Gender traits

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:50 am
I've just been reading some posts over in the "Relationships & Marriage" section and I'm reminded of how it seems many women want diamonds (not just the ring, but other jewelry types too) not to mention a variety of other material items. I dunno, maybe I'm missing that gene or something, but I'm just not into jewelry. Sure I like looking at the stuff because it IS purty and all, but I don't want to wear it. I don't even have pierced ears, which some people find odd. So tell me, am I weird? (That's really a rhetorical question for all you smart @sses out there! Wink What about all you other ladies out there? What's your take on jewelry?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,115 • Replies: 64
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:00 am
Couldn't give a fabulous flying smeg about it...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:02 am
Do you get those women with a finger full of rings? You know - the engagement ring, the wedding ring, the eternity ring, the son of eternity ring, the eternity meets Godzilla ring.....and so on....
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:17 am
Not crazy about any jewelry...safer in some sections of the city not to be wearing any anyway..:-)
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:17 am
dlowan wrote:
Do you get those women with a finger full of rings? You know - the engagement ring, the wedding ring, the eternity ring, the son of eternity ring, the eternity meets Godzilla ring.....and so on....

I wonder sometimes if it's a ploy never to do any manual work!!! Laughing

Intrigued - as a man, the only jewellery I wear is a watch and (on appropriate shirts) cuff-links.

KP
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:19 am
*LMAO*

No, I don't understand that one. It's like some sort of prize thing it seems to me. You know the "keeping up with the Joneses" kind of thing, where one woman has to top another. That's something else I stay away from too...competetive women around men. It's just not a game I'm going to play. I've even seen it from a good friend of mine that I thought shared my sentiments about this sort of thing! It was a few years back...a guy I used to work with moved to town...he's cute, although I'd always just viewed him as a co-worker ...anyhow, he ends up working for the same company as aforementioned friend. She really had the hots for him. One day we were both in his company and I couldn't believe how she was behaving! It wasn't overtly competitive...not like some women I've seen....but there was no mistaking she was makin' a claim! *L* As I said, I hadn't thought of him in a romantic sense until he took me to lunch shortly after moving here and made some rather flirtatious comments...saying to me "you look good"....then a BIG pause....then "REALLY good". Well what do I say to that? Uh gee thanks. No wonder I'm single! *LOL*
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:21 am
I knew you wuz a woman willow_tl! Very Happy

kitchenpete: I wouldn't even wear a watch if I didn't find it so damned convenient to know the time.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:33 am
I used to have two rings. My class ring, and another ring I picked up somewhere. Also had my ear pierced. Just the left one.

Now I just wear my wedding band, but if I had an earring I would probably wear that.

My wife has her ears pierced but doesn't wear earrings. She would wear toe rings, anklets, neaklaces if she liked that particular one, but usually it's just her wedding band.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:44 am
I love earrings - and stuff like amber chunky necklaces and stuff like that.....more exotic than anything - love big scarves draped around me for the same reason.

Diamonds and such? Not my taste....I like the odd sparkly thing - but I am as happy with shiny glass. I just don't get the POINT of expensive jewellery - but I don't get the point of expensive cars, either. Or any other "trophy" things...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:46 am
Those horrible long nails, too - speaking of ploys not to do manual work - or, as the Chinese wore them, as proof that you didn't have to... I hope I am not offending anyone here, but I really hate those long nails - and fake ones...ewwwww.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:49 am
kitchenpete wrote:
I wonder sometimes if it's a ploy never to do any manual work!!! Laughing

Intrigued - as a man, the only jewellery I wear is a watch and (on appropriate shirts) cuff-links.

KP

I once saw a woman with fingernails so long, the first thought that occurred to me was to wonder how she could care for her children (she was surrounded by three or four at a store check-out counter). Those nails were easily four inches or more beyond the ends of her fingers.

I personally will not wear any jewelry, and carry a pocket watch because i simply cannot stand to have anything so closely "attached" to my person. I make a single exception--i wear a ring which my sweetiepie gave me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 05:53 am
I have a pair of medium sized gold hoops that I keep in my ears most of the time. If I don't, the piercing would probably close. I have had to have my ears pierced 4 times already. I haave other earrings, but if I wear them 4-5 times a year, that's a lot.

I wear an engagement ring, and a thin gold wedding band. I have this silver lavaliere that I bought in Greenwich Village 30 years ago for $16. I wear it with just about everything. It looks like something that would make Rorschach proud. People always remark about it, and no one can figure out what it is.

I have other jewelry, but I seldom wear it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:02 am
Do men like those damned nails? I assume they are worn because they are deemed attractive to the opposite sex?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:04 am
I'd suggest simple personal vanity--or deviant pathology. I've never seen such a grotesque display, and i can't imagine any scenario in which it would have made her attractive--my response was that it was repulsive
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:07 am
dlowan wrote:
Do men like those damned nails? I assume they are worn because they are deemed attractive to the opposite sex?

Not my cup of tea!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:11 am
dlowan- As I remember, polished nails originally were worn years ago as a sign of high rank. The implication was that the woman did not do manual labor or housework, that would render the manicure impractical.
It also demonstrated that her husband could afford to buy manicures for his wife, and is quite similar in motivation as jewelry used as status symbols.

I am really surprised that women, post-feminism, are still so involved in having long, painted nails. Last time that I had a manicure was in 1959!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:13 am
I was utterly overcome with the sight of a woman with those the other day....as was my colleague...

She was the boss of a child welfare office - and we were engaged in playing hardball with her over a case where they wanted us to to do therapy with a kid where it was totally inappropriate - but they hoped it would get a very difficult mother out of their hair, and into ours. She is powerful and destructive - and quite personality disordered, this woman.

She has THE NAILS - with little sparklies embedded in the lacquer - very red - and a mouth to match. She was doing all the dramatic finger movements that people with THE NAILS tend to do - we were like snakes hypnotized.

Thing is, if ever my nails survive life sufficiently to peek their wittle heads over the tops of my fingers, I start to do the movements, too! I have noticed Goth guys, with long black nails, doing it too...very odd - seems to be in the genes - but how did it get there?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:15 am
I like short red nails - and painted toe nails, oddly. My life is quite unconducive to their maintenance though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:16 am
Heehee - all this talk of nails has made me want to paint the cats' claws red.....they'd look cute with the sparklies, too....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:17 am
Although the example to which i referred was extreme, and as i've said, struck me as grotesque, in think in the more common less extreme examples of long nails, its simply an adolescent sort of "look at me" thing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gender traits
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:33:08