Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:13 am
Hands Up Who Love Reading?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:26 am
dlowan wrote:
Hands Up Who Love Reading?

Me!!!!!!!!!!! *hand up and waving*

oh....*L* I get it....it's your idea for a book club name....

never mind Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:29 am
Lol - er - doh!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:39 am
Here is a REALLY bad one!

Bibliofillies

Very Happy

Do I know bad taste or what!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:44 am
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:09 am
Sign of the times

Silently Speaking Book Club (variation: Silent Speakers B. C.)

Gestures (variation: Womanly Gestures)

Silent Voices

Mime Readers (had to toss that one back in there)

Soz, does your book club hae to have 'book club' behind it, or can it be reading circle, or some other variation thereof?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:52 am
Doesn't have to be "Book Club", no.

Keep it coming!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:52 am
sozobe wrote:
Seal, I'm always surprised at how many people I think of as old-timers -- like, people I've known online for a long time -- don't know. It comes up fairly often, but it doesn't come up even more often, and so there are still little pockets of "really???"

I became deaf when I was a teenager (weird fluctuating thing, up down up down weekly daily hourly for 5 years) have been profoundly deaf since. (Translation = can't hear nothin'.) Learned ASL in college, got involved in Deaf community. Now bi-lingual and bi-cultural. But because I was born hearing, have a hearing husband, etc., more part of hearing culture than Deaf culture.

Mime readers. Hmmmm.... ;-)

I didn't know 'til recently. Maybe 6 weeks to 2 months ago.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:53 am
Oh really? Do you remember what the context was?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:03 am
Nope, but I believe it was something in the middle of another conversation. You may have been explaining why some interpretation wasn't available to you. (but it's a bit hazy now-a problem I seem to be having a lot of lately!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:06 am
Ah. Just curious, thanks.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:11 am
Soz, is the sozlet learning sign language? How old is she now, and how is she handling it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:18 am
She's 3, and ASL was her first language. She was signing "mama" at I think 4 months old (I have a picture and everything.) She knew 250 signs at 18 months old, and could communicate all kinds of interesting stuff. (Like the urgent message that there were orangutans -- "orange gorillas" -- that lived in our tree.)

Her ability to communicate so early (babies can manipulate their hands far earlier than they can speak) really cut down on her frustration level, and she never really had "the terrible twos" -- I mean, not implying that she was a perfect angel (she WASN'T) but communication really helped.

She said some words early on, but didn't really start speaking until fairly late -- 22 months? I remember lots of conversations that went like this; "Does she talk?" "No, but she signs over 250 words!" "Yes, but does she talk?" Rolling Eyes Then she started talking, and is now really articulate. Multi-syllabic words, perfect sentence construction, etc. She's also tall for her age, and people regularly think she's a shortish 4 year old because of her speech.

Anyway, enough bragging, but she's a smartie. Teaching her ASL early worked out great for us. (She still signs, usually according to situation -- if she wants to say something "secret" in public, if her mouth is full, etc. I lipread, and can usually understand her speech.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
It's something I'd like to learn. But I don't know anyone who knows it.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
She's 3, and ASL was her first language. She was signing "mama" at I think 4 months old (I have a picture and everything.) She knew 250 signs at 18 months old, and could communicate all kinds of interesting stuff. (Like the urgent message that there were orangutans -- "orange gorillas" -- that lived in our tree.)

Her ability to communicate so early (babies can manipulate their hands far earlier than they can speak) really cut down on her frustration level, and she never really had "the terrible twos" -- I mean, not implying that she was a perfect angel (she WASN'T) but communication really helped.

She said some words early on, but didn't really start speaking until fairly late -- 22 months? I remember lots of conversations that went like this; "Does she talk?" "No, but she signs over 250 words!" "Yes, but does she talk?" Rolling Eyes Then she started talking, and is now really articulate. Multi-syllabic words, perfect sentence construction, etc. She's also tall for her age, and people regularly think she's a shortish 4 year old because of her speech.

Anyway, enough bragging, but she's a smartie. Teaching her ASL early worked out great for us. (She still signs, usually according to situation -- if she wants to say something "secret" in public, if her mouth is full, etc. I lipread, and can usually understand her speech.)

There was an article in the paper this past week on how infants could be taught sign language at an earlier age than they can speak. I didn't read the whole thing but it sounded quite interesting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:43 pm
There were some articles last week, caprice, referring to the SIGN with your BABY™ program (e.g. in the 'North-Star'), which teaches hearing parents how to begin two-way communication with their hearing pre-verbal children through the use of Sign Language.

(I wanted to learn German ASL at university, went, however, just two times to the classes - no time to learn this additionally [did the four years of my classes in three].)
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:15 am
Personally, I think that sign language is a beautiful form of communication. People normally use their hands when they talk (Italians) but it always seems so jerky when compared to sign.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:22 pm
Soz......have y'all come up with a name yet?
0 Replies