Ipods? What to look for/costs - what do they do?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:06 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I don't get charged when using my iPod to text (using the 'Messages' app). Maybe the people I'm texting are getting charged? In that case, who cares? LOL

Well yeah - if you're using an iPod, there's no way to charge you, you aren't on any sort of monthly plan and the data is flowing over a wi-fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you're likely paying for those messages as part of your bundled data plan.

I think you're correct - if you are messaging a cell phone, they are probably paying a charge on the other end to receive it.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, I have to say, this is a high-quality little gadget, but not that easy to figure out (unless you're a teenager). Thanks to you and dj, btw, for the heads up on dragging & dropping...I finally did it!!!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:58 pm
Some summary information on "Texting" versus "Email":

Wiki wrote:
What is the difference between email and text messaging?
SMS or text messages are delivered through your wireless carrier and email is delivered through the internet. You can send email through your phone or deliver text messages via your computer so the main difference is in the delivery. SMS messages may charge the user minutes or credits where as free email accounts generally don't. Smart phones allow users to send and receive email to save on the cost of texting. Another alternative is to use a chat service through Gmail, yahoo, MSN, AIM or another instant messaging service.

Wiki wrote:

SMS usage in recent history:
In 2010, 6.1 trillion SMS text messages were sent. This translates into 192000 SMS per second. SMS has become a massive commercial industry, earning $114.6 billion globally in 2010. The global average price for an SMS message is $0.11, while mobile networks charge each other interconnect fees of at least $0.04 when connecting between different phone networks. While SMS is still a growing market, traditional SMS are becoming increasingly challenged by alternative messaging services which are available on smartphones with data connections, especially in western countries where some of these services attract users.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:32 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
That's what I call a "Chat" box. Its based on IRC. IRC is totally different than Email, both internally and in the interface.

No, generally "text messaging" uses SMS and/or MMS (short message service/multimedia message service).

The messages are sent over the network directly from one device to another. That's why it is distinct from E-mail (using SMTP and where messages are stored on a mail server) and IRC (where both users must connect to the same server).

While the interface has been streamlined, and may resemble IRC, it is very different "under the hood."

Edit: I see I'm a bit late.

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 06:49 am
@DrewDad,
That's a good summary though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:14 am
@Irishk,
Well most of these friends she texts - those using phones have unlimited texting or a certain amount of texts per month. I don't know anyone who pays for each text message. Usually it is part of a monthly plan. At least anyone who has teenagers have such a feature. We used to - and then decided to save money we got rid of the texting feature - why she uses the computer now.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:41 am
@Linkat,
The charges are bundled into their monthly fees. Unlimited text = higher subscription cost.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:03 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Edit: I'll add that if you have a mobile device that can operate as a wireless hotspot (such as an, ahem, Android phone), then you can continue to use network services.

iPhones do that too, BTW (with the carrier nonsense caveat, of course, but the OS has had the wifi hotspot feature for some time).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Anything I should be aware of?

With most Apple products I recommend timing the purchase right (for a variety of reasons) and here is a resource that helps with that:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Touch

The iPod touch is in mid-cycle right now. Buying it early is best as your resale value etc will be better and there's no buyer's remorse like buying the old model right before the new one with its new features comes out. Even if you don't want the new one it means you overpaid for the old one (because they'd start discounting the old version and used ones would be flooding the market).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:23 pm
Thought I'd let you know we went ahead and got an ipod touch. My daughter saved up $100 so I paid the difference. When I was shopping in BJ (similar to Costco) I saw they had one - that was $20 lower than at the apple store and every where else. I then went on line and saw that Walmart also had it for the same amount.

So any way, I went to the Apple store with my daughter to ask some questions and potentially buy one depending on their price. Well there price was $20 more. So I asked them why - the same product is at walmart and BJ $20 less. She told me if I could show her, they would match the price. So we went to the computer and I looked it up. She went to her manager and he said - no its an online special so you need to bring in a flyer with the sales price.

So I said sorry, but I would be dumb to buy it from you if on my way home I drive by BJs and can save $20. So I walked out.

Isn't that dumb - I was going to buy it on the spot - but yet for $20 they lost the sale (although I guess in a sense apple still gets some money for it).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 02:09 pm
@Linkat,
Well that's goofy. They should have price-matched for you - or explained why it's worth $20 more to buy it at the Apple store.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah - I asked straight out - why should I buy this from you, when I can get this $20 cheaper - the exact same thing? I figured maybe they would throw in some free downloads or whatever. Basically a blank stare with - no reason/ I don't blame you sort of response.

I would have thought Apple would have been a bit more "smart" about their sales techniques.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:52 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah - I asked straight out - why should I buy this from you, when I can get this $20 cheaper - the exact same thing? I figured maybe they would throw in some free downloads or whatever. Basically a blank stare with - no reason/ I don't blame you sort of response.

I would have thought Apple would have been a bit more "smart" about their sales techniques.

The company is currently sitting on over 60 billion dollars in cash profits. They don't care if you buy it from them or someone else. Also, you're not an Apple fanboi, so they look down on you to begin with.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 04:13 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Basically a blank stare with - no reason
Tipsy at The Genius Bar!!!
Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 04:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I am not an expert by far - but we own an apple at home.
0 Replies