Digital merit badges

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:34 pm
Has anyone else been reading a lot about these lately? I think it's a fascinating idea that has some real implications on how people might be educated in the future.

Essentially, they are badges awarded by organizations that prove the holder of the badge has mastery of a very specific topic.

A person responsible for hiring could scan (or click) on the badges and get all of the information about the organization that awarded the badge as well as all the information about the person who earned the badge. This would allow them to pinpoint the best candidate to fill specific positions.

I could see this effecting higher education in a couple of really interesting ways:

Colleges would become essentially trade school (something I think they're doing right now, anyway). People would pretty much work on their own, without the usual time constraints of class, doing the work as quickly or as slowly as they wanted to do it, only meeting with their professor when they got stuck. With this scenario actual physical colleges could eventually disappear. Maybe holding a degree wouldn't be important at all, just acquiring badges would be the goal.

Or, colleges could become more like they once were, where humanities ruled and a good, broad exposure to the world, it's history and it's cultures were what was taught. Classes requiring creativity rather than technical prowess would be sought after. Holding a degree would show the person had several streams of thought from which to draw from.

It reminds me very much of the Steve Jobs speech I heard where he says that the college course he took that he credited most for his success was calligraphy.

Here's a couple of the shorter articles I've read lately about digital merit badges: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/business/digital-badges-may-highlight-job-seekers-skills.html?_r=3, http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2012/01/26/the-end-of-the-diploma-as-we-know-it/

What do you think about these and what, if any, effect do you think they will have on education?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:36 pm
@boomerang,
Interesting. I'll have to think more on it - I can get its usefulness right away. On the other hand, being in a class with others really was a positive thing back in land arch school.
boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I think the social aspect of classes is dying off already since there are so many other ways to connect.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:22 pm
i just got my new digital demerit badge
http://humpdayreport.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/liar.jpg?w=479
boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:26 pm
@djjd62,
I don't believe you......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:31 am
Looks like MIT is a real forerunner in this....
Quote:

MITx is the next big step in the open-educational-resources movement that MIT helped start in 2001, when it began putting its course lecture notes, videos, and exams online, where anyone in the world could use them at no cost. The project exceeded all expectations—more than 100 million unique visitors have accessed the courses so far.

Reif emphasizes that the courses will be built with MIT-grade difficulty. Not everyone will be able to pass them. But, he says, "we believe strongly that anyone in the world who can dedicate themselves and learn this material should be given a credential."

In the hunt for the best and brightest students around the globe, MIT won't need to guess who's in the top 1 percent of 1 percent—it can simply pick them out of the millions of students who will enroll in MITx.

http://chronicle.com/article/MIT-Mints-a-Valuable-New-Form/130410
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:38 am
@boomerang,
If you're interested in the MIT project and similar developments in eduction, listen to Episode 2 of

http://www.cbc.ca/recivilization/

Quote:
Episode Two: Open-Source Knowledge
In episode two of ReCivilization, Don looks at the transformation of education and science, and how the sharing of knowledge is moving from the industrial-age model of a one-way broadcast from teacher to student to collaborative, discovery-driven learning, enabled by the web. He also examines a new model for science that favours open data over isolated, patent-driven research.

Recivilization is a wonderful new radio series on the CBC
boomerang

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks ehBeth. I'll give it a listen!
0 Replies