Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"

8th

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:16 am
I would like some ideas or thoughts or anything anyone has to say about the story. I simply need other points of view. Please and thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 879 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:25 am
I really liked it.

Joe(It only works if you believe murderers have scruples.)Nation
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:27 am
@8th,
Let's hear what you thought about it first. You have read it, right?
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:28 am
@Joe Nation,
or the smallest vestiges of a conscience. CAnt you hear the heart beating?
Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:30 am
@8th,
What sort of ideas or thoughts are you looking for? (read: What is your instructor asking you to write on?)

It's a very Poe'ish look into the nature of guilt and insanity.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:31 am
@farmerman,
Me? Not over the sound of my own heart banging away inside my chest.

Joe(hey, maybe THAT's what he heard)Nation
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:40 am
@8th,
Compare it to Doestoyevsky's story of murder... Consider the whole range of the anti rationality that came out of that age in characters like Baudelaire, the French Poet who did much to bring Poe into the light, or the philosopher Nietzsche, or later, Freud.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 12:49 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Consider the whole range of the anti rationality that came out of that age in characters like Baudelaire, the French Poet who did much to bring Poe into the light, or the philosopher Nietzsche, or later, Freud.
Youre not a teacher in junior high are you?
roger

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
Describe the Universe. Give two examples and use the Socratic Dialoges as your point of departure.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Consider the whole range of the anti rationality that came out of that age in characters like Baudelaire, the French Poet who did much to bring Poe into the light, or the philosopher Nietzsche, or later, Freud.
Youre not a teacher in junior high are you?
Just because I am pedantic is no reason to assume I have had the benefit of a formal education... I would suggest a Thomas Mann essay: "Dostoyevsky--- Within Limits".... Dostoyevsky too suffered his madness, his fits, and his obscessions... There, Mann considers both Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky and the relationship between mental disease and creativity... Might be an interesting and informative piece, and give the kid two points of a triangle with Poe as a third... Just a thought...

How would you consider these works... Are they not in the Gothic Romance style of Shelly's Frankenstein???
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:14 pm
@Ragman,
I have yet to read it, I just want something(s) it think and apply for when I do.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:26 pm
@8th,
If we tell you we will spoil the surprise of the story.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:18 am
Oh, you haven't read it.
Well, pay attention to what the blond in the red dress, not the one with the rabbit, says to the Second Assistant Secretary of War.
The story has been written up as an allegory about enigmas, but you might want to think of it as a deconstructive mirror image of a well known Swedish folk tale.

Joe(or you could spend an hour reading it.)Nation
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 05:23 am
@Joe Nation,
I have to state my amazement at Joes ability to succinctly capture the true and deeper meaning of the story. Damn if you didnt nail it!
0 Replies