Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
I may be very unreasonable and unobjective on this topic. I have an almost six month old Boxer pup. I adore this dog. I am concerned about her aggression potential because of the way she plays, attack dog. If you didn't know she was playing with the fierce look, growling, and barking, she would scare me behaving like this.

I have teen kids who have had animals in their life since birth. My kids got in far more trouble mistreating an animal than any pet I have owned. They do know proper care and love animals, except for my daughter maybe. She finds puppy behavior annoying. She didn't start out all that refined either, which angers me over stupid complaints. I guess teen girls are famous for that, complaining about anything and everything. My point, both kids are capable of training and treating all animals with compassion or I would kick them in the head, lol!

My son and his friends are a very different story. They adore this pup and think her aggressive play is way cool. My son does nothing to encourage my pup to be an attack dog. The dog adores it. I play it with her only by touching her coat, where she responds with aggressive behavior. My son would never allow anyone to provoke the pup or treat her with anything but kindness, but what do you realistically do with late teen boys that think she is so cool demanding this manor of play?

I didn't pick a Boxer, my husband and son adore the breed. I got outnumbered after the death of our Lab. I wanted another one, which they felt was a hurtful reminder and unfair comparison because of the wonderful dog we lost. I have not personally dealt with this breed since they aren't very common in the area which I live or popular. I saw POP, which were wonderful dogs, playful, friendly, accepted other animals, which was exactly the dog I wanted. She was bred by rural people with many animals. I love all dogs. When my kids were younger, it mattered a lot more to me whether a dog was an aggressive breed or not. My old dogs died and my kids are a lot older to handle an animal in a proper way, with compassion, love, and kindness.

I have seen aggression many times out of German breeds. I have only personally experience two Boxers in my life, both aggressive. I have also seen the most loyal and friendly German breeds as well. A friend who owned a Dobie told me it was how you treat the dog with love and what you train them as acceptable from unacceptable behavior when they show aggression.

He also said that German dogs were very intelligent and would require more attention than a lot of breeds, which I have found to be true. This pup gives loyalty a whole new name. I have never experienced such devotion and love from a dog, until I bought a Boxer. I love her back with equal devotion to her and need to know how she should be properly trained, given shown aggressive traits in her play, not behavior.

She will come up to me with this mean dog look and bark, which means, "Let's play!" to her. The boys are late teens that don't discourage this manner of play, which is her idea, attack dog, not theirs, but they indulge her every time. She has been trained to stop immediately on command, which she does. She also has been trained not to bite, only use teeth that will not cause a scratch on anyone, but still constantly wishes to play attack dog and adores it. I have a whole group of teen boys that adores her for such fierce behavior and opposite loving nature. She has a way of winning your heart, even to my parents, who are cat people. Everyone loves this pup.

I know that only adult dogs are truly aggressive, not puppies. My puppy is showing a duality of nature that concerns me a lot. She is curious about my gerbils, which have been loose, with supervision, and now goes to their cage with paws very interested in them. She has never attempted, even when we take them out, to harm in any way. She would love it if my cat would play with her, but my cat was initially fearful of her, a topic time resolved. The cat gets angry with her and the pup leaves her alone, but will chaise her if she runs, despite my no kitty rule. All of my pets are strictly indoor animals. My cat has no claws or my puppy may not have eyes today.

My pup is getting larger every day and a lot stronger. I try to socialize her with other people and dogs, which she adores every single person or animal she sees, showing no aggression at all, just a need for attention and curiosity is all. Boxers are an active breed and don't stop playing until physically unable to, from my understanding.

Last evening, I actually had to separate my pup from a small breed. The mix breed weiner dog was so small she could easily walk underneath my pup, but got tired of her wish to play. From my observation of these two, which were completely supervised, my pup was not trying to harm, but was too large for this type of breed.

I had to separate the two after the small dog got tired of play and found a chew toy. The small dog was attempting injury type of biting when my pup was bugging an adult, toy breed, dog that was never bred for the energy level of a Boxer, much less a pup. I feared injury to my dog, given the very short muzzle of a Boxer and large eyes. The toy breed was a biter for harm. My pup doesn't realize her strength, even if half grown, or size.

My pup is immunized and allow her to play with any dog that I do not feel will harm her, for socialization that I feel is very important with a young age to make a kind dog of her, not an attack dog. I know a puppy of six months of age is only learning. She would not attack this small dog at her age. I am very concerned about her adult behavior with the same situation, many attempts to harm by a small dog.

Would she kill this small breed attempting injury to her as an adult dog, not almost six month old puppy? Her reflexes are so fast. Her size is going to be on the low level of large dog, yet thin and agile. She is very intelligent and learning more every day. My husband suggested that she only be allowed to play with known, unaggressive, larger dogs to put her in a more submissive position. Is this a good idea?

I apologize for making such a long story of this. I am concerned about my pup's style of play, attack dog, which completely conflicts with her personality. I try my best to socialize her with people and other animals, not allowing any aggressive behavior out of her. I am concerned about what type of an adult dog she will be.

Any tips on how to properly train an aggressive breed of dog is appreciated. I am very confused by the conflict on her desired style of play, attack dog, with her personality that adores even a gerbil. I will not part with this dog even if she is an aggressive adult dog. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

I'm great at spoiling a dog, but not so fantastic at serious training, which a Boxer may require from me as a responsible owner. She is an indoor dog who only goes outside so she doesn't use my carpet as a bathroom. I can't resist her and she already knows it. I do want to do the best thing for her, even if I have to be more strict than I currently am, to have a nice dog that loves everyone, people or animal, which is her current personality. Yes, I am a bit of a worrier!! I love this dog and want the best training tips from other owners. I refuse to part with her even if she is aggressive, but do not know how to handle this situation, if it does occur.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion of training my pup!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,965 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:41 pm
Hi, I haven't actually read through your whole post (making dinner, wanted to pop in - I'll come back later).

I have a Boxer, she's about 9 years old. I absolutely adore this dog and the breed in general. They are bred to be aggressive so training them not to be should start early. I'm not so sure that rough play is training your dog to be aggressive.

I think that it is VERY important to socialize your dog. Have her meet all types of people, all ages, all colors. People wearing hats, carrying umbrellas, wearing glasses. And most importantly (from my experience) is getting her socialized with other dogs. Bring her to the dog park, let her meet other dogs on her own terms, let her get knocked down a few times.

Reprimand any aggressive behavior with a domination move - role her over and make her stay. And practice routine sit-stay commands to keep her from getting too cocky (keep her submissive to you). Be consistent with your rules.

I would recommend a dog-training session or two.

Ok, I have to make dinner, will be back.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:55 pm
I had a boxer that we had to get rid of because of an agressive streak that ran too deeply.

I was the teen who loved it. My sympathy. I wanted nothing but to keep that dog. But the dog would not play nice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:06 pm
Sorry Craven, that sucks.

Wildflower. Boxers can be explained like this: they love their pack. If their pack includes gerbils and dogs in the play group as well as your family, she'll love all of you. They are bred as guard dogs, so they will also be aggressive to anyone she feels is a threat. Does that help you understand her duality?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:34 pm
Littlek, your dog is beautiful!! Thank you for calming my concerns and living through that long post. Yes, that does make a lot of sense as to her complete lack of aggression on what I would think of as an animal any dog would not necessarily get along with. My cat likes the gerbils too.

I agree, socialization and never allowing any sign of aggressive behavior are very important. So far, so good with that! My son has his domain in the basement, TV, video games, stereo, the works. I allow him to entertain his friends there. She does see people come and go from here often. I was concerned by the boys allowing her to play so rough, but she stops immediately on command and does not bite hard enough to hurt anyone. My husband takes her to a club which he belongs. It's private and people do bring their dogs at times. Luckily, it's most all guys hanging around watching sports, which my Lab used to feel threatened by, guys. I can only take her for walks. Most people don't like the idea of putting dogs together, so it is hard for me to find animal socialization.

Since she is still young, I want to make sure that I cover the bases so that she will be a nice dog. The last thing I wan is her either horrifying or biting someone for walking past my house. She is a strict indoor dog. I cannot fence this yard without something that looks like I'm guarding the gold at Ft. Knox. I didn't need a fence at all with my Lab. She learned bountry by voice command. The house is on a hill too steep for a jumper.

She is already able to jump fairly high and is very agile. With the hill being so steep, a regular fence would not be adequate to keep her enclosed. I have opted for an electric fence, but that will not protect people who may cut through my yard from a dog that is protecting territory. For now, I use a chain by the front door for her to go outside and do her business. The coat type and short muzzle are not too compatible with any extreme in temperature. She can't stand being alone for long anyway, so she is always indoors with us.

I am using the chain for now until the weather is more agreeable and to see if her disposition is safe enough for an electric fence for protection of people that at times do cross through my yard and loose animals I see in the neighborhood.

I realize a breed like this is going to take more effort than my Lab did. I believe some people get breeds like this because of that guard instinct and exploit it. The animal can be dangerous because owners either encourage or fail to discourage aggressive behavior. I don't want to make any mistakes with her.

I do have a question about this breed and an electric fence, is this a good idea or not? I also feel terrible about the overly aggressive Boxer. I have a question about that too. Was the dog aggressive with owners or strangers or both? I had a friend that put her second Dobie down for attacking her when she was correcting him. Her first Dobie was completely out of hand also. You couldn't let anyone in her house without shutting the dog in a bedroom or he definitely would attack. They were able to keep the first, out of control, Dobie by protecting others from the dog. He was not aggressive towards owners and a very small handful of friends, which he liked. I did notice this dog was never corrected from acting aggressively at all, even for attempting to attack someone. I doubt the second one was either. With my Lab, I put an immediate stop to continued barking when someone came to the door, which I find unacceptable behavior.

Thanks for information from all. All training tips are much appreciated!
0 Replies

cockney sparrer

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:52 pm
Wildflower ----- haven't read the whole thread, but --------------

you have to let the dog know who is boss. Else it wants to be boss. Speak to it in a stern forcefull voice. Words of one sylable & if you have to make it sit down, push down on its rear end or lead it to ita bed. You have to show the dog what you want it to do.
Hold a rolled up newspaper but don't hit the dog. You'll only make it twitchy & it might fight back.
A bored dog is also trouble, so you have to talk to it, tell it what you are doing. It wont understand but communication goes a long way.............

good luck
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:03 pm
little k is right on with this one - make sure that she gets the message that you are the dominant one in the relationship. Making sure you get her in a submissive position will reinforce the point.

There's a boxer who lives 2 doors down that has an electric fence. He runs himself dizzy but doesn't cross the fence line. I'm sure this is a dog by dog basis though.

Also, anyone who cuts through a yard with a dog in it is a moron. Put up a sign to make sure people know to stay out of the yard - even without the dog there. You can't protect people from being rude by trespassing and stupid from getting bit by the dog who's there to protect his home.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:13 pm
[quick]Also, anyone who cuts through a yard with a dog in it is a moron.[/quote]

Regardless, ownership of a biting dog is a strict liability sort of thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:19 pm
The electric fence: I know dogs who go through them. I also know that they work for most dogs.

I've had a fenced in area for my dog at the houses I've lived in. You don't need to fence the whole yard, but is there a part of it that you'd feel ok fencing in for her. I wouldn't use an area like that for long durations because as you've noticed, boxers need company.

I think that the key things for your dog, given what you say you do already, are long walks to tire her, practicing her off-leash commands (Stop! Come!) somewhere safe, and trying to find dogs or dog groups to socialize her with other pooches.

Dogs have instincts and sometimes you just can't train them out of them. My dog is a ferocious beast for about the first 2 seconds she meets someone new. Then she apologizes, licks their hand and tries to sit in their lap.

My dog, the sweetest thing on earth, tried to kill a neighbor puppy who came into her yard. She was with a dog we lived with and I think they had some sort of pack thing going on. And she sometime jumps her doggie-friends when they threaten to eat something she wants to eat. I have learned what her short-comings are and know how to prevent bad stuff from happening (usually).
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:26 pm
Again, I wish to thank you all for your tips and answering seemingly stupid questions from an experienced dog owner. Although, I have seen wonderful examples of German breeds, I am a bit of a worrier by nature. I have always avoided breeds with known aggression potential because of my kids.

I know that people posting in an animal forum love animals as I do. I seriously doubt any of you would allow your children to cause physical pain to a dog and not expect a problem. You would correct your children immediately, as I always did. The problem is, most people don't think this way.

German breeds do not wait for someone to abuse them repeatedly, as my Lab did with warning barks. The will bite to defend on first strike of physical pain, usually. Dogs sense danger and act with instinct, a fierce one with German breeds. We know that, but most people do not. In most cases, it is not the fault of a well trained dog, but of another with no respect for animal life.

I agree with the point made about an electric fence not legally protecting me from a lawsuit by the ignorance of people who are obviously using my property without invitation, knowledge, or permission. I not only have a sidewalk in front of my house. I also have a public sidewalk between properties that runs along the length of my house.

I'm not so concerned about my dog. I am more concerned with people who will antagonize and physically cause pain to a dog for their own amusement, to sue me once the dog bites them. With a German breed, it may not be a bite, as with my Lab. It may be full attack.

I fear posting signs of possible aggression from a dog as an admission that this breed or dog is a known threat, by the owner, me. My dog adores everyone she sees, but can be abused, with no witness at all provoking attack from a breed know for aggressive traits to guard territory.

People are a larger problem than any dog ever dreamed of being. All it takes is one dog bite, provoked, in order to sue me. Posting signs can be twisted to state that I knowingly harbor a dangerous animal, when she shows no sign of at all of aggression. The breed traits will be exploited by anyone who wishes to exploit me or my dog, that I would never allow such freedom if I had serious thought that she may endanger anyone.

Legally speaking, posting signs not to enter my property because of a dog could be turned on me, even with people obviously trespassing on my property. If a kid is allowed outside without complete parental supervision, they are capable of reading a simple worded signs posted. If unable to read simple words, I call this neglectful parenting.

I live in an expensive neighborhood. There is a private school very near my house that does not have bus service that public schools offer with plenty of parents able to pay. My neighbors do not have common sense, but can afford a sleaze bag lawyer to sue me. A lot of animal haters use my sidewalks. Not everyone has respect for life, other than human as those who will pay attention to a pet forum do. We, people who love animals and respect that life, are different than most and more informed about animal behavior.

A lawyer is trained to twist words to win a jackpot sum of money, the limit of my liability insurance to owning my house and all assets over a provoked dog bite. No one can prove how people do and will provoke an animal out of amusement, even adults, sadly to say. I would have to run camera surveillance on my yard if I posted a sign about my dog. This isn't such a bad idea with teens! lol! I should head to Radio Shack!!

This isn't just for German breeds, but does apply to every dog owner. Size of dog doesn't matter, even if you own a toy breed, which my, short lived, Toy Fox Terrier was. If your Toy Poodle, which I have seen some real meanies out of this breed, bites. You are in big lawsuit trouble just as I am with a larger breed. This is why I was not against buying the breed, a Boxer. All dog owners are in the same boat if our dog happens to bite because of abuse. I also have a problem with letting ingorant people rule my decisions, even if it is what dog I own. I'm stubborn!!

I agree, warning signs are a reasonable warning to people, which they should listen to and stay off your property. They wont. They may antagonize and provoke my dog who, so far, poses absolutely not traits of violent behavior at all, no matter what breed. She isn't a guard dog, just a pet that I am willing to take any advice or measure to insure she is a nice dog, not a dog who will attack over someone crossing my lawn. I also agree about knowing your dog, as posted. That goes for any breed.

I do believe German breeds do pose more of a threat than a Lab. I also believe these are good natured and kind dogs, with correct training and treatment by owners. I fully intend to give her that. I have seen poor and fantastic examples, which owners either ignore or encourage aggression or do not.

The problem is, my yard is on a steep hill. I would have to post a picture for you to see what I am describing. This yard is stair stepped with three level parts on a fairly steep grade of land. I'll try to get out the dig cam pic. You would see my problem of a fence. This is not an option. I have to go with an electric fence, which I would prefer that allows my dog much more freedom in warm weather, which she will probably like. My yard has to be landscaped because of this grade of land. You can't run a lawnmower over the majority of it. What are KY people called? Hillbillies! Yes, the hills are a problem with fencing a suburban yard.

I do worry about her adult behavior, given she chooses to play attack dog as fun and games, but is obedient enough to stop, no matter how fired up she gets, immediately. It is this dual nature, which I have never seen out of any dog that concerns me.

Well, enough of my dog tales! Advise well taken from members. I am so busy sweet talking my dog, that she may not recognize who is dominant. I'm fantastic at spoiling all of my pets. This is the first breed I have owned that would challenge me. I guess that I have to show her who is boss, which may not be too clear to her given my spoiling her rotten. This was never a problem with my other dogs. They were never as dominant or demanding as my Boxer pup.

Thank you guys so much! I'm going to make a stronger stand with my dog and verbal command. Wish me luck and please don't stop with any suggestion, even if it sounds stupid. I am open to all. It has been so long since I trained a pup. All, very obedient with no need for a dominance struggle. This pup is different. We still struggle on who is training who. I am a a big softey with dogs and they all have known it, even my pup who tells me what she wants to play, where she wants to go, the works! They aren't stupid as people may think. Dogs are very smart, enough to train people.

I do allow her to tug my heart and give her way, if not unreasonable. I don't usually use command tone until she is clearly out of line, like raiding garbage or even the butter dish in the kitchen, which she likes. I take her to what she has done wrong and give strong disapproval, which has worked with all my dogs.

Maybe I need to grow up this time! Thank all again. I very much appreciate all your ideas and tips. I am firm about my ownership of a German breed and take every measure to insure saftey of everyone. I am inexperienced with such dominant breeds. I do not feel fear of ignorance, but do fear what ignorance may bring from people, not the dog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:53 pm
For what it's worth, some dogs view a loss of composure as a sign of weakness on their leader's part and question that person's dominance. (Not all, but some.) These dogs will respond positively to firm-but-calm, while yelling (and we don't always realize we're yelling) will only increase their anxiety and amplify the bad behavior you're trying to train out of them. Mine problem dog is one of these. (And our best guess as to his father's identity is that he was probably a German shepherd / rottweiller mix -- speaking of German breeds.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:03 pm
Check to be sure your homeowners' insurance is up to date. Just in case.

I don't mean to be a killjoy but dog bites now account for about 1/3 of all homeowners' claims. See: http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/dogbite/

An aggressive dog is nothing to be casual about. Get training, get your dog socialized, and keep her on a lead whenever you're outside. You do not want to be not only (a) paying a dog bite claim but also (b) feeling guilty about injuries to someone and (c) feeling extremely guilty about surrendering your dog to Animal Control.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:43 pm
Wildflower, my boxer will bark/growl at people she doesn't know/like or at people who are pushing her too hard. She's snapped at people (me when I once sat on her while she was sleeping), but there's no biting involved with the snap.

The only things she has ever bitten are other dogs and a possum who she found in our yard. Everyone lived through each of the experiences and the other dog owners chalked it up to 'just another dog fight'. I don't let her play with other dogs unless I know for sure she is friendly with them. If I had socialized her more with other dogs when she was a puppy, I think things would have been different (hence my advice above)
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:15 pm
I wanted to thank everyone for thier thoughts on this subject. I probably sound insane getting a dog of a know aggressive breed and being unable to fence. It is amazing how attached you can get to this dog. I never put up with the slightest bit of aggression from any dog I owned. I think this dog is going to be wonderful.

After I calmed down a bit over the breed, I suddenly realized that I had aggression problems with my Lab at times. When I was teaching her boundry, she barked at people not wanting them to cross the sidewalk. I corrected her immediately.

You can have aggression problems with any breed. I think that she is being trained properly. I don't think an electric fence will be a problem. She would probably invite a mass murder in if she thought he would pay attention to her. One thing she loves is meeting new people and I doubt that will change. I met her parents and they acted the same way, didn't even bark when we came to their home. Like her, they were curious and wanted to see new people.

Thanks again everyone!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:15 pm
Funny, just as an aside, I don't really consider boxer to be an aggressive breed.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:23 pm
I asked a lot of questions before buying this breed. I got nothing but glowing review from people that actually were familiar with this breed. It is not currently a popular breed, so I have only seen two examples in my lifetime, both a bit on the awful side.

I know, I sound like I went into this ignorantly, but I honestly didn't. I read the books, talked to what people I could, and tried to find out information about a Boxer. I got glowing reviews from people familiar with the breed. My brother demanded to know why on earth I bought 'The Bloodsport Dog of England' and was afraid to let his kids around my puppy.

I have to admit, my brother and his wife would never be cruel to an animal, but do not have the love for them I have had all my life. My brother met my pup because I stupidly took on Christmas dinner for both sides of the family. My sister in-law said my brother liked my dog so much that he was considering buying one himself. My heart about stopped. This is not a dog for people that do not have a love for animals. They are entirely too demanding and time consuming.

Boxers are smart dogs, even the pups who are trying to learn everything around them. She adored his kids, much to his surprise, not mine. I already knew she adored kids. She was playful, yet gentle with them. This in not a breed that I would advise for my brother. He wants simplicity. Get a nice cat! Boxers are anything but a simple breed. They are intelligent, highly so, curious, and do have aggression built in. I have noticed that they do and will challenge who is boss. I don't think he has the patience or love that I do for such a breed.

I agree, you are right. The Boxer is not an aggressive breed with an owner who is willing to spend time, a lot of it, caring for and training them. They require as much attention as my kids did in young years, which I give her. I do believe the Boxer can and is exploited by owners who buy for attack instincts and end up with an untrained or poorly trained dog that ends up at the pound, only because of owner neglect.

Confindence isn't exactly my strongpoint these days. It's been a while since I have trained a pup. Like your own children, you want to make sure you do the right thing by that life you took into your home. I believe, with the support of others on this site, that I have.

This pup will be a big play baby that loves everyone and I don't see that changing with her behavior towards strangers. She can't resist meeting people without any reservation at all. I was very confused by her insisting on playing attack dog and what that may progress to. Nothing, if you never allow any aggressive behavior at all, which I never did with any of my pets.

I have a quickly growing lap dog. In reality, I can't figure out how to get this pup off my lap to watch TV. I don't make her get down. I feel this is part of a necessary bonding process for her, so she is getting larger and often finds the smallest space to cuddle that usually puts my legs to sleep. I really wish she would quit shopping for something that smells good in the kitchen, whether it be the very interesting garbage can or what is on the kitchen table or counter.

I realize, finally, that she is only a pup prone to doing all kinds of things that aren't exactly what you would want her to do, like shopping in the garbage can. Her manor of play scared me a bit, but I do believe that is all she is doing, playing. She stops immediately on command and does not bite to cause so much as a scratch on command. She will calm down, but at her age, it is a bit early to ask perfection. Her housebreaking is going great.

She is getting better at voice command every day, but I do spoil her rotten. I don't let her get away with unacceptable behavior. I'm working on jumping on people greeting them right now. When she was smaller, it wasn't an problem, but she will knock people over getting larger and stronger if she doesn't stop this, which she is progressing, if my dad didn't let her jump all over him! He spoils her rotten too.

This really is a fantastic dog, even though I had reservations of any German breed. I have seen many wonderful breeds, like the nicest to meanest Dobie you could imagine. Owners have told me it is all about what you are willing to tolerate, whether she will be aggressive or not. I never have tolerated ill behavior out of any of my dogs, especially aggression.

I am still open to any suggestion to training and behavior of a Boxer. I have only the text version that didn't tell me they were overgrown lap dogs!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:39 am
You sound like you're instinctually handling your delightful little boxer puppy just right. Follow your instincts, after all, your dog will.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:46 pm
I'm trying Littlek! I adore this dog. She is so much fun. I don't know anyone who owns this breed personally, just second hand praise is all. I would love to hear about your Boxer. Are they really overgrown lap dogs? Mine seems to be! She also demands so much more attention than my other dogs. Is this part of the Boxer trait?

I have felt lousy all day, but my dog doesn't get it. I got my son and friends to entertain her today. My Lab and terrier were so different. They were much more independent than my Boxer pup. I am curious if it just happens to by my pup's personality or are all Boxers very demanding of your time and attention as this one. This is exactly why I strongly discouraged my brother from buying one. I don't think he would want to spend this sort of time with a dog, but I love it, except when I feel like hell and think my head might explode from a headache, like today.

Is the breed naturally demanding or is it the fact that I give her so much attention? I do let her cuddle endlessly, even if she is getting to be a space hog. She knows that I will take care of her. So did my Lab while she was dying, but was never this demanding of my time.

My pup acts just like a playful kid. She knows her limits, but always wants to push them. I do correct her. All it takes is a tone of disapproval. Are all Boxers this sensitive? She appears to evaluate everything, even a pop machine that she couldn't figure out, which sent her flying when the can finally came out of the thing.

I would love to hear about your Boxer. I'm finally understanding why people give such rave reviews of this breed! Boxers really are a lot of dog, but worth it in ways I never imagined.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:41 pm
You definitely sound like you're describing a boxer. They have breed traits, for sure. Over-grown lap dog - yep.

Bootsie will get in my (or anyone else's lap) as soon as they sit on the couch. She always wants to be with me, she follows me from room to room. She lives to be with as many of her pack as possible. She stands in the middle of a group of people when they stand speaking to one another. Right in the middle. She adores a house party.

She cocks her head at everything. And pokes things with her nose. She'll poke it more than once if it moves in interesting ways. She makes a lot of weird noises when she's demanding to be fed (which is often!) - she sort of hums.

She wakes up every morning so happy that it's impossible for me to wake up feeling down. She wiggles and rolls and wags her little nub.

She knows when people are sad and she tries to climb into their laps - almost always makes the sad person laugh. She wants desperately to lick the insides of as many mouths as possible (this is doggie communication - greeting).

I live in a city with lots of dogs. She barks often during the day. Not at everyone who walks by, but at most people, and especially if they're walking a dog. Sometimes she barks if they're carrying plastic bags (this is why I don't agree that boxers are particularly smart, haha).

That's enough for now. i could go on and on. Yep, I love boxers. They are a pain in the butt, but soooo worth it.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:44 am
Oh, I love to hear pet stories, especially Boxer ones! I guess everyone noticed, but you often have to get out duct tape when it comes to talking about animals. I'm worse than a grandma getting out the brag book! I appreciate the fact that you shared your Boxer's personality.

My overgrown lap dog doesn't like me to use the computer. When she was much smaller, I would put her on my lap and type around her. She isn't thrilled that she is by herself with no one to cuddle or play with and bugs for me to get off the computer and pay attention to her. She is big enough now to hop on the arm of the chair, whine, then gives me a cat paw gesture running her paw through my hair. That means, "Get off the computer!"

They definitely can be a pain in the butt, but in a adorable way. What dog really cares that you aren't cuddling with them? What dog want to help clean the house, usually making a tug of war with the mop so they can participate in everything you do?

My pup doesn't bark at anything. The only time she does bark is to get your attention to play or do something she wants. She doesn't bark when someone knocks on the door, just runs to it waiting to see who it is. Maybe it is because she is still a pup, not sure.

She adores meeting new people to the point of obnoxious. Last evening, my husband brought a friend over. She wouldn't leave the guy alone. Teens love this sort of thing, but adults don't necessarily appreciate a curious dog climbing on the chair with him, when she is getting a bit large for that. It doesn't look like this behavior is going to change any time too soon.

I'm picturing a possible 70 pound dog doing the exact same thing to any visitor in my house with no clue she is a bit oversized to hop in someone's lap wanting them to play with her. I have heard that Boxers continue to be playful their entire life. I'm not seeing any end to her high curiosity level either. I don't see her ever getting off my lap, no matter how large she gets.

I'm sure a lot of this is my fault for spoiling her a little to rotten. I don't see affection from a dog as a problematic sort of behavior. I let her squeeze into the smallest space, where she doesn't fit anymore, and ends up lying on me all the time. I do scoot her over at times, but never make her get down. She seems to have an intense need to be close to people, which I am guilty of indulging. Her behavior is intimidating to people that have no idea she is just curious and has to see who this new person is.

She has always been treated very well and has no idea that people may not like her as she does them. I do worry about her idea of play, attack dog, which people that know her think nothing of. She will scare people to death attempting to get them to play like this with her. She wont hurt anyone. She has been trained not to bite hard enough to hurt anyone and stops immediately on command. She does try to entice people into playing attack dog with her.

She will definitely horrify my family with this one! My mother in-law already hates her. She's a serious cat person. I like cats too and own a Darwin perfect Main Coon, but that doesn't mean I only like cats. A lot of people aren't too understanding of animals I have noticed. Their loss! I honestly believe people that have no compassion or caring for animals have something drastically wrong with them.

My pups love for playing attack dog did concern me, especially when her personality is a complete opposite. After I stopped thinking out of fear, I realized that this is only a part of the breed, but definitely not all. Any dog is capable of aggression, but I didn't think a thing about it with my Lab only because of the breed. I was very concerned about a Boxer.

I wouldn't give the ok for anyone to own a Boxer, only those with true love for animals that are willing to spend a lot of time working with them. If you have a true love for dogs, they are so worth every second you spend working with them that many other breeds don't require. I am understanding, despite my fear of the breed, why people gave me such glowing reviews of this breed. They really are great dogs, even if the look like the chaise parked cars! lol!
0 Replies