NYC Dept. of Education seeks to ban 50 words

Linkat

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 08:57 pm
@Sturgis,
well she has over 100% average in science right now - she tends to get lots of extra credit. Her science teacher loves her.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 05:46 am
@Sturgis,
i though the name of the mayoress was bloomberg?, michele bloomberg if i'm not wrong
Sturgis

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 10:51 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i though the name of the mayoress was bloomberg?, michele bloomberg if i'm not wrong

You asked what the lady mayoress would be wanting when she has children. Since Michael Bloomberg the current Czar...er, Mayor is male that ruled him out. His wife was Susan, his latest known girlfriend is Diana Taylor, his daughters are Emma and Georgina.

The current City Council Speaker who is expected to run for Mayor next year, and has a strong chance of winning, Councilwoman Christine Quinn is planning to wed her girlfriend Kim in May of this year. No word on weather or not they plan to have children. Yes, lesbians do have children, and not just by adoption.

Christine and Kim (Christine is the redhaired one)

http://www.badgesociety.com/news_main/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/quinn-catullo.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 05:49 am
Breaking news is that the ban has been revoked.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/02/nyc-schools-drops-list-of_1_n_1398546.html
Quote:

New York City Schools Ban On Words For Standardized Tests Revoked

NEW YORK -- New York City's Department of Education has decided to drop its list of words to avoid on school assessment tests.

Companies that want to come up with school tests used to measure student progress were being advised to stay away from a range of topics in the questions they put together. On the list of subjects to avoid were creatures from outer space, junk food, vermin and birthdays.

The Department of Education had said the list was a recommendation, not a ban, and was meant to make sure tests don't contain any biases or subjects that could distract the students.

The department on Monday released a statement saying it will "continue to advise companies to be sensitive to student backgrounds." It says the decision to drop the list of words was made after "the reaction from parents".

More: http://www.nytimes.com/schoolbook/2012/04/02/city-revokes-testing-word-ban/
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 05:58 am
@Sturgis,
well you learn something new everyday, my main news source (the opie & anthony show) constantly refers to the mayor as she, when discussing her (his?) policies
Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:14 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
well you learn something new everyday, my main news source (the opie & anthony show) constantly refers to the mayor as she, when discussing her (his?) policies
The mayor is biologically said to be a man. Opie and Anthony are constantly pushing the envelope with their brand of humor. Their citing the mayor as female is part of their act, possibly aimed at Bloomberg's occasionally prissy attitude/reaction towards things.
djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:17 am
@Sturgis,
i know, i've just been messin' around
0 Replies