Cover, Book, Judge

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:44 am
this made me laugh this morning, listening to the Opie & Anthony podcast of yesterdays show, the guys were discussing the top radio shows, while reviewing the list they came across a broadcaster they didn't know, but Jim Norton, comedian and co-host made this remark, "I don't know who he is, but the fact that he spells Tom, T-H-O-M makes me hate him"

so folks, what kind of triggers do you have for making snap judgements on people or things

msolga

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:22 am
@djjd62,
That's funny!
I'll bet Thom gets very upset when anyone refers to him as "Tom". Wink

What really grates with me (like finger nails scraping a blackboard) is when people refer to themselves in the third person.:
"Ms Olga is weary tonight and may retire soon.".
I can't think of a better example to illustrate my point (because I actually am tired), but you know what I mean.
Aghh!
thack45

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

so folks, what kind of triggers do you have for making snap judgements on people or things

people who buy in to obnoxious style. like gaudy hats or unnecessarily large footwear. or pajama bottoms. and bumper stickers.

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:56 am
@djjd62,
I am confused by women who wear shoes like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrYLb9NAJki26r7N8gTbYG-q-NZ0H9fu2zD0l9jb6ZrrX_SJmU
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:17 am
@boomerang,
I've wondered what they look like after being worn several times. I picture a series of wear wrinkles, so that the profile is uplifted at the tip of the toe, like jesters' shoes. But maybe they are built more sturdily than other leather shoes.

I think of them as I do many fanciful shoes, as a kind of sculpture kept in closets.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:26 am
@thack45,
I've never had a bumper sticker on my pajama bottoms . . . that's pretty damned weird . . . why would anyone do that?
thack45

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:32 am
@Setanta,
evidently you've missed the massive campaign going on for awareness of the word "pink"...

*edit* okay i admit that had nothing to do with bumper stickers

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:41 am
@boomerang,
lots of clothing mystifies me, as do folks who try to hard to not look their age, my mom goes to a seniors group, she's in her 70's, white hair, natural looking older woman, there are two women in the group, one mid 80's, the other almost 90, who die their hair midnight black, but still have old lady pale wrinkled faces, i'm not sure who they think they're kidding (probably only themselves)

men in a bad rug or die job is another mystery
Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:24 am
@djjd62,
People with giant ear tube piercings...

they remind me of cannibals with big bones through their nose.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:32 am
@msolga,
Ditto on third-person references being a button-push for me.

Here's one example who did it almost constantly: anytime the former Red Sawx and Yankees hitter would talk of himself, he'd refer to himself in the third person.

I have another button-push:
Roseanne Barr...just about anything about her, but particularly her voice.

Add to that Fran Drescher to that voice list; however, Fran D. commands respect for all her other on-sceen and off-screen activities (except The Nanny). It's only her voice that is tough to hear.
Irishk

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 09:10 am
@Ragman,
Voices -- that's mine, too. As irrational as I know it is, I have to mute the sound if someone like Paula Deen or that guy from Mississippi who ran for president or John Edwards, etc. are on radio/tv speaking. Fran, a little bit, but her voice and accent mostly made me laugh...never had to actually 'mute' her lol.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:17 am
@ossobuco,
There are some shoes that I consider sculpture and I appreciate them as such:

http://www.orble.com/images/mojito-shoe1.jpg

But those pointy monsters? Not so much. To me, those are just weird and deformed looking.
Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:07 am
@boomerang,
That's a shoe? How can you walk in that shoe? It must be tough enough to walk in high heels as it is already but that looks impossible.
Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:51 pm
Paula Deen's voice is like nails running down a blackboard--real slow. Thud.

I've got a buncha others. I'll be back.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:14 pm
@Ragman,
Ya never know. That final curve at the rear might provide a nice cushionie spring. Anyhow, if I'm guessing right about that being the rear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
@boomerang,
Me too. Not that one. I have actually admired shoes as sculpture. But I'm cranky.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:37 pm
The first time I saw the woman in the Progressive insurance ads, I hated her. The one with the head band, the poofy hair, and the red lipstick. Go away, lady.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 12:15 am
@djjd62,
Was Thom's last name perhaps Smythe?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:38 am
@Roberta,
Amen. Annoying to the max.

Add to that they run this ad everywhere and in every 10 minutes slot. It makes you wonder how it is that with hiring the expensive ad agency and constanly running those ads they can offer low prices to the consumers, too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/mediabakery/mediabakery0903/mediabakery090300216/4518087-businessman-talking-on-cell-phone-earpiece.jpg

A gal at work walks around talking, then when I answer her she shushes me. "Can't you see I'm on the phone?"
Well... no.

How much better if she wore this

http://archshrk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hands-free-cell-phone-500x375.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cover, Book, Judge
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:52:10