New "Oldest" Human Skull

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:21 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/03/oldest.skull/index.html

Carbon testing dates skull found outside Mexico City to about 13,000 years ago - making it the oldest skull found, to date, in the Americas. DNA analysis will be performed on it. The previous "oldest" skull was unearthed in the US at approximately 10,000 years of age.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,576 • Replies: 5
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:33 pm
Whats really intersting about the story is the possible Asian background, and although I dont agree with the authors comments on that issue, it is still an interesting theory-that more than just Native Americans were present in the Americas at the time.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:41 pm
If I remember correctly, one of the first theories about Asian involvment was that people from Asia crossed into the Americas when there was a land bridge over into Alaska, and that they spread southward.

Coming by boat 13,000 years ago? I dunno about that.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:43 pm
Yeah, like I said...I dont agree with the authors comments but, the story is interesting in and of itself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
The concept here is that these old skulls and settlements found in western mexico were of chinese/japanese descent rather than a high altitude/northern eurasian group of nomads. Make sense? All the inhabitants of the americas came from the eurasian continent, but from different parts and at several different times. Some may have come from the micronesian islands... but that's real speculation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:45 pm
I think it could happen. Did it happen? I dunno.
0 Replies