Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:59 pm
So what will happen if my dream comes true? 'scuse moi! I didn't tell ya, but I want to open a bar/restaurant-kind-a -you know "the best place on earth place". I just made an offer this week for a bar with a friend of mine, and I pray to gosh this will happen...! It will mean a shitload of work(which I'm used to), but this time it'll be for me... and my partner, of course!

As I write this I'm not only tired, but also almost drunk senseless, and I would very much like to hear your suggestions to make our bar the best possible! Drunk

It's not fer sure yet, but I'd love to have this place!

Will post pics in future...

bd67
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,134 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:23 pm
First, naked men would work, no cover charge, ladies drink free ~ live music too!

I wish you tons of luck in your new venture BD, I know it will be successful, cuz you have the personality and charm, and wit, of course!

Smooches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:26 pm
Yippee Big Dice! I'm crossing fingers and toes for you!

Actually, Misti is on to something there. If you can get the wimmins in, the men will follow. Or at least that's the theory on this side of the Atlantic.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:01 pm
Don't forget decor - you'd be amazed at how much decor influences the kind of people who come in. Figure out your target market, then target the design to them (and for piss sakes make sure you maintain the restrooms nicely!)

A local bar down the street was kinda run down - it got a makeover, inside & out (paint, new sign, porch, fans, really clean) and now they're banking it because all the frats & sororities started going there (it is located near them, but they didn't go before.) They also started offering "games" like, if you go there to watch a football game, and the team you pick scores, you get a free pint after the first pint you've purchaced. This makes people really energetic about the game & adds to the fun.

I prefer smoking be done outside (on a heated/cooled porch) or that there is a really good ventillation system (especially if you also plan to serve food.)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:09 pm
I's thinking about deco the other night... but then I realized that we have a lot of huge windows facing the lake.. and the alps... screw the deco!

We have half of the swiss alps, and a lot of austrian alps in front of us, plus the Lake of Constance! And a big beergarden!

Just pray our offer wasn't to low...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:12 pm
I am absolutely confident you and Urs can succeed at anything you put your talents to.

And hey, you have the Swiss and Bavarian Alps. This is like selling beer next to a lake in Texas in the summertime. How could it miss?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
It can't, roge, it can't.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:17 pm
Cool. I hope you get the bar and if you do... I will personally make sure next time I'm in Europe, I come to this place! Sounds fantastic... I love views of mountains and water.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:18 pm
You gonna need a roomfull of loveable, but believable, characters.....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6302869420.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:53 pm
The most important facet of your bar is to make sure that people know it's there when they drive by. There's nothing worse than a bar that doesn't look like a bar.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:54 pm
bigdice67 wrote:
I's thinking about deco the other night... but then I realized that we have a lot of huge windows facing the lake.. and the alps... screw the deco!

We have half of the swiss alps, and a lot of austrian alps in front of us, plus the Lake of Constance! And a big beergarden!

Just pray our offer wasn't to low...

Cool. If you get it and post pictures, I will be glad to give you free decor tips (I specialize in the arts & watch too much HGTV).

The view sounds beautiful.

I'm guessing a lot of knotty well-finished natural wood would look good, because wood feels warm (and the alps are cold!)

A vell -ventillated fireplace could also be a nice option Smile.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
Bigdice, this is great. I hope the offer goes through.

Service is very important. You can buy the same bottle of beer anywhere in town, but people come back if the service is good.
Any monkey can pour a beer, but you'll want people with a personality.
If people have a full belly they'll drink more.
Entertainers can hold a crowd.
Know your audience, choose your clientele, your market and cater to them.
Be consistant, competive and remember the reason you got into the industry was to have fun.

Good Luck
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:19 pm
Misti26 wrote:
First, naked men would work, no cover charge, ladies drink free ~ live music too!

I wish you tons of luck in your new venture BD, I know it will be successful, cuz you have the personality and charm, and wit, of course!

Smooches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna say topless or scantily clad waitresses.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:30 pm
Re: My Bar.
bigdice67 wrote:

As I write this I'm not only tired, but also almost drunk senseless Drunk
bd67

don't be your best customer Smile
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:18 am
I hope you didn't make the offer while drunk
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:56 am
Thanks for your encouragement, friends!

I know fer sure that with my service and my partner's cocktails, we just can't go wrong, sounds cocky, but it's very close to the truth!

I'd love to have a fire-place too, but there is no possibilty for that. You see, this place used to be the railway-station pub, so we have a building that not really new, and also not ancient, from the outside it's 1930's form-follows-function.

The building is still owned by Deutsche Bahn (German RR), so the rent is dirtcheap, for which we're verra verra happy. It gives us financial room to add our touch to the whole deal.

It's been an "in"bar for the last 7yrs, and the guy has done a good job so far. But we need to re-decorate the whole place inside (colorscheme, chairs, tables, the bar...) and our beergarden that seats 100, at least! Did I tell you we have a gorgeous view? Between us and the lake there's only a street and the yachtclub! 50 feet, tops!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:58 am
BTW, as a professional-- I don't drink when I'm working... That's a one-way trip to alcoholism! Seen that happen too often.

But a beer or two after business? Why not?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:06 am
Webcam in Ueberlingen
Panoramic Pictures of Ueberlingen
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:08 am
It sounds great, bigdice! Keep us posted. Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:34 am
Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap, and they will come.
0 Replies