MORNING - from A Season in Hell by Arthur Rimbaud

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:29 am
Hadn't I once a youth that was lovely, heroic, fabulous - - something to write down on pages of gold? ... I was too lucky! Through what crime, by what fault did I deserve my present weakness? You who imagine that animals sob with sorrow, that the sick despair, that the dead have dreams, try now to relate my fall and my sleep. I can explain myself no better than the beggar with his endless Aves and Pater Nosters. I no longer know how to talk!

And, yet, today, I think I have finished this account of my Hell. And it was Hell; the old one, whose gates were opened by the Son of Man.

From the same desert, toward the same dark sky, my tired eyes forever open on the silver star, forever; but the three wise men never stir, the Kings of life, the heart, the soul, the mind. When will we go, over mountains and shores, to hail the birth of new labor, new wisdom, the flight of tyrants and demons, the end of superstition, to be the first to adore ... Christmas on earth!

The song of the heavens, the marching of nations! We are slaves; let us not curse life.

Paul Schmidt - - 1976
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,722 • Replies: 1
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:46 am
THE DRUNKEN BOAT by Arthur Rimbaud
0 Replies