The Netherlands: gone crazy, or rational thinking?

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
As some of you know, I guess, the Netherlands is a sort of ehm highly progressive country, to put it that way. (Soft) drugs are a common picture in the streets (though the number of people using it is lower than most European countries), there is "legal" ("gedoogde" for the Dutch people) prostitution to some extent, laws concerning mercy killing, abortion and gay marriage - all legal. There are people against it, and people who are really enthusiastic about it. There are many people from the religious part of our society who object to many laws - no gay marriage for example, for marriage is a sacred thing between a MAN and a WOMAN, not between a MAN and a MAN, or a WOMAN and a WOMAN - they tell me; mercy killing: no, they say, for who are we to kill (like they call it) other people - same thing with abortion.
People who are supporting all these laws say that these things are very good for our Western society - we need it! Face it, they say: there are a lot of gay people in the West - 1 in 10 - and they can have the need to marry - why should we forbid that? We are all equal, right? Drugs: a good thing, there is no ban on cigarettes so why on drugs? Abortion: in our Western society you have to do what is best for yourself - when you are pregnant but you are still in school or working on a career, why should a child stop all this? And so on, and so on... Because these opinions are so widely scattered, and all have - sort of - sense, I want to hear from you all how you think about these "Dutch" laws (they are not really Dutch of course, but you know what I mean)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,521 • Replies: 30
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 02:59 pm
I've been there a couple of times, and it may be the most civilized and humane country I've ever been to. Love the Netherlands, love the prevailing attitudes -- though there may be some change in the winds, I hear...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:40 pm
Well, you forgot to menntion, Rick d'Israeli, that under Dutch law fireworks can only be sold to the public during the three days leading up to the New Year, that the Dutch law on firearms is as restrictive as elsewhere in the EU, that there is no capital punishment in The Netherlands, that they have a queen ...
Crazy? Rational thinking? :wink:

Oh, and welcome here on A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:47 pm
That's the way they do things in the Netherlands. Full stop. It doesn't mean that any other country has to place 'catch-up' by passing similiar laws. Bottom line is that decriminalising pot-smoking, prostitution or homosexuality is not the same as encouraging them by the state. The Dutch are more pragmatic about it and pick up the savings by not arresting and prosecuting such activities.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:48 pm
Uhm, you won't see people smoking weed in the streets in netherlands. that is prohibited. you must do it in the coffeeshops or at home. prostitution? at least it is regulated, and most of those women and men get counseling and basic health care. that's more than many millions of americans without any health care can say.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:51 am
re prostitution:

it's a normal job with insurance, health care, taxes etc here in Germany as well - well, could be, since most still don't do such.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:17 pm
Thank you all for your responses, and for welcoming me here. I'm glad to hear such responses, cause I feel the same way about it - I'm Dutch myself you know. I had some 'clashes' with other people about these subjects, so I thought I just ask your opinion. It's nice to hear we Dutchies are not alone in our opinion!
Interesting fact: there was an inquiry here in the Netherlands, and people were asked 'What makes you feel proud as Dutchman?' Gay marriage was I think most listed, up to 70%, but also our tolerance - although that has changed a little bit the last two years -, and drugs policy were seen as something 'Dutch' and - mostly - to be proud of as a Dutchman.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
You've got good falafel, but you've really gotta do something about the mayonnaise on the potatoes. I mean, seriously... Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:42 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
I'm glad to hear such responses, cause I feel the same way about it - I'm Dutch myself you know. I had some 'clashes' with other people about these subjects, so I thought I just ask your opinion. It's nice to hear we Dutchies are not alone in our opinion!
Quote:

Well, besides the some, who know the Netherlands from travelling (and additionally, in my case, from relatives/friends), others here are "well educated" by our (few, I admit) Dutch members (like nimh, D1Doris, Katya8) :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:48 pm
nimh is trully an excellent emissary. Thoughtful, well-read, well-written, funny, appreciative, a little odd...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:49 pm
(which is not to say the mr. d'israeli is not...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:19 pm
patiodog wrote:
You should 'listen' to the girls, patiodog, especially re "funny" Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:20 pm
(They certainly are "excellent emissaries, thoughtful, well-read, well-written, funny, appreciative .." as well Laughing )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:49 pm
QUESTION:

The Netherlands: gone crazy, or rational thinking.

RESPONSE:

In my opinion -- very, very rational thinking.

Too bad it is not extremely contagious.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:21 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
patiodog wrote:
You should 'listen' to the girls, patiodog, especially re "funny" Laughing

I'd be glad to, but I don't think I've ever come across either of 'em!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:25 pm
nothing wrong with mayo or potatoes. ever.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:36 pm
Ketchup, cheese, sour cream, butter, mustard -- all acceptable. Just not mayo. Ugh...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
patiodog : i wouldn't suggest KRAFT MAYO with DUTCH french-fries, but give me some "sharpish" mayo and i'm all for it ! we can buy HORSERADISH mayo here - haven't seen it stateside yet - and i really like the stuff, with hard-boiled eggs, cold meat, bratwurst, fish ... hmmm, yummy ! hbg ... (makes your eyes water and clears your sinuses in a hurry !)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
And me, I'd say, y'ever made your own? Good olive oil and fresh free range (etc) eggs? There's mayo and mayo.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
That's funny PDog, the first time I ever saw mayo and fries was in the States. I remember asking for ketchup in England, at a fish and chip stand, and having to explain that is was like tomato sauce. They all thought I was mad.

Welcome Rick...
0 Replies