Internet "Favorites"/ Do You Save Them? Use Them?

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:19 am
This morning I was looking at my computer desktop. On it I have "Google", "Refdesk", the Weather Channel, my most used E Mail accounts, a couple of financial websites, and of course A2K.

Then, I thought about something. My Favorites. Everytime, I find some website that it interesting, I put it into "My Favorites". It is sort of organized. The problem is by biggest folder is labeled, "Information NOS", which is my "garbage pail category", when I can't figure out where else it belongs.

Then I realized that I have an encyclopedia of interesting things that I have found on the net, THAT I SELDOM ACCESS AGAIN.

Do YOU have a large favorites file? Do you actually go back and access these websites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,538 • Replies: 26
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:26 am
Oh, totally. I mean, some are never visited again, sure, but a LOT are. Some sample folders include "Christmas" (links to specific books on Amazon, links to specific gift possibilities on J.Jill, etc.), "Communities" with links to here, Abuzz, Diva's site, and all the others I visit, and "Deaf", which has probably close to 100 links for various resources like an ASL browser, Gallaudet University, etc. I have about 30 of these folders in addition to the top-of-the-list stuff like Google, Yahoo, and the Onion.

We once had some kind of computer problem and it looked like "Favorites" had gone poof, and I was distraught. But we'd backed up all but a few.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:23 am
http://www.metacritic.com/ is my second favorite film site, Imdb being first of course. I like it because it is a quick source for reviews and has a direct link to Imdb for whichever film you have selected.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:33 am
Yes I do keep sites in my "Favorites" and I am soo organized that I have folders for them. I too lost all my favorites some time ago when I upgraded to a new computer and so, I put a lot of information these days into an excel spreadsheet, which I use for email addresses, computer passwords on sites that I am a member of, etc.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:39 am
Phoenix-Sorry about placing my previous post on the wrong thread. I have tried to repost it on the right thread, but now I can't find it. Hopefully I'll get with the program one of these days.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:50 am
I make good use of favorites, especially for the potential goodies I run across while looking for something else. They should probably be copied to excel as I lost the whole collection once too.

Flyboy, you do know you have the option of viewing topics you have posted in, don't you? It's at the top of the page, directly across from "View topics with posts since your last visit."
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:50 am
www.mediacritic.com is my second favorite movie site. Imdb is of course my first. I like it because it is a quick source for reviews and has a direct link to Imdb for the film selected.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:11 pm
My favorites is chock full and I have folders within it it to try to keep it more organized. So many people provide the best links here and did so in Abuzz. Sometimes when I am looking through I see a topic that I have not used for a long time and then delete it. Often I favorite a topice to read later and then forget about it. But before I delete any topic I make sure I have looked it over. I keep very little on my desk top, don't know what it is about shortcuts I tend not to use them. The only short cut I use on a regular basis is my Yahoo bridge and of course A2k.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 01:14 pm
I've stored about 80 (including some megalinks) in different browsers under different topics - I think, I refer to most of them at least once a week.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:06 pm
This time I'm not here by accident. I find my favorites list invaluable. I'm certain I would not remember the proper URL's of many sites that I use daily or weekly without them. Sites like google, A2K, N.Y. Post, N.Y. Daily News, New York Times, film sites I mentioned above, and many more. My one complaint is I have not found a simple way to arrange them in order since new ones always go to the bottom. I have figured out that I can move them up by clicking on one or more of the less used higher ones, click on "add to favorites" (this will add a duplicate at the bottom of the list), then click delete. The upper one disappears but the new one stays at the bottom. There is probably a simpler way which I have not discovered.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:11 pm
Flyboy804- Go to a favorites folder.>right click>left click, sort by name, and they all come up in alphabetical order!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:15 pm
Go to the page you want to add to your collection of favorite pages. On the Favorites menu, click Add To Favorites. Type a new name for the page if you want to.

Tips: To store your page in a different folder, click the Create In button in the Add To Favorites dialog box.

To open one of your favorite pages, click the button on the toolbar, and then click the page you want to open. To keep track of your favorite pages, you can organize them into folders.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:44 pm
I probably did not state my problem clearly, What I am trying to do is rearrange my existing favorites list in an arbitrary order based on my frequency of use.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:55 pm
flyboy804- I have a sneaky idea, which I use on my desktop. Rename each favorite with a letter in the front, the order that you want. Let's say the one that you want at the top is google. Name it AGoogle, BAble2know, etc. Then when you arrange by name, it will come up in the order that you want!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:31 pm
I use my mobile favorites list so I usually have it in 3 places(work puter, handheldpocketpc, and mymain puter @home), is it big? yea! Like Alaska - do I use them all - nope, but i have to have them handy in case I need them, I'm famous for going back to find some place.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
Phoenix-Thanks. A great "sneaky" idea which I am putting into effect immediately.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:47 pm
Might be easier to left click on a favorite and drag it where you want it.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:57 pm
Thanks, Roger, it works.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:24 pm
got 'em, use 'em, finally sorted them after about a year of just tossing them in like the 'special kitchen drawer' everyone has.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
I currently have about (make that over) 500 "favorites". The best and most frequently visited is www.lii.org librarian's index to the internet. i've recommended it to many people. Each Thursday they add aproximately 40 sites to the selections and I religiously scan for new sites each week.
For search engines I use http://www.beaucoup.com/engbig.html. When you go to parallel searches you can search using multi engines including Google. You will find response will vary greatly from one to the other.
0 Replies