Ipods? What to look for/costs - what do they do?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:03 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
More formal than texting anyway.

In general, kids seem to see email as something for school or for communicating with grown-ups.
Texting is for communicating with each other.
Have u asked them the reason that thay text instead of CALLING ?
faster, easier, more comprehensive
sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have actually.

I don't quite get that.

It seems to have to do with being able to choose whether to respond or not.

If they get a call, "Can you come over?" they have to say yes or no.

If they get a text, there's an option of saying three hours later "Oops, just got this, sorry. Maybe later!"

Plus just generally having a little time to think of a response, or to get to something when you have time, not all about avoidance.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Its cool and way more fun...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:11 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Oh, I see.

That's what I call a "Chat" box. Its based on IRC. IRC is totally different than Email, both internally and in the interface.

Nope - not a chat box. It's not IRC based. It's a graphical representation of sequential text messages.

Quote:
The big difference is the interface (as you can see in your screenshot) and in the fact that the participants are connected in real-time through a server (so there is very little delay in delivery).

Nope, not how it works. It's just mocked up to look that way.

Quote:
Originally, "Texting" was something done on Cell phones which functioned more like Email. If what they are now calling "Texting" is actually IRC (Internet Relay Chat), then texting has evolved into something very different than it originally was.

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently "texting" has morphed into "chat".

Haha, it hasn't morphed into chat!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Yes,texting is all free!

Just to be clear - no it ain't! There may be some programs that allow you to send texts for free - computer-based programs - but if you send a text to a cell phone, from a cell phone, you are being charged to send it and the other person is being charged to receive it. Some cell phone plans have unlimited texting, but you're paying for it somehow.

I do believe that Apple has some apps that allow iphone users to text each other for free, but that's about it.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

sozobe wrote:
More formal than texting anyway.

In general, kids seem to see email as something for school or for communicating with grown-ups.
Texting is for communicating with each other.
Have u asked them the reason that thay text instead of CALLING ?
faster, easier, more comprehensive

It's asynchronous - you can have a conversation without actually being bothered to stop what you are currently doing.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:14 pm
@sozobe,
I see.

Well, when I was young, I coud have hauled out a typewriter
and written friends a letter. ( I DID send a post card once, for dramatic effect-- it worked.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's asynchronous - you can have a conversation without actually being bothered to stop what you are currently doing.

Cycloptichorn

But then half the time they're sitting there texting in a continuous stream for an hour at a time!

I don't actually object at all, and I get the appeal (she says, on an online forum), I just think it's funny that they're so phone-averse.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
TIME SHIFTING!
I see. I still have not gotten cawt up with my videotapes
from another century.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:43 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Omg, I was practically pulling my hair out trying to set this thing up lol!! NOW you tell me I can drag and drop??? Can I then delete iTunes off my computer? It's got something called Web2Kit that runs when I don't want it to and really slows my connection Sad

i still have itunes, but when you connect the ipod, click on the ipod name, and on the summary page, under options, check manually manage music and videos, after that you can drag an d drop stuff from other folders right into, music, video or books, some things still need to be done through itunes, audible books, movies or tv shows downloaded from itunes
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It is free, Cyclo!
They found an online site where each kid get's a number and the text messages go through these numbers. Look, this is what they use
http://www.pinger.com/content/home.html
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, Sozobe posted about that once. Hah, I still haven't signed up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

It is free, Cyclo!
They found an online site where each kid get's a number and the text messages go through these numbers. Look, this is what they use
http://www.pinger.com/content/home.html

There are 'texting' services that exchange messages for free, but 'text messaging' - ie, sending out texts using the phone companies' data networks, to another phone number - most certainly is not free. Pinger is an app that found a cute way around that.

You might be interested to know that various phone companies are pressuring Apple to deny services like Pinger - it cuts into their profits.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
How can they charge you from the sent side of things? My daughter sends texts all the time from the computer to various friends' cell phones - we do not pay a dime.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You might be interested to know that various phone companies are pressuring Apple to deny services like Pinger - it cuts into their profits.
Cycloptichorn

Oh yes, I know, but Apple has a very young clientele, they're not jeopardizing this, plus Apple doesn't strike me that they would allow anyone to pressure them. The various phone providers have made - and are still making - enough money of us parents, screw them! Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
@Linkat,
He's saying that the providers charge for the service one way or another. There may or may not be marginal costs for sending/receiving texts on a per-message basis, but somehow you're paying for it.

That particular program might be "free," but I guarantee that they've found a way to monetize it. Like we "pay for" Able2Know via being consumers of the advertising. (yes, I know that Able2Know is a break-even affair.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

How can they charge you from the sent side of things? My daughter sends texts all the time from the computer to various friends' cell phones - we do not pay a dime.

You get charged when sending a text FROM a phone or receiving one ON a phone. This all used to be a LOT clearer back in the pre-smartphone days, when text messages were sent from and to phones and that was it!

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I was saying she was using a computer to send texts no phone.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:01 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I was saying she was using a computer to send texts no phone.

Yeah, I got that part - is she sending the message to a phone on the other end? If so, the person on the other end is likely paying something. If it's just another computer, they probably are not paying anything.

'Text Messaging' is a very specific industry term, typically reserved for phone-to-phone communication. The whole thing is confusing in light of modern phone/computer combos.

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't get charged when using my iPod to text (using the 'Messages' app). Maybe the people I'm texting are getting charged? In that case, who cares? LOL