Calling enthusiasts of crime fiction!

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 11:40 am
@ossobuco,
Ah, I forgot the famous Georges Simenon..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Simenon

I only read one of his books and that a long time ago.. remember liking it.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:28 pm
@msolga,
Conan Doyle once said that the more featureless and commonplace a crime is, the more difficult it is to bring it home...

There is no drama without a little horror...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:38 pm
I remembered another good writer, Donald Westlake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Westlake
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:50 pm
I'm a fan of Robert B Parker's "Spenser" novels. If I had to pick five favorites,
they would be A Catskill Eagle, Mortal Stakes, Taming A Seahorse, Pale Kings
And Princes
, and A Savage Place.

I also like the "Brother Cadfael" novels of Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter).
Too hard to pick favorites there.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
@George,
ITV serialised some of the Cadfael books, with Derek Jacobi in the title role.
panzade

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 01:40 pm
Speaking of English and American crime writers; one of the best current American crime writers is English.
His name is Lee Child and his protagonist is Jack Reacher.
I believe there are 15 books in the series and I've devoured everyone, sometimes in an all-night reading marathon.
If you want to read them in chronological order here is the list:
http://leechild.com/books.php

Warning: Once you start it's hard to stop.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 01:41 pm
@panzade,
I was trying to remember his name, like him too, Panz.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 02:20 pm
@msolga,
I love James Patterson's books.

Some have turned into movies, such as "kiss the girls".. He seems to make it all feel so real and follows on with his characters such as Alex Cross. Morgan Freeman played him in kiss the girls.

For me? Probably as I have always had an interest in physcology, looking for the pattern of why people murder, perhaps.. I used to read Ann Rule, she was a Detective in real life, in America. Her books were non-fiction and some, quite shocking, some she gained permission from the "Murders" to write their stories..

It's easy to read a book, not easy to be shocked or gleen a different ending than you thought was going to happen... That makes it hard to put a book down.

I so need to slow down with work and start reading again... Smile
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 02:37 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
...there are 15 books in the series and I've devoured everyone, sometimes in an all-night reading marathon.
Whilst craving a cup of coffee, no doubt Smile

I've heard a rumor that Tom Cruise is set to portray Reacher in One Shot...aargh! Cruise is the very last person I envision when conjuring a mental image of Jack Reacher!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
ITV serialised some of the Cadfael books, with Derek Jacobi in the title role.
Yes, we got them this side as well. Jacobi was outstanding!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:51 pm
Wow, this thread is great. I'm new to the genre, and i ain't never heard a most a these jokers . . .

Brother Cadfael was OK, but he didn't really get me excited. Has anyone else here read any of the novels of Ariana Franklin (i just learned that that was a pen name for Diana Norman, who has now sadly crossed the bar)? She wrote Mistress of the Art of Death, The Serpent's Tale, Grave Goods and A Murderous Procession. You can visit her web site here. The premise is an awful stretch, but if you accept it, these are cracking good mystery yarns and adventure stories. I highly recommend them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:27 pm
I haven't gotten in gear yet to mention the many many many (as my friend Bonnie used to say) ex-pat writers from England, US, etc, who have written mysteries/crime procedurals set in Italy. Some hefty portion of those have to do with art theft. Oh, then there's Dan Brown, a name that causes me to swear.. not just about the writing, but now Volterra is some damned tourist magnet. I've easily read two or three hundred of these things. Some names rise to the top, later on that.

Still want to write a Soho Crime post. This'll be a good way to list my hoard in case I figure out how to sell them as a batch. It's easier though for people to just go to the site, which is plenty informative. http://www.sohocrime.com/
The backlist makes me salivate.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:35 pm
Panz will remember John D. MacDonald.. all of which I enjoyed, but haven't read for a long time.

If ya like horseracing, William Murray, a good writer of many genres, wrote some crime books about that. Well, so did whatsisname, a prolific writer I'm forgetting right now... but I found Murray more interesting. Edit, that was Dick Francis.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, on selling my Sohos as a batch, I'm thinking of Powell's books or some similar places. Not hinting re people on a2k. There's a famous bookstore in Denver I want to check out that might buy a set like that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:49 pm
I just was introduced to a new writer - Jamie Freveletti. She's a trial lawyer and came by accident into writing. So far she's written 3 books and they're so enthralling, I couldn't put the book down until it was finished.

She writes thrillers about current events - the hijacking in Somalia, the tourist kidnappings in Colombia and her latest book is about drug trafficking in Mexico. All 3 books have the same main characters - Emma Caldridge, a chemist, Cameron Sumner, works undercover for the DOD (dept. of defense), Banner and Strohmeyer are high ranking ex-military and affiliated with the DOD.

I hope she's writing her 4th book in a hurry as I am addicted now!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Listening, those sound v. interesting, CJane.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:54 pm
Henning Mankell and Patricia Highsmith are also favorites of mine.

There is also a German writer - Frank Schätzing who writes brilliantly.
"Death and the Devil" is so captivating. A historic thriller that plays in the
year 1260. Murders and mayhem in Medieval Germany. It's translated into English too.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, you'd like her style of writing, osso. Very analytical (like a lawyer), detail oriented, yet so captivating. I am in awe with her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm trying to get Roger to read Mankell.. not doing well so far. (Hi, Roger)

Highsmith, I had an early copy of hers in hardback. What the hell did I do with it.. probably salvation army.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:08 pm
updated list
(feel free to correct any misspellings or add any omissions):

Arthur Conan Doyle
Ngaio Marsh
Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo
Dorothy Sayers
P. D. James
Sue Grafton
Raymond Chandler