Why do I think that its good to get children knowing smarter words at such a young age?

Nirobi

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:12 am
If children begin to know words with more intelect, (e.g the maths terms 'multiply by' where as children are taught to say 'times by') then the future generations will be much more intelligent.

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:14 am
@Nirobi,
It is not that simple as an increased vocabulary is only but one part of improving a child's intellect. There are many more aspects...for example, improving memory, using critical thinking, problem solving, increasing math skills, increasing writing-composition skills, planning...and creativity. This is why schools have multiple subjects.

Bigger words are not necessarily smarter words. However, the proper use of them can make a person 'sound' smarter.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:30 am
@Ragman,
Okay, better vocabulary does not make them smarter, but what they've got they're better able to express. Ever read Winnie the Poo?
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:42 am
@roger,
I'm a pooh-less poo-boy!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Okay, better vocabulary does not make them smarter, but what they've got they're better able to express. Ever read Winnie the Poo?

Yes, and as such, they sound better but are not inherently smarter. Larger vocabulary doesn't increase IQ points. All that being said, it is advisable for any child to study vocabulary so that they're more easily understood.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:24 am
@Nirobi,
I agree that enhancing a child's vocabulary at an early age can avoid a host of cognitive problems later on in life. Many parents (and teachers as well!) are reluctant to use "big" words to their children under the often stated assumption that the child "won't understand." Well, of course he/she won't understand until you explain what it means. That's true of all words one hears for the first time.
saab

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:26 am
In Sweden when I went to school we used the word multiplisera (mulitiply) .
The whole thing was called muliplicationstabellen
I haven´t noticed that we are more intellegent than other nations that just say 2times 3.
A friend of ours - a psycholigist - the son got that long word all wrong and told people his father was a psychopath.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:31 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

In Sweden when I went to school we used the word multiplisera (mulitiply) .
The whole thing was called muliplicationstabellen
I haven´t noticed that we are more intellegent than other nations that just say 2times 3.
A friend of ours - a psycholigist - the son got that long word all wrong and told people his father was a psychopath.

But are you sure the child was wrong? Or ignorant of what he was saying? Smile Smile Smile
saab

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:49 am
@Lustig Andrei,
As it was a friend of ours, I would say the kid was wrong and he was only 4. But how can I prove that.

My great aunt was member of a (Danish)Ligbrändingsforening. I was fashinated by the word. It means corpscremationassociation.

You can get in trouble too with short words.
Mås in Swedish is a seagull in Danish it means rear end.
We were in Denmark to a rather formal dinner. The dinner was served on Royal China seagull platters.
I was about 5-6 years old and said out loud enough to be hear over the table.
I really like mås on the table. Very still around the table - till my father explained the language differnces.

http://www.kongeligt.dk/User_files/S/ef7532112946081d0327d70f2510d567.JPG
0 Replies

mayfieldga

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 10:54 pm
@Nirobi,
I see vocabulary as important especially one's social vocabulary. However, I see this as only a part of the need. I feel acquiring social vocabulary is very important for early reading and communication with others adequately. I feel though for this to be effective, it must also be accompanied by lower average stress to learn more easily; more stable supportive environments from parents and others that will enable more interaction and more closeness with parents, teachers, and other knowledgeable persons. I feel our individual environments do create some good things, but for many students some unhealthy things for learning, motivation to learn, and also long-term learning. I feel by understanding how our environments interact with us to create our world, we can all slowly begin to approach our lives more delicately to continually improve learning, motivation, and mental/emotional health. Then we can model and teach those around us how to approach their lives more delicately to continually improve their lives.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:13 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Aye, and you can gain understanding through context. We used to read books, as children, that were over our heads (the classics were all we had, basically) and we'd just get the meaning through the rest of the sentence or paragraph. Not perfect, but sure makes the reading go faster than looking every bloody word up.
0 Replies