The Parable of the Prodigal son.

8th

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 09:49 am
I've read it a few times but what is the moral or point of it? Is it simple about forgiveness or is it about self-preservation? What?

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:45 am
@8th,
As you are aware, from reading it in Luke chapter 15, it's about the love of a father who knows his child loves him even when the child is headstrong and doing foolish things, and he in turn loves his child.

In the Bible it was being told when bunch of people were upset that hoodlums and common criminals were being allowed to gather in the same place as them and hear someone (Jesus) talk. The law abiders felt that only they should be allowed to hear this great man. (Think of it as a fund raiser dinner for a politician, all the wealthy and fabs come in but they get riled up when they see a homeless person on the corner or near the doorway of the banquet hall).

So Jesus explained that all are equally worthy and loved. He talked about missing sheep and how 1 is as important as the other 99 (which is where the occupy wall street people got the 99% idea, although in reverse order).

The Pharisees weren't about to accept this, so Jesus told them about having 10 coins, losing 1 and searching for it because, yea, verily he said unto they, it too is important. All are important.

Still these la-di-das weren't having it, so Jesus told them about the son. How the son took his inheritance left home spent all the money foolishly and then did odd jobs. He finally returned and planned to beg forgiveness for his foolish ways. His father saw him and hopped into his Hoverround (although it may have been a Rascal scooter) and headed down the road to meet his returning son.

He celebrated the return of the son because he'd thought and believed him gone and that rightly hurt him. Now the lad was back, so they had a great feast, he dressed his son nicely with colorful robes and jewels.

The other son didn't understand all of this and was madder than the dickens. He was seeing red! His father explained how valued both his children were.

Since it's a parable, it may have to do with Jesus explaining how all people are loved equally by God and when one strays a bit, God still loves them and awaits their return.

It is essentially a tale about forgiveness. All are of equal value and of equal importance and all will be forgiven if forgiveness is asked for.

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:57 pm
Nice interpretation and summary, Sturgis.

Joe(really)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 01:31 am
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 05:09 am
@Setanta,
I see this parable as a story that justifioes what the Smuthers Brothers said"Dad always liked you better"
(actually they said Mom but this is a dramatization)

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 02:07 pm
@farmerman,
I can smell where yer comin' from . . . the eldest son hadda be really pissed . . .
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 02:22 pm
@8th,
I love this story. There are many good points. One of my favorites is the first interaction between father and prodigal. The son is all feeling bad and stuff and says something like, "Sorry dad, I did this and this and that and that." The dad acts like he didn't even say anything! He is just so full of love and happiness that he acts like nothing ever happened and starts getting ready to party. I love it!
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:50 am
@Sturgis,
Thank that was helpful. I have one major curiosity though...I thought that the father was merely being merry with his youngest son due to the hopes of future kin since it was said that the oldest had not bared the father kin.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
@8th,
It has nothing to do with whether either child gave him a grandchild, in fact I don't recall the mention of offspring from either son even being mentioned in the biblical tale.
In summation the older man tells his eldest son who is disgruntled about the younger son:
'he was dead he is now alive, he was lost and now he is found'
8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:10 am
@Sturgis,
"And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment; and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might take merry with my friends: But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf." -Luke 15:11-32

What to do, what to do? When I read this I saw a sense of self-preservation from the father. I want to elaborate on this.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:41 am
@8th,
All that is being said is that the younger son, was out doing things which were naughty, he was being a bad person in his daily life, drinking, having unprotected sex with all sorts of women, possibly even with married women, and his father thought his son was either gone for good and would never return or was perhaps even dead.

The father, saw his son one day approaching and raced out to greet him. He was thrilled to have his son back, he didn't care what the lad had done or if he was fornicating with various persons or if he'd brought back a wife or children or if he'd had a vasectomy, all he saw was he beloved second son, finally returned and this called for a grand celebration.

The older son...we'll call him was mad mad mad! Why here he had been keeping the crops growing, keeping the Phoenicians away keeping the sheep and cows fed and fattened up for their trip to the markets, yet the father had never given him a party. The older son didn't understand a father's love for his children, no matter what they do and the father had to explain it to him.

We don't know what happened after all this, and it doesn't matter, since the tale is about forgiveness and full everabiding love. As I indicated earlier, it may be, a parable being told to indicate how much Abba (another name for God) loves all His children, even those who do wrong if they realize the error of their ways and seek forgiveness, which is what the prodigal son did.

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 11:05 am
Quote:
and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might take merry with my friends:
That would be a kid who was a young goat.... .

Joe(not the grandson kind)Nation
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Oh, you big Kidder, said Margoat!
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:40 pm
@Sturgis,
okay, thank tou sturgis
0 Replies