Playlist for 5th-grade Valentine's Day Party

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:57 am
@engineer,
Aw, thanks! Smile

I went ahead and plugged in the Bruno Mars, just in terms of the length of the party it will probably end before the Outfield song, but if things go long I'll have that one more. It's not AWFUL just kinda hmmm.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:04 am
@engineer,
As an aside, I used to scoff at the "Kidz Bop" commercials but now that the kid is getting into current pop I understand the need for it. There are some great pop/rap songs that have lyrics that are just WHOA. (She often likes the music while the lyrics annoy her a lot. She's getting better at tuning that out, still shocks me a bit when I go and look up lyrics. I keep finding myself having major old fuddy duddy responses. "Seriously? They just play that on the radio? Good grief.")

(That said, I think the video for "Sexy and I Know It" is hilarious.)
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:14 am
@sozobe,
i used to laugh when the radio played that third eye blind song, semi-charmed life, most folks and commercial radio just glossed over these lyrics

She comes round and she goes down on me
And I make her smile
It's like a drug for you
Do ever what you want to do
Coming over you

interesting that some radio did make one edit, the reference to crystal meth in the second verse

Radio edits
Released on the single were a "clean edit" and the "radio edit." Both edits cut to 2:20 from 3:07 on the album version. The differences between the two edits is that the clean edit has the words "crystal meth" censored through backmasking. Radio stations that chose not to edit the drug reference played the radio edit.
sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:08 am
@djjd62,
Heh... at least that isn't totally obvious.

I don't mind double-entendre stuff, like in "Runaway Baby" (Bruno Mars)

So many eager young bunnies
That I'd like to pursue

Now even now they eating out
The palm of my hand
There's only one carrot
And they all gotta share it

But Nicki Minaj, say:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/super-bass-lyrics-nicki-minaj.html

(Won't let me copy and paste and I'm too lazy/busy to type out the Shocked parts.)

I don't mind it as myself, but my daughter really does not like the lyrics to that song and when I looked them up I could see why.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:28 pm
(Except for one boy saying [good-naturedly] that he hated the Jason Mraz song, seemed to go well. The party percolated along and mild dancing broke out at several points.)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:31 pm
@sozobe,
Yaaaay.
0 Replies