OK, but who's been the best hip-hop artist of all time?

nimh

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 04:55 pm
So, we had a few cool hip hop threads here, rap is crap (yeh, right), Foshizzle my nizzle, hip hop and Jurassic 5. But now Ive been sitting in this internet cafe for a few hours, and in the background MTV has been counting down the 22 best MCs in history ... and picking up on the fragments of music and lyrics that be wafting through to where I'm sitting, I'm just amazed at everything thats been, how much its been, how much brilliant stuff theres been even just in the mainstream of rap. I heard Rakim come by, NWA, Ice-T, PE, the Beasties, I dunno if Schoolly D was in there but he shoulda been, Run DMC, Nelly, Missy Elliott, Eminem, and now on numero uno they got 2Pac ... how much its been, people, how much its been. So whats your take - who was the best hip hop artist of history?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,439 • Replies: 35
No top replies

joe1949

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:08 pm
I would have to say tu-pac
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:38 pm
Tu Pac, period.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:11 pm
Ice, ice, baby.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 07:03 pm
2Pac with no competition whatsoever.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:26 pm
Tupac? Gee, It's amazing what dying can do for your public image.

I'd have to say Ice Cube or Dre.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:01 am
My List:
1. Ice Cube/ WEstside COnnection
2. Nas
3. Eminem (when he's rapping with other people and not doing his own **** like My Name Is, etc...)

Quote:
Tupac? Gee, It's amazing what dying can do for your public image.

Ya, he wasnt even that good. I guess if you die people feel sorry for you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 01:48 pm
I dont know about "best", but the ones that changed my take on everything were, first, Public Enemy, then, NWA, "Straight outta Compton". They were groundbreaking each, changed the rules of the game.

Hardly got to see any of 'em live, but Ice-T was muchos better than PE, or perhaps I was just unlucky. I also wanna mention Eric B & Rakim, cause they were the first that got me listening to hip-hop and Paid in Full still lingers with me. And recently, Eminem's different from all the rest.

I must admit I kinda tuned out for a bit in the middle, in the second half of the nineties say, so ... my list would be incomplete
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 03:21 pm
Hey, isn't Sir Mix-a-lot on anyone's list? <snicker>
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
El-Diablo wrote:

Ya, he wasnt even that good. I guess if you die people feel sorry for you.

Stupid!!!! GOD THAT IS DUMB!!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:55 pm
Another great one.....Chuck D!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:32 pm
IceT and PE,, and Dr Dre, and Ice Cube.

Eric B. and Rakim made us white people "try" to dance to mainstream hiphop "dancemusic". I still love that song.

PDiddie has done loads for hiphop and RnB the last coupla years, but so has Dr Dre.

But never forget...Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer!! ;-)
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:36 am
My favorite - Ice T, Dr Dre, and tu pac

In my opinion, Vanilla Ice is one of the worst musicians ever, but thats just me, so dont yell at me...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
Heh, Kevin, I think BigDice was joking about Vanilla and Hammer ...

I could add MC Miker G and DJ Sven - Holiday Rap, yehoo! <grins>

Didnt Vanilla Ice come back a coupla years back claiming to have been ****ed over by his then-record company? Saying that, really, he'd been way street cred, but they'd forced him to sell out? Yeeeaaahhh - right. Anyway, I think he was claiming he had suffered years of ridicule for it, never found his way back again, and that I believe! ;-)
0 Replies

Gibson Chick

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
Missy Elliot ROX, and thats the truth.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:13 pm
nimh wrote:
Heh, Kevin, I think BigDice was joking about Vanilla and Hammer ...

I could add MC Miker G and DJ Sven - Holiday Rap, yehoo! <grins>

Didnt Vanilla Ice come back a coupla years back claiming to have been ****ed over by his then-record company? Saying that, really, he'd been way street cred, but they'd forced him to sell out? Yeeeaaahhh - right. Anyway, I think he was claiming he had suffered years of ridicule for it, never found his way back again, and that I believe! ;-)

So, a year or two or three or four (I can't count very high with my mittens on) ago, I turned on the tube, flipped around, landed on an MTV show where they were retiring videos -- videos that were never to be broadcast again. So I watched awhile. I think the hosts were Janeane (sp?) Garafalo (sp?), Ben Stiller, and Dennis Leary, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, the set was this faux attic room with faux attic-room-renter furniture. Sometime during the show, Mr. Ice (Vanilla to friends, I'm sure) comes in all pierced and corporate alt-rocky. The hosts ridicule him mercilessly, and he gets irritated and quarter-jokingly startes busting up the set. Throwing lamps around, tossing furniture, while the other folks look on in abject something-or-other. Haven't watched that vile network since. (I mean, if they're going to retire a Rick Springfield video I'm going to boycott, you know?)
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
I have to agree with the masses Tu Pac would have to be in that list.

Personally, if there must be rap, I prefer it to be a song that has a meaning, other than killing people, drugs, mistreating women, and seeing how many words of the English language can substituted... So... that said... There isn't much to choose from.

So, besides Tupac..
I love Missy Elliott
Umm.. Nelly!

I can think of several singles that I like, but no other artists really stand out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:41 pm
The people who say Tu Pac's death is why he is popular ignore really basic facts.

He held many records for rap album sales before he was killed. It's an easy way to disparage his legacy, but a meaningless one.

He was heading up many "best rapper of all time" lists before his death.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:17 pm
2pack or not 2Pack
mr batman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:34 pm
@Algis Kemezys,
eminem bros then 50 cent maybe tupac third
tupacs got the best rhymes but i dont like his voice
but hus ta ****, thats my method of choice