Westminster--Way to Go, Josh!

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
The final seven were spectacular. As I watched each, I rooted for each. But my heart was with the Corgi (what a face) and the Newfoundland, who won.

Were you pleased or disappointed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,040 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:11 am
a corgi, what?????????

Oh, I can't get Westminster on m'telly. Some years I go to friends' houses, but y'know, it ain't a regular thing. The NYTimes follows it fairly well, but nah, I didn't know about , oh god, a corgi, was it one with a tail or without? A corgi, she dances about at the thought, a corgi????? Oh, dang it, where is Tartarin NOW? She has a puppy Cardigan, oh, sigh.

Pacco of course is not in this stellar league, he just happens to be a humane society stallwart. He's barking as I type this.

A corgi?
0 Replies

John Garvey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:20 am
I'm always disappointed when a Basenji doesn't go Best in Show, or at least Best of Breed. Has it ever happened? What is wrong with those judges? Can't they recognize beauty when they see it?

And a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is looking good to me also.

But I agree, the Newfoundland was spectacular.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:29 am
Josh won? Spectacular...Im a great fan of his.

They are all fantastic though, Id hate to have the job of picking the best.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:44 am
I was very happy Josh won. He was gorgeous. Then again, I'm a big dog person so as long as some terrier doesn't win I'm happy. And those poodles....yuck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 10:04 am
We liked Josh but we were rooting for Bunny (the Ibizan hound). We also thought the Corgi (Kevin, a Pembroke) had a shot.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:11 pm
I'm happy about Josh. I've been fond of Newfies ever since I found out they will rescue swimmers whether or not the swimmers are in danger of drowning.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:14 pm
The corgi was the tailless variety. What a gorgeous and cute little guy. Here's a link for a photo. http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2004/photos/group/DL77139701.html

It was not possible for me to see this dog and not think of you and Pacco.

Yup, I love big dogs, too. And I also love terriers.

John Garvey, I'm a basenji fan myself. Don't know if one has ever won its group.

Sugar, Poodles are wonderful dogs. Smart, athletic, loyal. Don't blame the dog because of the frou-frou haircut.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:48 pm
I thought that other little dog (Welsh something or other with the red coat) looked nice too. Drool face, but pretty coat.

Nope. Still hate poodles.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:24 pm
I dont like the poodles either--and the hair cut just makes it worse IMO
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:24 pm
Ah, well. No poodle fans. It's a good thing there's more than one breed. I can't think of a breed I don't like. I'm also a mixed breed fan. Let's face it. I love them all.

I can't go to the Westminster Dog show. Why? I want them all. I come home miserable.

I have similar problems when I go to the zoo. But that's another story.

:-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:49 pm
Hmm, Welsh Pembroke Corgi? That little fluff mobile! What a show doggie. Did it drool, maybe it wasn't the corgi. There was a little furry brown thing, a sussex spaniel, I gather. I didn't see it, but was looking at the NYTimes articles and photos on line today. (look under the NYT, Sports, today's article about the show, and then click on Slide Show...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:36 pm
ahhhh, the joys of the standard poodle. Absolutely brilliant dogs to work with. They love to do their jobs, and they are so smart. Bailey and I have been in training classes with standard poodles. They're wonderfully tough dogs - and a great joy. They have tremendous senses of humour.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
ehBeth, Yes, poodles are smart and fun. My neighbor had a gorgeous black one. I loved dat dog. No silly hairdo. Just a fine-looking dog. Tres athletic. And did I mention smart?

Osso, Josh and the Sussex spaniel drooled. Josh also barked--before he won.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:16 am
Bailey, and a sheltie and the poodle in our advanced class were the only three dogs who passed the AKC CGC test the first time round. The poodle had a little trouble with the paramedic part of the test in practicing (they can be very protective, assertive dogs - training is a real benefit to them) - but then went on to be a star - SUPERSTAR!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
I thought the newfoundland was the one who carried a little keg of brandy around to help people trapped in snow slides...sheeeeze. What's the difference between a St. Bernard and a Newfoundland?

I didn't watch the complete show, however. But Josh was beautiful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
Three years later and I'm into night 2 of critiquing (and almost nail-biting).

Yesterday's Best in Group results ... click
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:48 pm
I thought this girl was particularly beautiful last night

http://www.redwitch.co.uk/images/maceywestminster.jpg

Redwitch Reason to Believe

<sigh>
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 11:05 pm
James, a springer spaniel won this year. Can't go wrong with a spaniel. A great group.

Can't find a photo of James. He is beautiful.

BTW, couldn't understand why my avatar appeared with your thread, Beth, until I looked at the year.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 04:05 am
Found a photo. Watched the show. This may be the best looking springer spaniel I've ever seen. His coat shimmered. His personality shone. What a guy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6470974_38_3.jpg
0 Replies