longest dialup session.

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:07 am
My new ISP has "soft session limits". Which means that while they have a 4 hour session limit, they don't knock you offline after 4 hours until all their resources are full. The friend who recommended this service to me had only been dumped once in 18 months.
Generally once I connect, the computer stays on until such time as the session ends. At the time of this posting my current session has been going for just under 79 hours. The longest I've managed so far is 107 hours. Anyone know the longest they've been able to maintain a connection with the use of just one phone call? (We obviously don't have timed calls here)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:16 am
I've been on broadband for so long, I don't even remember the last time I dialed up. But since we shared the internet with the house phone, we didn't stay online very long. Longest would be about eight hours overnight, plus whatever the 'lead in' to that was. So probably not more than 12 hours.

But I can tell you I've got a laptop on my desk sitting there pumping out SetiAtHome results, and has so far taken up 1163:10:00 of processor time, with about 106:37:21 in System Idle Time.

I installed a small piece of software to tell me how long the system has been up, and it's telling me now 75 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes 30 seconds.

But I dont' suppose that counts as what you're asking for, does it?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:43 am
That's a long session.

Since I work during the day, most calls I have to make I do so from work. For the rest of the time I've got the mobile.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:49 am
I can remember staying online overnight, maybe 12-15 hours at a time. I had AOL at the time with unlimited sessions. Now that I have cable, I no longer tie up the phone line.
0 Replies