying all me calls. If this is possibel , how can I check to see if thi is happening a dn how can I stop it?
0 Replies