Gender traits

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:51 pm
grrrrr
trying to find a pic of my favourite foot jewelry
they were sold by Steve Madden as Hippie Toes about 4 or 5 years ago - braided, beaded strips that go around the back of the ankle and then meet at the front of the foot, and then loop around the toe next to the big toe. I have no idea what they're called. Seems to me I saw a pic of some celeb wearing something much like them on the red carpet a few years ago.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:53 pm
Any of these what you mean?

Link to "foot jewelry"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:58 pm
Yeah!
Hooray, Phoenix!

I would never have guessed the other names for them: wedding night sandals Shocked : natural sandals; and, foot wraps.

I love them. Love them.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:59 pm
Thems look mighty uncomfortable to me! Then again, if I could, I'd be barefoot all the time! (No jokes from the wise@sses please. Very Happy)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:01 pm
ohhhhh, no, caprice. they're quite comfy. they (at least mine are) are elasticized. mine are a very flat braid, so they don't stick into my feet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:03 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
You people may be startled to know that I come from a family with strong opinions. Some of these views I ignore, others furrowed themselves in my developing brain.

1. Nice girls don't wear glitter (rhinestones). Wearing glitter before dark is an indication of double damnation.

2. Jewelery should indicate craftsmanship rather than wealth. If you are qualified to judge the cut and setting of a diamond, you may wear a diamond. If not, content yourself with jewelery that displays good taste and wit. I wear cameos when I'm all gussied up.*

3. Pierced ears are appropriate for sailors. If a sailor is shipwrecked and washes ashore, a gold ring can be sold to provide money for burial expenses and masses for his soul.

4. Pierced ears are dangerous because if the lower orders riot they will grab earrings from the upper orders, tearing the ear lobes. (My grandmother was very impressed by Bulwer-Lytton's Last Days of Pompei)

*Once upon a time when a woman proposed to a man during leap year and he turned her down, he gave her a cameo to show that there were no hard feelings. Most of my cameos are family pieces, inherited rather than extorted.

I love this summary. Part of me follows this line of thinking naturally.

The other part just loves jewelry. I don't own any good jewels. I have some well crafted items, and a few sort of victorian old rings. I made the error of telling my nonmonied husband that I loved silver. Better I should have mentioned rubies and emeralds, oh well. I have quite a bit of unique silver from a local craftsman, and some I bought myself on various trips to Mexico.

But then, folks, the real me --- On Venice Beach boardwalk, famed for rollerskating phenomenon, breakdancing of old, the chainsaw juggler, and long before, poetry houses, and before that, rumrunners...
there was a store called Reckless Woman. They had a wall of cheapo garish earrings for $1.00 each. I loved it! I still have some great stuff from there, because if you spent up to $10.00, you could get some strong looking design, if not platinum.

Wearing this stuff gets trickier I suppose if you are in a corporate setting, but then, hey, I rarely have to give presentations in these settings and if I do, I am after all, a designer. One interesting item...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:09 pm
Diamonds are all-purpose jewelry: white matches any color you wear. I have my diamond wedding band (actually an anniversary band) plus diamond jewelry I inherited from my mother and my husband's family, and an 18K yellow gold, diamond & citrine ring I bought for myself. Each piece is very special to me. Especially the family pieces. Everytime I look at them, they remind me that I am connected to people...I am not alone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
I do have a wonderful ring from my mother. Her brother gave it to her, I think for her sixteenth birthday in 1917. The stone is glass... that is a zircon, or that's what she called it. I suppose I should ask someone. It's about a half inch wide and oh, 5/8 inch long and has all sorts of facets in sort of an aqua color, set in yellow gold and pink gold fancy support/ring. Beats any diamond to me, but then I was an early reader about the DeBeers folks. (Not to knock anyone's treasured diamonds...).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
Oh, and I have loads of costume jewelry, too. Some of my favorites are long, funky beaded necklaces that my son made for me. And my sister makes the most exquisite earrings...beads, carvings, found objects...she knows all my favorite colors, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
when i look at what jewelry i wore today, i'd say Eva's on to something. I wore a gold link bracelet and co-ordinating watch and hoop earrings, that were gifts from hamburger and mrs. hamburger. i also wore a funky gold and amber ring, that goes with the amber pieces i've got from mrs. hamburger's side of the family.

connected. yup.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:23 pm
Then there are the art earrings I bought yesterday by the textile artist showing in the gallery next door.... no connection to no body, no how... well, those are the ones I bought as eye celebration! So the connection is Moi.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:29 pm
That's a connection!

The meaningful jewelry is my favorite, definitely. Currently wearing silver dragonfly earrings I bought in Madison, my first trip "home" after I moved to L.A. I was in mourning for Madison at the time, hated L.A. passionately, these earrings somehow signalled a turning point.

General question, if I may, thought of starting a thread on it a bit ago but it's a small thought and seems to fit here -- women, men, do you like to buy new clothes to wear for the first time at some important event? E.G. had a big interview/ talk a couple of weeks ago, I had just bought him a really nice shirt, and suggested he wear it.

Him: [aghast] But this is an IMPORTANT talk!

Me: Uh, yeah. I know. This is a great shirt.

Him: But it's new!

Me: Uh-huh... aaaand?

Him: I'm not going to wear a brand-new shirt I've never worn before for this talk. It has to be one I'm comfortable with.

For me, something brand-new (I mean, that I've tried on and know it fits and everything) helps me feel good and confident. What about you?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:40 pm
New? Cool!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:15 am
ehBeth wrote:
grrrrr
trying to find a pic of my favourite foot jewelry
they were sold by Steve Madden as Hippie Toes about 4 or 5 years ago - braided, beaded strips that go around the back of the ankle and then meet at the front of the foot, and then loop around the toe next to the big toe. I have no idea what they're called. Seems to me I saw a pic of some celeb wearing something much like them on the red carpet a few years ago.

You just reminded me that I also wear a toe ring and I never take my rings off.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 04:34 am
Soz,

In my experience, most shirts need to be washed after they are bought before they become truly comfortable - something to do with the way the cloth is finished/folded for sale...so I can understand E.G.'s point...but I appreciate that new can give its own comfort and confidence.

KP
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:21 am
Brand new for something important where I need to feel good inside and out? Generally, no.

It's got to be something I've worn and washed/laundered a couple of times. I don't want to be wiggling around in something too smooth and 'edgy' (i think this is KP's folds and stuff).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:29 am
I always wash new cloths before wearing them. I think of all the hands that have touched them and in the wash they go.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:33 am
So many "new" clothes are shipped in from third world countries and doused with insecticides and fungicides.....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:02 am
There are men for whom the ability to give a fiancee a huge diamond is a mark of achievement. What kind of achievement, I don't know.
When I was in college in the 60s, some of the women in my 'sister' class -- 1967 -- became engaged to men who worked for diamond merchants in order to get a discount on huge stones. I remember one girl's ring was particularly beautiful. A simply set large diamond in white gold, the stone had the most fire of any I had ever seen: it flashed colored light all around the room.

Another girl had an unusual ring with a posy of five diamonds and leaves of tapered peridots. She had a funny feeling about her fiance, however, and decided to appear at his apartment unannounced one day. There was another girl there . . . with the identical ring!

I also heard a story about a woman who read in the Wall Street Journal of the importance of having personal possessions appraised and adequately insured. She checked her insurance policy and undertook to have her engagement ring appraised. The jeweler told her it was a cubic zirconia. When her husband came home from work that day, she said she had bad news: that he had been gypped on the ring, which was fake. He then told that the time they had the ring re-sized, he was in bad financial straits and so he had the jeweler REPLACE the diamond with a cz. She was then crushed that he NEVER ASKED HER if she would be willing to help ease their financial problems. It turned out the problems were do to his borrowing money to invest in what turned out to be bad deals.

Also heard on a trailer for Dr. Phil about a man who proposed and then slapped his credit card on the table and told his new fiancee to pick out a nice ring.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:07 pm
Re: Gender traits
caprice wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
So, when I get my wedding ring, I am going to put gems with value into it. Like rubies, emeralds, or somthing like that. I also hear that someone is very close to developing and releasing a cubic zirconium indestinguishable from a diamond, but that the diamond companies are raising legal hell over it.

Actually what it sounds like you are talking about already exists. The item of contention is not a cubic zirconium, but a real diamond. However it is not a diamond mined from the earth but produced in a laboratory. Apparently it takes an experienced gemologist to be able to distinguish the difference between the "natural" diamond and the "manufactured" diamond.

Why not get a Canadian diamond? Mined in northern Canada, identified by microscopic laser labelling and no slaughtering involved.

OoH! If I do get a diamond, that sounds like a good option. It still wouldn't have resale value though (never know when you might go broke) and the other gems do, so...

I think that diamond's practical uses are awesome.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gender traits
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:20:05