How does one 'praise' god?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@demonhunter,
...on that account how is it that evil shall be purged from the face of the earth ? Are we washed away with the storm ? hmmm, I am starting to fear for my future ! Can´t God be merciful and just let a little bit of evil in his creation ?
...just small things like humour alcohol n stuff...please intercede for us because you are a good person with a great heart I´m sure n ask god for forgiveness in our name...tell him stuff like those poor folks don´t have a clue on what they are saying Goshfather give them a break !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:08 am

0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:09 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't know man, you are asking the wrong dude.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:26 pm
@djjd62,
Ha!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i tend to ask myself, WWDJJD62D, and then do the exact opposite

join the crowd
0 Replies

bulldogcoma

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I suppose the best way is to appreciate the magnificence of the world and use such appreciation as a catalyst for right action.
0 Replies

1Prince

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 07:53 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Ok, so your notion of praise is just to live by the values the lord has set out in order to please and respect him. Fostering his values within your heart etc.

Somewhat. The whole idea is to serve the Lord. Everyone. As the Lord has said; "Serve the Lord with reverence and rejoice before Him".

"My chosen ones shall inherit the land , my servants shall remain there."

" When a man reveres the Lord, He will teach him the way he should choose. He will abide in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the land. The friendship of the Lord is with those who revere him, and he makes his covenant known to them."

" The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him incurs guilt".

My teaching is not my own it comes from the One who sent me. I came down from heaven to do His will not my own.
Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching, namely, whether it comes from God or whether I‘m speaking on my own.
Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no dishonesty in his heart.

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 07:58 pm
@1Prince,
Quote:
" When a man reveres the Lord, He will teach him the way he should choose. He will abide in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the land. The friendship of the Lord is with those who revere him, and he makes his covenant known to them."

One big problem, Prince, that's not ever been the case.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 08:03 pm
@JTT,
...at the rate mankind keeps growing very soon we will inherit a closet at best...
0 Replies

amannucci

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:07 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
In my view, one praises god by being open to the wonder of this world, and by being thankful for one's blessings. This is a positive state of mind, a state receptive to spiritual renewal. Praise be to god.

0 Replies

1Prince

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:53 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
One big problem, Prince, that's not ever been the case.

Its there ,dig deeper in the word.

The Lord says this;

"The man who wants to come to me will hear my words and put them into use."

"My words are life to those who find them, to mans whole being they are health."

"Depart from evil, and do good; so you shall abide forever. For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones. The righteous shall be kept safe forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off. The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever. The just mans mouth speaks wisdom, and their tongues speak what is right. The law of their God is in their hearts; their steps do not stumble."

"Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him. Let all the upright of heart glory in Him."

"The righteous will shine like the son in the kingdom of their heavenly Father."

"The Lord is righteous and He loves righteous works."

The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works".

Be holy as I am holy says the Lord.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
I can't resist -

To praise the lord, one passes the ammunition, or so it has often seemed with many religions' followers - even though I know the words don't actually say that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praise_the_Lord_and_Pass_the_Ammunition

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" is an American patriotic song written by Frank Loesser and published as sheet music in 1942 by Famous Music Corp. The song was a response to the attack on Pearl Harbor that marked United States involvement in World War II.
The song describes a chaplain ("sky pilot") being with some fighting men who are under attack from an enemy. He is asked to say a prayer for the men who were engaged in firing at the oncoming planes. The chaplain puts down his Bible, mans one of the ship's gun turrets and begins firing back, saying, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition".

~~~

I used to be religious, and, while it was a long time ago, my memory is that, as a '50's catholic, I learned of god as a trinity. I had less of a sense of praising what I knew of the biblical god the father (looking back, I really had no connection to what I had been taught), and I never quite got the holy ghost, but I did admire god the son, Jesus: prayed to him and thought very well of him, which I think is a kind of praising.

I know more than I did then about a lot of religions and their adherents, including that not all adherents of even one religion are the same. I think 'praising' - other than repeating known and rote phrasing - would be different for individuals, in their thoughts, in their meditations.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I can't resist either. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do appreciate Jesus' teachings, but not the Christ (i.e., Paul's) icon.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm
@1Prince,
You shot off the issue, Prince.

Quote:
The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever.

This has never happened and it never will.
1Prince

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:24 pm
@JTT,
The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever.

Quote:
JTT Wrote; You shot off the issue, Prince.
This has never happened and it never will.

Not really. Its all part of praise. That verse is much deeper than people realize. Scripture says who can hear the word of the Lord. It is not for the wicked to hear but the righteous only. The Lord blinds the wicked and dulls their ears so they look but cannot see, listen but cannot hear unless they repent and come to me and be healed.
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:35 pm
@1Prince,
Quote:
That verse is much deeper than people realize.

Oh, I realize that happens. There are all manner of snake oil salesmen, like Pat Robertson, Gerry Falwell, etc. who make a great pretense of having a deeper "understanding" of the words.

It's all just a steaming load of bullcrap.
0 Replies