Tillamook Cheese, how low can they go.

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:09 pm
Tillamook Cheese is a pretty well known brand of cheese throughout the country. So well known that they want to try to trademark the name Tillamook. They are sending letters to all other companies within the county of Tillamook Oregon to stop using the name or face a law suite.

What are they going to do next, force the city of Tillimook and the county to change their name?

This ruins my opinion of this company... I will no longer buy Tillimook Cheese.

Click Here for the story

Click here to contact the company.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,366 • Replies: 9
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:22 pm
I live in the Midwest and have never heard of this cheese.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:23 am
I'd be surprised if they won this court battle. What are the origins of the name? Native Indian...
Keep us posted.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:37 am
ceili, Yes, the Tillamook indians were an indian tribe from the NorthWest. I don't know much about them but I think the tribe is extinct.

Which would be one more slap in the face with a corporation trying to trademark a name that belongs to Native American heritage.

This is all I could find on the Tillamook indians:

Click Me
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:41 am
The salish indian origin could throw a wrench in the trade name battle. But then, Mcdonald's took that naming rights away from any other member of their clan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:18 pm
Hmmm, this could be a reason for the tribe to organize..

Tillamook products are sold locally here, but I buy my cheese and butter from a creamery that is more local yet.

This is all a little strange to me. I would think that other Tillamook products being out on display to people in stores would only enhance name recognition for the Tillamook area and hence the Tillamook cheese and butter - as long as it wasn't a second company selling cheese and butter by that name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:23 pm
Hmmm, this could be a reason for the tribe to organize..

Tillamook products are sold locally here, but I buy my cheese and butter from a creamery that is more local yet.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
This is a letter that I got back from Tillimook Cheese explaining their side of the story after I expressed my dissatidsfaction in a letter to the company:

Thank you for your comments, Mr. Masters. It's disappointing to hear from a loyal customer that you're disturbed by news reports that have portrayed us as bullies browbeating businesses that use Tillamook in their names. Such behavior would be completely contrary to the century-old values of our early founders ­ integrity, honesty, respect for people and common sense.

We did not sue or threaten anyone with litigation. Only once has a trademark-related issue led us to litigation. In that case, Tillamook Country Smoker (TCS), a Tillamook company that makes and distributes smoked meat products, has sued us over a trademark dispute. Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) raised concerns about potential infringement in 2000, when TCS sought trademark protection for the name Tillamook Jerky.

The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office denied the TCS registration, but TCS continued to use that mark on packaging and on its web site.

A federal court ruled Friday that TCS clearly infringed on Tillamook County Creamery Association's trademark and ordered TCS to change its web site domain name and stop using Tillamook Jerky to identify its products.

Also in Friday's ruling, Judge Michael Mosman allowed TCS to continue using its full name, Tillamook Country Smoker, even though that name infringes on TCCA's trademark because TCCA failed to object to its use sooner.

In effect, the court told TCCA Friday that we were good neighbors who cooperated with the Smoker for too long. Because we sold their products in our Visitors Center and through our catalog, we cannot object to their infringement. It's ironic that we're being portrayed as bullies when the court ruling says our past cooperation with TCS blocks our ability to do anything about their infringement. It's even more ironic because it was TCS that sued Tillamook over the trademark dispute, not the reverse.

We regret that good customers like you consider actions required to protect our trademark to be disappointing. Our trademark rights do not exclude others from using Tillamook as a geographic designation. And many do ­ more than 200 Oregon companies have Tillamook in their business name. We are concerned only when there is some likelihood consumers will be confused by another company's name or label, especially outside the local area. The confusion is evident regarding our products and those made by TCS, among grocery retailers and consumers. But in almost all cases, companies using the name Tillamook are of no concern because they will not create any confusion among customers.

We remain what we've always been ­ a dairy cooperative in a small Oregon coastal community owned by 145 local dairy farmers, many of whom have been part of TCCA for generations. We could not survive in a small community, where we know and deal with our neighbors on a daily basis, if we behaved like bullies.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or if you would like more information about the specifics of the issues that have been inaccurately and unfairly reported in recent news stories.

Sincerely,

Tillamook County Creamery Association
Customer Service
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:53 pm
Aha. Well, thank you for posting that, Rover.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:19 am
Sounds like a reasonable case and business group.
I'll have to search out thier product.
Thanks,
0 Replies