Cat ferociously licks lips

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:21 pm
When I scratch my cat's back in the area closest to the tail, she starts trurning her head around and madly licking her lips. Her tongue goes crazy, but it's only at the very end of her back.. Is she in pain? What's going on back there? Should I get her to a vet? Ever had that happen to you, or your cat? I'm worried for her health because it's near the spot where she had a cyst removed earlier this year..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,307 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:22 pm
Sorry I can't help you, but I want to listen in. I'd say, though, that calling your vet may be a good idea.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:43 pm
Lenny B

Strange behaviour. I agree with littlek. Best to visit the vet.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:29 pm
Don't have a cat -- have a golden retriever. But this golden is extrememly sensitive in the area you describe. She loves to be scratched there and it always results in what we refer to as her 'tushy dance' wherein both rear feet move in quick little jerky steps. She loves it so much that if anyone pets her while in a standing position she will promptly force herself between the petter's legs and stop in precisely the proper spot for them to scratch her behind. Also, while this area is being scratched her head is stretched upward and her eyes frequently close. She also offers her tushy for scratching to us when seated, as opposed to her head.

Now, since your cat did have the cyst in that area, it may be that the particular area (scar tissue) has become very sensitive and your scratching might be causing a reaction similar to the one our dog gets (I suspect it's sort of like the feeling a person gets if someone gently touches a sensitive area like the nape of the neck or the bottom of the foot -- sort of good, maybe causing chills, but maybe you can't stand it).

If the cat is not running away from this, I would think it might be that it actually feels kind of good (pain would no doubt result either in the cat's leaving or attacking). However, for saftey's sake, perhaps you should check with the vet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:21 pm
I would check with the vet mostly due to previous condition.
I have a cat who is a bit crazy about that spot but, not quite what you are describing and if it causees you to question, at least a call to the vet could help.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:28 pm
I agree - see the vet - and stop flirting with your cat, cos that is a very sexually responsive area for them!

If she has not always reacted quite like this, it could be the cyst surgery has altered the nerve impulses a bit.

Get it checked out.
0 Replies