What you sow, so shall you reap! (hopefully)

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
Started sowing any seeds yet? Very Happy
I know, I know, the ground is frozen, there is snow lying, but I have started sowing on the window sill in the house -
Dahlias, early peas, and - wait for it - passion fruit and melon! A little ambitious perhaps, and I'm not sure if there will be enough light here in the house, but I am trying to start as early as possible Very Happy

Have you bought any interesting new seeds to try this year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,637 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:18 pm
You can grow passion fruit and melon in Scotland? You are indeed fortunate, Thinkzinc. I recall visiting friends in Aberdeen, and it was already sleeting in early October. Led me to believe that the growing season might be rather short up there.

Anyhow, more to the point: I had great success with Roma tomatoes last summer and plan to grow them again. I sow seeds in peat pots indoors and then plant them in large clay pots on the back deck. Wonderful stuff!
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:24 am
Very Happy I am attempting to grow them. I haven't tried them before. As you say, the growing season is short, hence my attempt to get them started in the house just now Very Happy I'll let you know how it goes - disastrously is probable!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:49 am
ive started my onions , peppers, and parsley in peat pots. I use a grow lux light bar and the seeds respond nicely. we still have about 3 in snow outside but were gonna be in the upper 30s (F) today.

Ive got some new kinds of gourds for bird houses and stuff. im going to grow about an acres worth and then Ill have enough to give to friends and family , just for fun
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:54 pm
Wow! An acre's worth? So you really are a farmer! I wish I had an acre Very Happy
I have been considering buying special indoor lights to bring my plants on. But are they expensive to run? Question
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:07 pm
Mrs. SealPoet is the gardener in this crew. I am the shovel, I dig where I am told.

But what she's (very!) busy growing this season is a new careeer as a Landscape Designer.
0 Replies