Scanner (and Electronics & Warranties)

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:05 pm
I have to buy a scanner due to a work issue, however there is also the possibility of getting more work in the future so, although I can go out and get any scanner and do the job well enough, should I get a better one? The prices are so low now that I really cant not buy one.
I have put off buying one waiting for prices on what I want to come down and allow me to do what/how I want with one, not to just have one. I really have wanted higher resolution and 4x5 transparancy scanning along with negative scanning, and the last few years the only comparative option for that was to purchase those seperately. I figured they would get to this point soon enough, and it seems they have.
One concern though, since they are so affordable now, I buy this one and in a couple years, have to buy another? Like anything else electronic it seems lately they really are more throw away than long term.
One Im considering that actually has what I would like is 180.00....do I even bother to get a warranty past the standard 1 year? If Im going to buy one that affordable, should I just buy a cheaper one and throw it away when I want a newer/better one? If I dont get the extended warranty...arent I doing that anyway?
Im just looking for the thoughts of others while I browse through all kinds of information.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,525 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:08 pm
Depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it for the web high resolutions can be useless. For most people an average scanner will suffice and if a high resolution is needed they can go to Kinkos (do they still ahve that there) and get it scanned.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:16 pm
Ah, sorry to leave out important information.
Photographer.
Will be doing things like restoration for the time being.
Of course...there are a great deal of scanners I would really like however..Im practical, I aint buyin one of those Smile
I always wanted to scan my photos, negs, transparancies...thats why Ive put off for so long buying two units that I figured technology would catch up with and make me a happier camper.
I can go to the lab and have things scanned but, it would be easier for me just to do it myself with what spare time I have for the time being.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:19 pm
So I'd say you need a good resolution. I had one that did slides negatives and all that till a few weeks ago, I sold it for a song (offkey) and already miss it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:26 pm
4800x2400dpi I think is great for a consumer model, and workable for me at this point.
I think if I had one with Slide/neg capability it would become one of my prized possessions...HOW COULD YOU? Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:30 pm
I'm selling everything. Even me beloved computers.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:31 pm
sad..so sad
understandable though
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:43 pm
I know very little about the subject, but I have a scanner that would have cost just $60 had I had to buy it (it was free when I bought an HP printer about a year or so ago). I've used this cheap little scanner to scan in all sorts of photos and discovered that despite it's cheapness, it works great. If the photos are high quality to begin with (i.e. 35 mm), the end result as printed out on my not-so-expensive HP photo printer are every bit as good. The young woman who works for us had never had prints made from her wedding proofs so she brought them in and I scanned them in and made her 8 x 10's and 5 x 7's for all her relatives that looked terrific. Black and white photos also scan in great (even old ones).

Now, I've only used 600 dpi on these and they still look great -- with the resolution you're talking about, I'm sure it would be even better.
Oh, and I forgot -- I almost never buy extended warranties cause they cost more than it would cost to replace the same product in two years or so (I've actually seen that on tv, with the possible exception of cars).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:53 pm
hi bandylu...okay first
OHMYGOSH...the whole scanning in the pictures thing....
I never heard that....Im oblivious to the copywrite infringement, loss of funds due the photographer, etc....really, I know nothing

I feel like Ive been kicked however....
kidding
I know, it happens all the time, and as long as it has nothing to do with me or mine...I know nothing

now...
The warranty for this particular item is a replacement warranty for 25.00 for 1 year, which means if anything goes wrong..I go back to the store and geet a new one. Since this involves work, it might be a good investment. Since its so little, I cant actually go too wrong, I think.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:30 pm
Do you mean I was actually infringing here, quinn? Never even thought of that. I mean, she bought the proofs so they belonged to her. Never thought that maybe they really belonged to the photographer. Now you've made me feel sooooo guilty. How about when you used to get a school photo and you sent it away and had wallets made for all the relatives -- was the infringing on copyright, too? Geez, I've been breaking the law for years and didn't even know it.

$25 is cheap. If that's the case, it's probably worth the peace of mind.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:39 pm
If she bought the proofs outright there is the possibility that the photographer would relinquish copywrite, however most professional images will have a copywrite on them, today they are generally printed on the back.
Dont feel bad, its common, unfortunately, and only in recent years have people been made more aware of it.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:45 pm
Well there was nothing on the back (I know cause I saw all the backs as I was scanning), so I feel a little better. And, anyway, it took the same photographer over a year to finish her video (which is one reason she didn't order prints from him).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
a year to finish the video...wow, thats interesting.
Still..I know nothing Smile
0 Replies