Frenchwoman Marries Her Dead Boyfriend

quinn1

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
Quote:

NICE, France (Feb. 10) - Dressed in a demure black suit, a 35-year-old Frenchwoman married her dead boyfriend Tuesday - a macabre exchange of vows that required authorization from the French president.

Under French law, Christelle Demichel became both bride and widow as a result of the ceremony, which was performed at Nice City Hall on the French Riviera.

The deceased groom, a former policeman identified as Eric, was not present at the ceremony. He was killed by a drunk driver in September 2002.

Demichel told LCI television she was fully aware that "it could seem shocking to marry someone who is dead," but said that her fiance's absence from her life had not dimmed her feelings for him.

According to French law, a marriage between a living person and a dead person can take place as long as preliminary civic formalities have been completed that show the couple had planned to marry. Before the ceremony can take place, it must be approved by the French president.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 997 • Replies: 13
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:57 pm
Hard to know what to say. Guess she really loved him .....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:46 am
Similar laws were in use in several European countries during WWI and WWII.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:29 am
Doesn't sound like an emotionally healthy thing to do!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:35 am
Maybe she gets the widow pension now..:-)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:50 am
Well the money thing (insurance, pension, whatever) seems like the only reason....but beyond crass. What does she hope to achieve....go around saying "I'm a widow"? Yikes! She'd be better off getting over him and moving on with her life. Sure, grieve, but it's been over a year. Time to live! Not be living in the shadow of a dead man.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:53 am
Those wacky frenchies! :-)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:58 am
Goes beyond whacky if ya ask me! Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:21 am
That's nothing......

There was this fellow in Germany that had his boyfriend for dinner.....................
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:26 am
And ate, himself, with great gusto?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:29 am
...and Chianti.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:37 am
willow_tl wrote:
Maybe she gets the widow pension now..:-)

Exactly what I was thinking.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
Well ... I certainly hope his family were okay with it. Can you imagine if he had changed his mind on getting married, told his mother, and then died a few hours later? This woman then gets a ceremony binding her to him after his death? Yikes! For all those stalkers out there who won't let go - maybe all they have to do is kill you and then marry you afterwards - nice!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:00 am
Similar situations have happened the US. I remember a woman marrying ( in the hospital) her boy friend, who was dying of colon cancer. He was a retired police captain and thus, since she would be his widow, she would be entitled to his really good pension. She had been with him for many years and probably had been his caretaker during the terminal stages of his illness.

Thus, I would think she should have married him on his deathbed and as a result be on the receiving end relative to his pension.
0 Replies