Plan To Slaughter Horses For Human Consumption Is Met With Distaste

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:27 pm
During the 1930s Depression, my father raise bunny rabbits and chicken to fill our family. I saw him kill the cute rabbits so many times that I could not eat rabbit when I was older. My grandmother showed me how to twist a chicken's neck to death for food. I'm still able to eat chicken, but I still don't eat rabbits. I can eat bunnies if they are candy bunnies. I don't think I could kill a horse to eat. BBB

Plan To Slaughter Horses For Human Consumption Is Met With Distaste
April 18, 2012
by Ted Burnham - NPR

No, that's not beef — it's horse meat, at a butcher shop in France. Horse remains a popular food in many countries, but often makes Americans squeamish.

When the ban on slaughtering horses for human consumption was lifted in the U.S. last November, it was only a matter of time before someone applied to start the practice up again.

That person is Rick De Los Santos, a New Mexico rancher and owner of Valley Meat Co. If the USDA approves his application to have a former beef slaughterhouse inspected, it would allow the first slaughter of horses in the U.S. since 2007.

The meat would be exported to Mexico, one of many countries where eating horsemeat is nothing to flick your tail at. Horse is also eaten frequently in Europe and Asia. And the Canadian grocery chain Metro lists 22 recipes for horse meat on its website.

But Americans are historically averse to eating horses. A notable exception is the Harvard Faculty Club, which served chicken-fried horse meat until 1985. Americans have typically turned to horse consumption only in tough times. When beef rations became scarce during World War II, people turned to horse as a serviceable but inferior alternative. Republicans blamed President Truman for the shortage, labeling him "Horsemeat Harry."

Horse slaughter faces a similar stigma today, even though USDA-regulated facilities might be an improvement over conditions in some of the foreign slaughterhouses to which many American horses are sent now. Opponents say horses are intelligent, beloved companion animals and that slaughtering them for food is inhumane. Groups like PETA acknowledge the suffering of horses slaughtered abroad, but they say the answer is to stop sending horses away to be killed — not to start killing them here.

Ethical appeals are a secondary concern for meat processors like De Los Santos, who see horse slaughter as both legal and profitable. "I'm going to try to do what I need to make a living, and that's not against the law," De Los Santos told the Albuquerque Journal.

But his application already faces opposition from New Mexico's Republican governor and some Democratic officials.

Wyoming-based Unified Equine tried earlier this year to open a horse slaughterhouse near Mountain Grove, Mo., but decided to look elsewhere after running up against community opposition.

Just what does horse meat taste like, anyway? Those who've tried it say it's similar to beef — tender, but leaner and sweeter tasting. Australian blogger The Gourmet Forager attended an epicurean horse meat dinner in 2010. She described the dishes as ranging from "mild" to "gamey," but overall, "surprisingly palatable."

She also compared it to the meat of a certain iconic marsupial, which is harvested in the wild under Aussie government regulation. But so far, nobody's asked for USDA approval to slaughter kangaroo.

PHOTO:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/17/150833468/plan-to-slaughter-horses-for-human-consumption-is-met-with-distaste

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 05:53 pm
To the best of my knowledge, I've never tasted horse meat but I think I'd give it a try if it became commercially available. After all, I've eaten rattlesnake meat and plenty of squirrel pie.

Know what you mean about the bunny rabbits, BBB. When I was maybe three or four years old, we city folks (my parents and I) were visiting my grandparents in the country. They lived on a small farm where dad's dad plied his trade as a cobbler and his mom, my grandma, did some subsistence farming. They had a chicken coop and grandma would go in there every morning to scatter birdseed for the flock. One morning I went with her to "help", wearing only a pair of bathing trunks. The mean old rooster, guarding his harem, apparently didn't like this strange kid coming onto his domain and jumped on my back, scratching me rather badly. I bawled, was comforted by everyone and grandma decided to kill that rooster then and there and cook his carcass up for a chicken fricasse supper.

I was horrified. And mortified. I felt it was all my fault that rooster had been done in because of my bawling. I certainly wouldn't eat any of that fricasse for supper and swore that from that day forth I was going to be vegetarian. (As I recall this resolution might have lasted as much as a whole week. It was cool: grandma also grew some delicious tomatoes and other veggies I could eat to my heart's content. Smile)
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:05 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I think any animal you would consider a pet would be difficult to eat. A pet is usually part of your family so I can see why (even if it would taste good) that considering to eat a horse would not go over so positively.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:17 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I think any animal you would consider a pet would be difficult to eat. A pet is usually part of your family so I can see why (even if it would taste good) that considering to eat a horse would not go over so positively.
Although in the Harper family this wasn't always the case as poor Eunice found out 1 day when her sister Ellen told her about the rabbit.

(move forward to about 4:4o on the video as Ellen explains how Fluffy the rabbit disappeared)

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:23 am
@Sturgis,
yes I remember that one! Loved the ones on the Carol Burnett show where especially was it Harvey Korman or something - couldn't stop laughing due to that little bald guys antics.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:12 am
@Lustig Andrei,
In my child family chicken coop, I had a pet Rhode Island Red chicken called Red. One day, my father killed her for dinner by mistake. I ate her that night's dinner and didn't discover until the next day that my Dad had killed the wrong chicken. He felt bad when he saw my crying.

When my children were going to school near our home, our White Pullet chicken would follow them to school. Each time this happened, the children would have to bring the chicken back home, or if they didn't realise it, the school would call me to come and get the chicken.

This was the same White Pullet who liked our other pets. Each nights, our four dogs would cuddle on their bed in our screened patio. Once they were settled, our two cats would nestle in between the dogs. Finally, our White Pullet would climb up and lay down on the bunch. They all slept snuggling together.

BBB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
"Sauerbraten" (a pot roast, sauer 'sour' i.e. pickled + Braten, roast meat) is a German speciality. The "authentic" Rhenish type of it was/is from horse meat.
In Bavaria, you get the Rosswurst (horse sausage), which is called in the Rhenish region my wife is from just "bratwurst" (but it is smoked) ...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 02:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That being the case, Walter, I might well have eaten horse-flesh (Pferdfleisch) when I was a child as I lived for some five years in Wurtzburg-am-Main which, as you well know, is in the very heart of Bavaria. (I know that we certainly liked Bratwurst)
0 Replies