Would you believe?

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:00 pm
Embarrassed This is a true story that took place today. A lady friend stopped me to tell me of a strange phone call she had. It was why the police were at her door a half hour earlier. The voice on the phone said, "I have been given some clothes to pass on to you. Would you like to have them?"
"Wait; who is this?"
"Who do you think it is?"
"Well, you sound like my nephew, - - - - ."
"That's who I am."
He proceeded to explain that he had to have her clothing size to learn if the clothing was the correct size. It would be necessary for her to remove her clothing to measure herself accurately. The woman stripped and measured her legs, bust, etc., for the man. After a bit the phone became disconnected. She dialed her nephew's number and said, "I'm sorry you got cut off." It was then that she learned the man was a total stranger. She phoned the police, who actually wasted their time by coming out to file a report.
That's it. Thought you'd like to know - And, no; I haven't a link to the story.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 10
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:05 pm
Strange story...some people will do anything you ask them to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:16 pm
Ill bet its her neighbor. He was watching while she was undressing. Id play a lot of poker with this woman, you could make a lot of money without much work.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
A few years ago my wife got a call from a stranger using the same method -agreeing to information you volunteer- in order to appear to be someone she knew. It also happened to a Great Aunt a few years before that.

I believe television "medium" John Edward is familiar with a few variations of this technique as well.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:45 pm
Once my stepmother was at home all alone one day when a big van pulled up in front of our house. A man came to the door and said he was selling grandfather clocks. He said she would have to get into his truck to see the clocks. So, she went outside and got into his truck with him to look at clocks. Then she bought a clock, and now my parents have a nice grandfather clock.

Who'dve thought that one would have turned out well????
We still tease her, pretending to sell her bad watches every so often.
It was really dumb, she could have gotten kidnapped!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:38 am
Portal Star, that was soooooo funny!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:33 am
Risky, but a good story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:32 am
we often have salesmen just drive up the lane like those guys in Secondhand Lions. they would sell all kinds of stuff. the best one is a guy who, acts like hes never been to our place before. goes to the back of his car, and in the trunk are large coolers full of meat. Hes selling meat out of his trunk.
i always tell him that the meat hes selling comes from those large animals that are in our pasture. he never gets it. We have cattle right in out field next to the lane and he thinks that
milk comes from a cow
beef comes from some sort of beef 'animal"
'Ya wanna buy some meat?"

"Dont you remember being here last year about this time selling meat'?
NOPE
"then you dont recall what I said then do you?"
NOPE
"Maa get me the shotgun"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
edgarblythe- I heard that story thirty years ago. It is a very old ploy.

Quote:
"Wait; who is this?"
"Who do you think it is?"
"Well, you sound like my nephew, - - - - ."
"That's who I am."

That is where your friend went wrong. People who pull these stunts use stuff like this to gain the victim's confidence.

Once, when I was still living in my parent's house, someone called, and spoke to my mother. The girl was crying on the phone. My mother thought that she was me, and blurted out my name. The caller hooked on to this, said that she WAS me, and had my mother nearly hysterical. The caller kept saying that she was going to kill herself.

Lo and behold, was my mother surprised when I walked in the door, cool as a cucumber. She had been so taken in, that she really believed the caller had been me.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 10:29 am
Oh my, Phoenix! Your poor mother.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
I just told the story without embellishing because I was sure everone would say: "I could've seen through it right away." Of course this woman was more than average gullible (I'd like to play poker with her before anybody else gets to her). Still, in moments of vulnerability a similar thing could happen to the most wizened.
0 Replies