Store Worker Finds Box of Human Skulls

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:18 pm
Quote:

By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, AP

BROOK PARK, Ohio (Feb. 6) - Human skulls encased in ceramic have been found among clay pots, baseballs and other items purchased at auction by an Ohio discount store chain.

The trail of the 12 skulls has led to Florida and Peru.

A warehouse employee of the Marc's chain found them while looking through a box purchased at auction Jan. 15 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. A figurine fell and broke, disclosing a skull enshrouded in ceramic.

The box was among items that had been abandoned at a customs inspection point. It was shipped by air last May from Lima, Peru, to someone in Miami, apparently meant as a gift, according to Cherise Miles, a spokeswoman for the customs agency.

The name of the intended recipient was being withheld pending the investigation.

As for the sender, "We don't know if the person actually knew there were skulls," Miles said. That was under investigation, along with other unanswered questions about the origin of the skulls.

None had any sign of violence or injuries, according to assistant Cuyahoga County Coroner Heather Raaf, and some may have been buried at some point.

At the time of the Jan. 30 discovery, the ceramic items were at least one week away from making the shelves at Marc's, a northeast Ohio chain of discount stores where closeouts and low prices are favored over shopper comforts.

Marc's regularly stocks items purchased at auction, including those attended by owner Marc Glassman, said Debbie List, administrative assistant at the chain. "He attends auctions all the time, everywhere," she said.

Finding a ceramic item shaped like a head might not prompt a second glance at Marc's, where you can find men's underwear at the end of the frozen foods, flea collars hanging next to California wines and a chest-high display of unwrapped dog chews. Over in the corner, tropical birds squawk from a room-sized cage.

Police in Brook Park, a working-class Cleveland suburb, released photos of one of the ceramic-encased skulls. It resembled a head with a biker's tightly fitting helmet and wide purple bands down the sides of the face, lips pursed closed.

The skulls include at least one of a child and showed evidence of bindings, according to Raaf. The dried-out look indicated the skulls were aged, possibly for many years.

Investigators wouldn't say whether they were looking into possession of the skulls as a crime.

The coroner asked an anthropologist, Bruce Latimer of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, to inspect the skulls. He was directed by authorities to withhold public comment, museum spokeswoman Gail Takacs said Friday.

The Peruvian embassy in Washington, D.C., didn't respond to a request for comment on the discovery.

Amazing what you can find at the discount stores
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,703 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:22 pm
where do you get this stuff, q?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:24 pm
I have a special wierd news spot...it cracks me up....just want to share Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:30 pm
it's defiitely good stuff.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:32 pm
thankee ma'am

I do my bestest

Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:36 pm
growing up in the port city of hamburg/germany "some years ago", i and my school-chums would often go window-shopping at the stores along the harbour-front on our way home from school. we were often fascinated to see the "shrunken human heads" that had been brought back from the south seas by sailors returning home and were prominently displayed in the shop-windows. usually the sailors were broke quickly after arriving back in port (done in by "wine, women and song" - not necessarily in that order) and they would sell all kinds of stuff to the local shopkeepers. haven't seen any shrunken heads on our more recent visits to that fine city. hbg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:37 pm
That would be a more interesting day at work than I normally have.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:41 pm
hbg-how very interesting!
I just saw a documentary on the tribe in South America that used to do head shrinking, very intersting stuff. Seems its not practiced even by traditional standards any longer so, that could explain the lack of any around and about to gawk at in the windows.
This is what happens when you kill off or befriend all your enemies...no more great window shopping Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:42 pm
how does the shrunken head thing work anyway? Do they take the face off the skull?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:52 pm
http://www.ci.riverside.ca.us/museum/exhibit/jivaro1.htm#j4

Quote:
Shrinking the head is a lengthy process, requiring several hours. A slit is made in the back of the head, the skull removed and the skin scraped free of flesh. The eyes and lips are sewn shut. It is then cooked in an herbal solution for about two hours until shrunk to about 1/3 normal size. This also prevents the hair from falling out. After it is cooled the back of the neck is sewn and the cavity is successively filled with hot stones and sand to complete the shrinking process. The head is then hung over a smoldering fire overnight which turns the color from yellowish to black. It is then polished with ash and made ready for the tsanta rituals on entering the village.

The head of a victim is usually shrunk as soon as the raiding party achieves a safe distance from the victim's village. It is a dangerous business, since the party is on the run from the enemy. Once the heads are prepared a warrior is sent to inform the village and preparations are made for the tsanta feasts and rituals. The men enter the village with the shrunken heads tied around their necks. Women prepare bowls of blood and black paint to be applied to the left leg of each warrior who had taken a head. Later blood is smeared on the warrior's body, as a symbol those he has killed, and then the tsanta rituals begin.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:55 pm
They sure know how to party!

Q, you are a font of info tonight!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:59 pm
plethera of knowledge, yes

wont keep up this charade much longer Wink
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:59 pm
Re: Store Worker Finds Box of Human Skulls
quinn1 wrote:

It was shipped by air last May from Lima, Peru, to someone in Miami, apparently meant as a gift, according to Cherise Miles, a spokeswoman for the customs agency.

That's some gift... Shocked
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:02 pm
yeah..that Aunt Louise--she's a character Wink
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:03 pm
Very interesting!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:13 pm
dang, I ust thought of something..Portal Star has some odd goings on with some pottery

Teeth chattering from skulls perhaps ?

If they were bought in a store...Id be a little leary
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:53 pm
if one were interested in one of these things, where in the store would one look?
Notions?
Headache remedies?
Crafts?

These questions need to be answered
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:18 am
Quote:
Finding a ceramic item shaped like a head might not prompt a second glance at Marc's, where you can find men's underwear at the end of the frozen foods, flea collars hanging next to California wines and a chest-high display of unwrapped dog chews. Over in the corner, tropical birds squawk from a room-sized cage.

My guess is between the live birds and the mens underware
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:59 pm
In the electronics section with the VCRs....right next to "head cleaners."

Wink
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 01:19 pm
hamburger wrote:
growing up in the port city of hamburg/germany "some years ago", i and my school-chums would often go window-shopping at the stores along the harbour-front on our way home from school. we were often fascinated to see the "shrunken human heads" that had been brought back from the south seas by sailors

I would buy one, for the novelty aspect.
0 Replies